The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'd just watched a trailer for the game right before posting that, then some in-game play video, and it was the typical "360 crail grab off the kicker to nosegrind the handrail, heelflip off the rail to manual to varial flip and land in a bluntslide on the ledge to 180 indy grab out."

When are they going to get over that stupid shit? It belittles real skating. I'd like to see a control system that would reward you for being able to actually land on the board after kickflipping into a BS tailslide, then again for landing the tailslide, then maybe some style points for cleanliness. I guess that would be boring to anyone who doesn't actually skate. If it weren't for the retarded Tony Hawk games, regular kids might appreciate some semblance of realism. That being said, it looks like Skate at least makes a gesture towards that, with not automatically landing 360 heelflips every time.

The gamer industry has this retarded standard for what's supposed to be fun and it ruins everything. I was shopping for a game the other day and didn't want to shoot things, play some lame sport or be a vampire warlord, so i was shit out of luck. That would be cool if there were more games like Katamari Damacy.

I'd just watched a trailer for the game right before posting that, then some in-game play video, and it was the typical "360 crail grab off the kicker to nosegrind the handrail, heelflip off the rail to manual to varial flip and land in a bluntslide on the ledge to 180 indy grab out."

When are they going to get over that stupid shit? It belittles real skating. I'd like to see a control system that would reward you for being able to actually land on the board after kickflipping into a BS tailslide, then again for landing the tailslide, then maybe some style points for cleanliness. I guess that would be boring to anyone who doesn't actually skate. If it weren't for the retarded Tony Hawk games, regular kids might appreciate some semblance of realism. That being said, it looks like Skate at least makes a gesture towards that, with not automatically landing 360 heelflips every time.

The gamer industry has this retarded standard for what's supposed to be fun and it ruins everything. I was shopping for a game the other day and didn't want to shoot things, play some lame sport or be a vampire warlord, so i was shit out of luck. That would be cool if there were more games like Katamari Damacy.

I've actually never seen anything crazier than a flip in flip out on ANY of the demos for this...

Show me the one you're talking about.

i sound like i fucking made the game but

from what i understand is that the Skate game is like what youre looking for.

theres no "grind" button, and you have to balance, and move the joystick to do another flip trick.

plus the characters show their style,

so when gonz does a kickflip its his mob flip for sure.

all you cali guys have it nice when it comes to skating.

every year for me as a kid went something like this.

spring hits, brand new board, skate everyday like a madman,

summer, perfect every trick that i wanted to that year,

fall, actually get comfortable with the new tricks and get routines down,

winter comes and its damn cold outside and the only thing to skate are

indoor parking garages with security guards that have nothing better to do.

i still hate winter. it hurts when you fall in the cold, your joints are stiff, and

if you ever take a rest, you freeze. then i lose most of my tricks

and begin the whole process over again the next year.

ive never skated a skatepark in my life and i probably never will.

too many damn people, helmet rules, and paid memberships.

if it was concrete, no rules, and free i would skate it but not

if there were a hundred rug rats there.

ill take a curb in a parking lot any day.

LOL!!!! Film it and get it on here! :lol:

I have maybe 2-3 old 8mm casasettes of me skating . I think one of them was me in San Francisco bombing hills and skating around Chinatown . When we moved last November they got thrown into a box . I'll dig around when I can get some time .

I've actually never seen anything crazier than a flip in flip out on ANY of the demos for this...

Show me the one you're talking about.

HAL, you should REALLY try the game out. At least the demo. I think its pretty much exactly what you're looking for, which happens to be exactly what my friends and I have always wanted in a skate game. I spent about an hour and a half skating one stair set and one rail yesterday morning before work. And thats just a tiny fraction of the huge city you have at your disposal to skate. Its sick. Please try it out.