Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SCOTCH WHISKEO

God, its great to be the king.

Recommended Posts

I hate Blade's stuff. I recognize the ridiculous amount of work he put in and his immense influence on graf... but god that guy's stuff is ugly. Amazingly it's even uglier now.

 

------------------

buddha bless you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Fox Mulder:

i could be wrong but i think i went to his site a long time ago and it wanted me to pay to see the flicks.

 

 

lol,,nah he wants you to pay if you want to get real print!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah but aint ugly so damn pretty sometimes? I remember benching at Atlantic ave. when every other car on the 2s and 5s had a big funky nasty Blade on it and getting a certain rush...maybe it just doesn't translate in to photos, but man oh man! Loverly. Its sorta like listening to SHAM69 or the Ramones, or M.O.P. for that matter. Sure, James Taylor's songs are prettier, maybe technically superior too, but they just dont seem to get me amped .

 

[This message has been edited by SCOTCH WHISKEO (edited 06-29-2001).]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest WebsterUno

I smell ya Whisky.

I wasnt there, but Im diggin his stuff.

I especially like them one in Subway Art

The black whole car, with BLADE N DOLORES

in a somewhat spacey background. I think it

had spoons on it. Those were done back in 70-what?

Dudes old enough to be my dad. Thats TUFF ENUFF!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Aroe*ones

Blade's shit is so funky freshhh.When i see it i get the same feeling i do when i pull a dusty old funky break out the crate's.Its funky raw style and flavor that can't be re-created nowadays no matter how hard u try.All hail a king!What up Scotch..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by bored as hell:

its moving wtf

 

 

I must be trippin...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blade? Ugly...are you on crack? no but seriously. i hear comments like this often from younger writers. understand this. when you look at graffiti from the 1970's you are witnessing creation. there were no mags, books or websites to reference. no custon caps to make piecing 100x easier. no legal walls to practice on over and over again until you did something decent enough to take to the lines(or any illegal medium for that matter). these motherfuckers were creating style and techniques from scratch. a lot of the same shit you/we are doing today, they set the standard on. so before you jump up and call a legend like blade 'ugly', because his shit is not overcluttered with arrows and straight lines, or because its readable, you might wanna get a better understanding on style origins and its place throughout writing history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BLADE WAS DEFINATLY A MAJOR PLAYR IN THE WHOLE EVOLUTION OF THIS GRAFF GAME...JUST BECAUSE ITS NOT WILD STYLE OR CRAZY COMPLEX DOESNT MEAN IT DOESNT HAVE FLAVOR, RESPECT THE OLD TIMERS.. THEY MADE THIS SHIT HAPPEN FOR US TODAY....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.bladekingofgraf.com/images/blade.gif'>

I totally hear what yer saying SCOTCH. Blade had/has some really off the walls ideas and put in hella work but was somewhat lacking in the skills department. Like, what the hell are those little M&M looking characters with the robotic legs in the lower right of the above painted train? I may not find all of his work visually pleasing but none the less he is 1 of my most respected writers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UOTE]Originally posted by Average White Railfan:

Blade? Ugly...are you on crack? no but seriously. i hear comments like this often from younger writers. understand this. when you look at graffiti from the 1970's you are witnessing creation. there were no mags, books or websites to reference. no custon caps to make piecing 100x easier. no legal walls to practice on over and over again until you did something decent enough to take to the lines(or any illegal medium for that matter). these motherfuckers were creating style and techniques from scratch. a lot of the same shit you/we are doing today, they set the standard on. so before you jump up and call a legend like blade 'ugly', because his shit is not overcluttered with arrows and straight lines, or because its readable, you might wanna get a better understanding on style origins and its place throughout writing history.

 

Wow, that's patronizing.

 

For starters, I've been writing/ looking at graf/ studying it/ thinking about it for longer than probably two thirds the people on this board have been alive. Put it this way, the first time I was arrested for Graf was in the mid 80s.

