Anyone else have ADHD?

Grandpa

i was gonna make a post on something similar but i figured i would save my breath. since you made this one.....i refuse to believe the answer is in a pill even though it might do me some good. i have all that cant concentrate shit going on but that isnt as bad as having anxiety attacks blacking out feeling like your gonna have a heart attack. that shit is fucked up i cant go to school believe me ive tried comm. college about 5 times now i really want to go. i get hot flashes and in highschool as well as in real life when i felt a teacher was putting me on the spot i would get all hot and pissed off and walk out of class or start an argument i went to 3 different high schools because of this shit.around strangers i always think everyone wants to fuck with me and i get confrontational over the littlest things.same goes when im at work with my managers . the list goes on and on... i try to think rationaly but it just doesnt seem to work...dr. fugazi any opinions....yes i know im asking for a diagnosis on a graff message board haha

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Grandpa@Dec 7 2004, 09:09 AM

well the adderall xr is also time released like the concerta right? so what are the differences? and i go to boston college

They are actually very similar. They are both time released over a 12 hour period, and have a fairly smooth release as opposed to Ritalin which is known to have "peaks and valleys". Ritalin also burns out after about 6 hours, leaving it less prescribed. What it comes down to is how well you tolerate Concerta, and whether or not you are seeing the effects that you desire. If you are unhappy with it for any reason I would suggest you talk to your doctor about trying Adderall XR. The benefit of psychostimulants is that you can tell within a day's span whether or not they are right for you; they aren't like an SSRI, which may take over a month until maximum effects are experienced. In the end, the difference comes down to what your prescribing doctor is more partial too. From the research I've read, both have been proven to be extremely effective in double blind and randomized experiments in which they were compared to a placebo.

Originally posted by cutlips@Dec 7 2004, 10:34 AM

i was gonna make a post on something similar but i figured i would save my breath. since you made this one.....i refuse to believe the answer is in a pill even though it might do me some good.  i have all that cant concentrate shit going on but that isnt as bad as having anxiety attacks blacking out feeling like your gonna have a heart attack. that shit is fucked up i cant go to school believe me ive tried comm. college about 5 times now  i really want to go. i get hot flashes and in highschool as well as in real life when i felt a teacher was putting me on the spot i would get all hot and pissed off and walk out of class or start an argument i went to 3 different high schools because of this shit.around strangers i always think everyone wants to fuck with me and i get confrontational over the littlest things.same goes when im at work with my managers . the list goes on and on... i try to think rationaly but it just doesnt seem to work...dr. fugazi any opinions....yes i know im asking for a diagnosis on a graff message board haha

I understand your concern for your situation; it seems like it's something you've been dealing with for a while, and has been causing you distress. First I'd like to address your opinion of medication. While I agree that the answer doesn't necessarily lie within a pill for you, I would ask that you and those of you who share a similar line of thinking to consider the following; if you were born with a chemical imbalance in your brain, causing you to feel or behave in a way that was maladaptive to you, would you really prefer to go through life with these feelings? The amount of conflict you have with your "situation" and how to correct it is evident in your writing. I encourage you to sit down and really think about trying something new. If this is holding you back from doing things that you want to, the time for change is at hand.

As far as your condition goes, let me forewarn you that I am in no means a licensed clinical psychologist, and I actually really have a problem with non-licensed persons attempting to make clinical judgements. That being said, since you asked for my input, I will share what I believe from the limited amount that I know you.

I would avoid dealing with any type of concentrational issues for the time being. The rationale for this would be that it would seem that these are secondary in nature and concern in regards to your anxiety. Also, most ADD/ADHD medications (psychostimulants) will aggravate your condition. You may even find that with the treatment of your anxiety, your concentrational issues are alleviated. What I would do, is find out what kind of medical insurance you have, and go see a doctor. What it sounds like to me is that you have something along the lines of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (DSM criteria 300.23 I believe). This is fairly common, occuring in as much as 5% of the general populous. The treatment for this is fairly simple and extremely efficient, you would probably be prescribed something such as Lexapro, which has very few side effects. If you're interested in looking up more on this condition, and how applicable it is to you, I would encourage you to look up Generalized Anxiety Disorder on the internet, and find out what the DSM criteria are, and whether or not you meet them, and then discuss with your doctor what his beliefs are, and what your line of treatment should be.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do. I believe this is a wonderful chance for change for you. Keep me posted.

