your inventory

whatdahell

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Old Growth@Mar 7 2005, 05:17 AM

Here's my cap stash.  I have some nice friends.

You new school writers are lucky to have caps that are made for graff writing.

When I was hiting the trains...we had to get our caps from the supermarket from different products that sprayed shit. The fatest cap I ever used to this day came off a hair spray can. It was a little fater than a NY fat cap or a rusto orange. The entire cap was red and we would have to pop the lid take the cap and put the lid back on and go to the next can till we had enough. Then there was the "foam" caps that were wide too...It came off a bathroom foam cleaner. We also had to make them by melting the hole to widen it or to make it smaller (with a pin or a paper clip).

Testors spray paint came with nice caps we had to hook up. But, as you can see from the old school pics of subway graff...our caps did the job. It just would have been nice if we could get different caps like you guys can get now.

Edit,

Back in the 80's Racking paint was very easy...they had no cameras, no eletronic shit and they did not lock up the spray paint. We would walk out of the store with up to 50 cans at one time in our coat. Then we would go to store to store. Now, it is tough to rack (in New York City). I would not do it anyway cause now I have cash (enough to buy anything I need or want).

But, it must be a bitch to get on paint for free...unless you have a sponser.

Originally posted by Old Growth@Mar 7 2005, 05:22 AM

Last drawer has more markers, inks, etc. I'm really not too big on markers, so they sit and collect dust.

I think if you live in a non-urban area that has no places to use ink...spray is more handy. Weather you are doing a peice or tagging. Because, you can get up with spray on anything. But, in cities like New York. You can use a marker on ALOT of places. There is so many smooth things to tag on. As a young writer...I was always more into bombing the insides of the trains and I would do throw ups once in awhile on the outsides. As I stated on another post. I could take my time bombing the inside of every car, stay warm and not be seen my the vandal squad. So, when that train rolled on monday....I had up to 50 drippy tags in every car on the entire line and on the outside you just see the piece and it is gone. But, on the insides. People had no choice but to look at all the tags while they rode the train.

You have two kinds of writers..you have artists and you have bombers that strictly tag. I figured I could get up more and quicker by being just a writer...instead of spending a long time on a piece. Plus, if you tagged with a fat cap on your paint. You could see it big on the streets and the outsides of the trains.

But, ink was always my thing. Even though I used a hell of alot of paint in the last 25 years. :king:

Originally posted by OMEN TWO+Mar 7 2005, 01:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OMEN TWO - Mar 7 2005, 01:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Old Growth@Mar 7 2005, 05:17 AM

When I was hiting the trains...we had to get our caps from the supermarket from different products that sprayed shit. The fatest cap I ever used to this day came off a hair spray can. It was a little fater than a NY fat cap or a rusto orange. The entire cap was red and we would have to pop the lid take the cap and put the lid back on and go to the next can till we had enough. Then there was the "foam" caps that were wide too...It came off a bathroom foam cleaner. We also had to make them by melting the hole to widen it or to make it smaller.

Testors spray paint came with nice caps we had to hook up. But, as you can see from the old school pics of subway graff...our caps did the job. It just would have been nice if we could get different caps like you guys can get now.

[/b]

Don't get me wrong, dude. I haven't bought a cap in about 5 years. Those bags are either gifts or hook-me-ups from homies. I still raid the cans of Krylon workable fixatif, clear coats, graffiti remover sprays, testors, elmers spray glue, you name it. I usually buy a couple cans at the store, pop off the stocks, and replace them with thins or whatever off clear coats. I just put the stocks back on the clear coat cans and no one's the wiser.

I got a couple of those jifoam caps years ago from an old schooler NY friend. I saved a couple to display, but the ones I used were pretty nice. I'd do outlines with them on simple stuff. Not the best line quality, but decent output.

Racking paint is ridiculous nowadays. You can probably get over on Walmart or Home Depot, but you're talking just a can or two in the belt. With all the cameras, it's not worth the risk to me just to steal $5 worth of paint. Smaller, independent hardware stores are much easier, but then I run into the moral issue of stealing from an actual person. Some corporation isn't going to miss the $1000 or so I could rack from them on a yearly basis, but a mom and pop will. That could be all it takes to put them out of business, what with all the strain Home Depot and Walmart already put on their livelihood.

I'd rather work for a living than live up to some outdated, immature ideal that a bunch of 15 year olds invented as a way to "keep it real". It doesn't really apply to dudes over the age of 18, when you really have something to lose. After you hit 25, I think you have issues if you rack all your paint. Nothing wrong with pocketing a can or two if the situation arises, but get a damn job, yo.