 

Second, like I said, I really do understand all of the things you just said I just didn't feel like outlining the whole history of graf just to prove I know it. I mean, even if I hadn't been around for a long time, I read ESPO's book too. And for good measure, I read PHASE's book too (and there are definitely some people shown in that book- same era- that I really dig.) That's why I said, "his immense influence on graf." But, with all that in mind, I still think it's ugly. I think the guy's got an amazing imagination. I just don't like the way he executes it. I.e, it's not because it's old and doesn't look like CES, it's because I simply don't like his stuff in and of itself.

 

------------------

buddha bless you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey...Its all a matter of personal preference, alot of folks I know think Blades shit is hideous. I guess thats part of the reason I get such a kick out of it, Blade is a guy who never changed his style up, never followed "current graffiti trends", in fact he doesn't even recognize most writers after 76. Acts like he never heard of 'em. His pieces in the late 80s looked the same as his pieces in the 70s. There's just something I admire about that.At a time when it seemed like everyone was trying to be DONDI or SKEME, to see a blade whole-car pull in was refeshing. Its like he didn't take himself too seriously (while doing SERIOUS damage). Shit like those smiley face, M&M looking characters always made me smile. He made it okay to relax and not worry about every line being perfectly straight.We need all kinds in graffiti in order to be balanced, and BLADE is like the Grandma Moses of this game. Primitve Funk. Love it or hate it. But recognize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by SCOTCH WHISKEO:

Hey...Its all a matter of personal preference, alot of folks I know think Blades shit is hideous. I guess thats part of the reason I get such a kick out of it, Blade is a guy who never changed his style up, never followed "current graffiti trends", in fact he doesn't even recognize most writers after 76. Acts like he never heard of 'em. His pieces in the late 80s looked the same as his pieces in the 70s. There's just something I admire about that.At a time when it seemed like everyone was trying to be DONDI or SKEME, to see a blade whole-car pull in was refeshing. Its like he didn't take himself too seriously (while doing SERIOUS damage). Shit like those smiley face, M looking characters always made me smile. He made it okay to relax and not worry about every line being perfectly straight.We need all kinds in graffiti in order to be balanced, and BLADE is like the Grandma Moses of this game. Primitve Funk. Love it or hate it. But recognize.

 

Oh, like I said right off the bat, I recognize his place, in history.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have said anything else in this thread if someone hadn't parroted ESPO and thrown the "Art of Getting Over, the Cliff's Notes version" at me and tried to school me with cliches. I don't need to hear that shit like I'm some 15 year old kid. Fuck, I've held the opinion that Blade's shit is ugly for longer than 15 years...

 

 

------------------

buddha bless you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, like I said right off the bat, I recognize his place, in history.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have said anything else in this thread if someone hadn't parroted ESPO and thrown the "Art of Getting Over, the Cliff's Notes version" at me and tried to school me with cliches. I don't need to hear that shit like I'm some 15 year old kid. Fuck, I've held the opinion that Blade's shit is ugly for longer than 15 years...

 

I never even read enough of the art of getting over to quote it. if you felt like you were being schooled then maybe, subconciously you need to be, but i am/was not trying to school you..im still in school myself. i was just giving you my opinion on your opinion. hey if you think blades shit is ugly your right, thats just your opinion and your entitled to it...sorry if i offended you....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by WebsterUno:

I especially like them one in Subway Art

The black whole car, with BLADE N DOLORES

in a somewhat spacey background.

 

Yeah, I checked that out last night, that was awesome!! Ha, the Dolores chick doesn't look like what I'd expect a writer to look like. Coincidentally, I found a Comet/Blade poster today while I was cleaning my room. Anybody got more post em!! http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//smile.gif'>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ha i am cleaning my room right now actuiall im not i am just looking at the filth on my floor ha ha ha ha lafklasdfl;sdal;fkslfkl;asdfkl;asdfl;kasdl;fa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blades shit is ridiculous. Like someone already said its just got a flavor to it.

I think Blade had minimal natural artisitic ability. I think all the artistry in his paintings is from working at it, and experience. Through work you can make great art..but it will always lack a certain something that a natural artist has. Lee & Seen are natural artists. Oh hell I dont know what Im saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×