Originally posted by effyoo@Dec 7 2004, 10:57 AM

alot has been said about the drugs, Fugazi, but if you have the time, can you say a few words about add and adhd?

what kind of 'condition' (for lack of a better word) is it? because i'm not sure, in a specific sense, what this entails...

I'll be brief, as it's 3 am and I have a group counseling session to lead at 8 am.

Basically, if I'm up to date, ADD has been phased out as a diagnostic term in lieu of ADHD in the current DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). There are three "types":

ADHD Primarily Inattentive:

This condition entails daydreaming, spacing off, not being focused, not paying attention to details, etc. There are nine specific criteria, and to be diagnosed, a person must meet six.

ADHD Primarily Hyperactivity:

Person has difficulty remaining seated, straying off task, talks excessively, acts as if driven by a motor, etc.

ADHD Combined Type:

A combination of characteristics from the above two.

Check out this website, I believe it has the current info, but you will need Adobe Acrobat/ Reader to read it:

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/images/pd...20criteria'

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Fugazi, youre interesting, lets talk psychology: iamgatita on AIM. And, I will have to make you prove its you cause I know how these 12oz cats like to take sn's and pretend they are other people... haha.

Anyway, wasnt this a thread recently? Im on Adderall XR and regular strength, due to my 19 hour days, and the fact that the XR only works for me for about 7 hours, and regular strength for about 3. Everybody is different.

Ive been reading a lot about ADD recently, especially since I dont want to be on meds for the rest of my life. But I did learn this month when I was without my meds for 30 days that they are actually highly effective and help me a lot (this wasnt psychosamatic either, because at first I didnt even realize I wasnt taking my meds and how kooky my behavior was).

I havent read all of the posts, Im sure Fugazi covered most of it, he seems like a well educated person. But, if you have any questions for a person whos on add meds personally just ask me.

Originally posted by Fugazi+Dec 6 2004, 08:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fugazi - Dec 6 2004, 08:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-society_kills@Dec 7 2004, 03:04 AM

I have add.

adhd probably.

add meds are neurological pathway changing meds. I like my neurological pathways. im just more intelligent and kind of hyper than the school system was equipped to deal with. so instead i learned about gangs, drugs, and graffiti. far more interesting than geometry and "american" history.

now i smoke a mild amount of marijauna to treat it...

But those meds are nothing more than pharmaceutical speed.

Hmmm. Well, current research indicates that the exact mechanism of ADHD and ADD medication is not known (other than it stimulates an area of the prefrontal cortex). If you know anything about the saliency of neural pathways, you'd understand that it's nearly impossible (if not completely) to change "neural pathways" via chemicals.

Smoking marijuana to treat ADHD? Interesting. As marijuana wouldn't have any effect on ADHD, as it isn't a stimulant, and doesn't work like the non-stimulant ADHD medications, it's interesting to hear that you're experiencing a placebo effect.

School systems do have a difficulty dealing with the "above-average" intelligence student. Don't pat yourself on the back quite so quickly though, as many people who have ADHD and are above average in intelligence actually do "worthwhile" things with their lives.

[/b]

whatever...

i diagnosed myself as add.

i dont like amphetamines. i dont like taking meds that have side effects.

if i smoke chronic, it allows me to reflect and anylize and see where add and adhd has affected my life.

the shool system here is complete shit. what i learned in 6th grade growing up over seas they taught me here in 11th.

I work in luxury fashion....i mean, i would rather design social infrastructure...schools, welfare systems, criminal justice systems...

and i feel i could do that with out some bullshit college degree...

college is nothing more than a hustle for the most part these days.

costs tons of money and unless your going to medical school or law school or trying to be a scientist...its a huge waste of time and money.

in the time i was sposed to have gone to college...i made around a 100 grand and have kick ass job experience that allows me to obtain jobs over people with college degrees because i have experience.

needless to say...no student loans, no credit cards, i will be a property owner by 32.

Originally posted by Fugazi+Dec 7 2004, 08:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fugazi - Dec 7 2004, 08:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hacer92@Dec 7 2004, 03:42 AM

The way i see it these medications are like brainwash used to mold kids who may not be conforming in the right way. But really u dont need it. Society has a false reality about how you should act and live that sometimes can never be achieved and when some kids cant meet up to these false standards they are diagnosed with disorders. The same reason so many sdults are on anti-depressants. They cant meet up to standards they see on tv so they may get depressed and even do insane things and act crazy so they end up taking medication.

That is just my philosophy dealing with things like that.

And to think, all this time I thought people were becoming depressed because of an imbalance in Seratonin levels, when all along I could have come on 12oz to learn it was from watching television and becoming sad.

[/b]

well what i mean is people have an idea of how they are supposed to live. When i saw this im mainly talking about middle and upper class families. They are taught and see how they are supposed to live and they are taught it all there life. When something goes wrong or there family is supposedly "Disfunctional" it seems the older people in the family will get depressed because they cant live up to what they were taught or see when what they were taught isnt truly perfect because it was made up in a human mind.

When u say low seratonin levels its not like depression is natural something triggers depression. It doesnt just come out of no where.

You're right, depression doesn't come completely out of nowhere, but my understanding was that a lot of people with hardcore depression were born with a chemical inbalance, then when something hardcore triggers that, the downward spiral begins.

I've suffered depression most of my life, sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes pretty hardcore. I haven't always had a good explanation for it.

Originally posted by society_kills@Dec 7 2004, 08:25 PM

whatever...

if i smoke chronic, it allows me to reflect and anylize and see where add and adhd has affected my life.

the shool system here is complete shit. what i learned in 6th grade growing up over seas they taught me here in 11th.

I work in luxury fashion....i mean, i would rather design social infrastructure...schools, welfare systems, criminal justice systems...

costs tons of money and unless your going to medical school or law school or trying to be a scientist...its a huge waste of time and money.

in the time i was sposed to have gone to college...i made around a 100 grand and have kick ass job experience that allows me to obtain jobs over people with college degrees because i have experience.

needless to say...no student loans, no credit cards, i will be a property owner by 32.

I suppose what it comes down to is personal preference. I prefer intellectual pursuits, rather than the chase of money. I had, and still have a job option where I could be making near $200,000 a year by my second year. I'm 22 years old. Instead, I opted to take a route that will entail 7 years or so of college, and I'll start at $55,000 for nine months if I'm lucky. Where will I be? Perhaps no where. I hope, however, to be an educated individual, working in a professional environment, with the ability to spend large amounts of time with my family.

You say that you don't like "side effects" from drugs; I wonder if you've ever taken a look at the long term effects of marijuana use? The increase it has on the size of neural-synaptic pathways is rather disheartening if you ask me...

Originally posted by Hacer92@Dec 7 2004, 11:45 PM

well what i mean is people have an idea of how they are supposed to live. When i saw this im mainly talking about middle and upper class families. They are taught and see how they are supposed to live and they are taught it all there life. When something goes wrong or there family is supposedly "Disfunctional" it seems the older people in the family will get depressed because they cant live up to what they were taught or see when what they were taught isnt truly perfect because it was made up in a human mind.

When u say low seratonin levels its not like depression is natural something triggers depression. It doesnt just come out of no where.

Depression in its clinical definition is not just something that is "triggered".

Originally posted by society_kills@Dec 8 2004, 12:37 AM

im manic deppressed.

i got paid 16 grand for being manic deppressed.

again, smoked chronic, thought about it....learned to master it and no longer let it effect me with out drugs whose long term side effects are unknown.

Why did you get paid $16,000, just out of curiousity? That's good that you learned to "master" your condition. The severity of many individuals' cases does not allow them to even come close to mastering their state. I've even seen ECT used in extreme cases. What kind of medication are you referring to? I believe they use Lithium Bicarbonate, which is fairly safe if you ask me...

Originally posted by Fugazi+Dec 7 2004, 05:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fugazi - Dec 7 2004, 05:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-society_kills@Dec 7 2004, 08:25 PM

whatever...

I suppose what it comes down to is personal preference. I prefer intellectual pursuits, rather than the chase of money. I had, and still have a job option where I could be making near $200,000 a year by my second year. I'm 22 years old. Instead, I opted to take a route that will entail 7 years or so of college, and I'll start at $55,000 for nine months if I'm lucky. Where will I be? Perhaps no where. I hope, however, to be an educated individual, working in a professional environment, with the ability to spend large amounts of time with my family.

You say that you don't like "side effects" from drugs; I wonder if you've ever taken a look at the long term effects of marijuana use? The increase it has on the size of neural-synaptic pathways is rather disheartening if you ask me...

[/b]

Thats remarkable.

I plan to get rich with property. Im making cool money now...I mean I get paid to be nice to people, surf the net, talk to hot women, and wear jeans....

I dont need education...naww money...

see if you buy property remodel it and lease it out and resell it, you can make a ton of cash. combined with the fact i would sell my propertys to familys who wouldnt otherwise be able to purchase them. In addition to this my friends are allready skilled contractors, licensed in real estate...and while not as young as you we are all pretty young.

55 a year is good starting....however how much is seven years of college going to cost you.

im 26 and have supported myself since 17 pretty much...but i have no reportable debt.

im not to into having a family at this point.....i was allready married for 8 years...however free time is key.

im gratefull i didnt go to college. i would like to be a social engineer. i think that would be the best use of my skills but its not worth it to me to pursue my goals in such a corrupt govermental system.

anyway...

self educated...

self diagnosed...

i can multi task and am no longer deppressed or suffering from add.

even better.....through education of how the world really is...ie: writing graffiti going through the criminal justice system, having friends who were in prison and gangs......i am able to diagnose how the resources we retain in this country can be redirected to solve all our problems.

i advocate capitalism, however socially responsible capitalism would far benefit the world economy.

and i figured that shit out hung over smoking a blunt in the shower......

Originally posted by Fugazi+Dec 7 2004, 05:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fugazi - Dec 7 2004, 05:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-society_kills@Dec 8 2004, 12:37 AM

im manic deppressed.

i got paid 16 grand for being manic deppressed.

again, smoked chronic, thought about it....learned to master it and no longer let it effect me with out drugs whose long term side effects are unknown.

Why did you get paid $16,000, just out of curiousity? That's good that you learned to "master" your condition. The severity of many individuals' cases does not allow them to even come close to mastering their state. I've even seen ECT used in extreme cases. What kind of medication are you referring to? I believe they use Lithium Bicarbonate, which is fairly safe if you ask me...

[/b]

anxiety and stress and hopelessness.

i lost a job because of it and recieved around 16 g's in short term disability and unemployment.

my father took every anti deppressant under the sun for years.

i did not like the effects at all.

while he was happy...i could tell it was the drugs.

i am very gratefull that the biggest positive effect on my deppression was alchohol...made me forget about it...weed helped me think about it and my ever so cool as ever kitty cat that gave me lots of hugs.

i didnt see daylight for two weeks and drank and wrote by myself for the majority of the time.

Adderall is amphetamine, just as addictive and and more neurologically dangerous than your friendly street variety crystal meth when both are consumed in the same manner.

According to the powers that be, one is the scourge of our nation and the other is the guiding light for the underachiever. Think about it.

Adderall acts like meth when you do not have ADD.

Example:

I used to take adderall not prescribed with friends to stay up and do work. They took the same amnt as me, would bounce off the walls like assholes and do work. I would sit quietly and actually do my work for once. Then it dawned on me, maybe Im not depressed/manic/crazy. Yah, now im on adderall and therapy +/or prozac never made me feel this good. And Im not saying the drug makes me feel good, im saying realizing my problem, medicinal help, and learnng how to organize my life is making me feel good.

-----

THis is not to say you cant get addcted to adderall, cause you sure as hell can. Thats why it is a pain in the ass to get adderall covered by certain heath plans (for instance, oxford is a bitch to get any controlled drugs ok-ed).

Originally posted by gatita@Dec 8 2004, 06:00 AM

Adderall acts like meth when you do not have ADD.

Example:

I used to take adderall not prescribed with friends to stay up and do work. They took the same amnt as me, would bounce off the walls like assholes and do work. I would sit quietly and actually do my work for once. Then it dawned on me, maybe Im not depressed/manic/crazy. Yah, now im on adderall and therapy +/or prozac never made me feel this good. And Im not saying the drug makes me feel good, im saying realizing my problem, medicinal help, and learnng how to organize my life is making me feel good.

-----

THis is not to say you cant get addcted to adderall, cause you sure as hell can. Thats why it is a pain in the ass to get adderall covered by certain heath plans (for instance, oxford is a bitch to get any controlled drugs ok-ed).

Gatita is on point. I've read your opinion on certain drugs before, Gnome, and I think you're off base quite often...

Archived