Originally posted by Old Growth+Mar 7 2005, 05:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Growth - Mar 7 2005, 05:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by OMEN TWO@Mar 7 2005, 01:28 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Old Growth@Mar 7 2005, 05:17 AM

When I was hiting the trains...we had to get our caps from the supermarket from different products that sprayed shit. The fatest cap I ever used to this day came off a hair spray can. It was a little fater than a NY fat cap or a rusto orange. The entire cap was red and we would have to pop the lid take the cap and put the lid back on and go to the next can till we had enough. Then there was the "foam" caps that were wide too...It came off a bathroom foam cleaner. We also had to make them by melting the hole to widen it or to make it smaller.

Don't get me wrong, dude. I haven't bought a cap in about 5 years. Those bags are either gifts or hook-me-ups from homies. I still raid the cans of Krylon workable fixatif, clear coats, graffiti remover sprays, testors, elmers spray glue, you name it. I usually buy a couple cans at the store, pop off the stocks, and replace them with thins or whatever off clear coats. I just put the stocks back on the clear coat cans and no one's the wiser.

I got a couple of those jifoam caps years ago from an old schooler NY friend. I saved a couple to display, but the ones I used were pretty nice. I'd do outlines with them on simple stuff. Not the best line quality, but decent output.

Racking paint is ridiculous nowadays. You can probably get over on Walmart or Home Depot, but you're talking just a can or two in the belt. With all the cameras, it's not worth the risk to me just to steal $5 worth of paint. Smaller, independent hardware stores are much easier, but then I run into the moral issue of stealing from an actual person. Some corporation isn't going to miss the $1000 or so I could rack from them on a yearly basis, but a mom and pop will. That could be all it takes to put them out of business, what with all the strain Home Depot and Walmart already put on their livelihood.

I'd rather work for a living than live up to some outdated, immature ideal that a bunch of 15 year olds invented as a way to "keep it real". It doesn't really apply to dudes over the age of 18, when you really have something to lose. After you hit 25, I think you have issues if you rack all your paint. Nothing wrong with pocketing a can or two if the situation arises, but get a damn job, yo.

[/b]

I don't doubt you can rack paint in the suburbs in big stores like you mentioned. But, New York is on lock down and there is so much crime that they take no chances now days. I am sure if you live out in the country...it is a lot easier to rack paint, than lets say The South bronx or Harlem. But, at one time it was easy to rack in The Big Apple.

If I was younger and did not have much cash and lived outside of the cities. I would be racking like a motherfucker.

Peace.

Originally posted by OMEN TWO@Mar 7 2005, 01:46 AM

I think if you live in a non-urban area that has no places to use ink...spray is more handy. Weather you are doing a peice or tagging. Because, you can get up with spray on anything. But, in cities like New York. You can use a marker on ALOT of places. There is so many smooth things to tag on. As a young writer...I was always more into bombing the insides of the trains and I would do throw ups once in awhile on the outsides. As I stated on another post. I could take my time bombing the inside of every car, stay warm and not be seen my the vandal squad. So, when that train rolled on monday....I had up to 50 drippy tags in every car on the entire line and on the outside you just see the piece and it is gone. But, on the insides. People had no choice but to look at all the tags while they rode the train.

You have two kinds of writers..you have artists and you have bombers that strictly tag. I figured I could get up more and quicker by being just a writer...instead of spending a long time on a piece. Plus, if you tagged with a fat cap on your paint. You could see it big on the streets and the outsides of the trains.

Right on, dog. I live in a city, but i guess i just don't have the feel for markers. It's no NYC, but there's a healthy scene and plenty of surfaces. I usually bring at least one marker with me when I go out, but my medium of choice is definitely spray paint. I much prefer a clean brick wall with a can of rusto gloss black and a fatcap. It's bigger, and I'm more comfortable with paint anyways.

I guarantee I'd be the guy doing the outsides with pieces back in the day. You might catch an inside or two once in a while, but I'd try to stay up with the burners and simples. It's just my nature.

Originally posted by Old Growth+Mar 7 2005, 06:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Growth - Mar 7 2005, 06:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-OMEN TWO@Mar 7 2005, 01:46 AM

Right on, dog. I live in a city, but i guess i just don't have the feel for markers. It's no NYC, but there's a healthy scene and plenty of surfaces. I usually bring at least one marker with me when I go out, but my medium of choice is definitely spray paint. I much prefer a clean brick wall with a can of rusto gloss black and a fatcap. It's bigger, and I'm more comfortable with paint anyways.

I guarantee I'd be the guy doing the outsides with pieces back in the day. You might catch an inside or two once in a while, but I'd try to stay up with the burners and simples. It's just my nature.

[/b]

Thats is cool. When we went bombing we went in large crewz. So, we split up...some of us would attack the insides and other dudes would destroy the outsides. If they did a murel...they did back to back names. While we were hitting them up on the insides, they were hitting us up on the outsides...it got tough in the mid to late 80's. Because, they were cacking down and it was impossible to do a burner. So, you would see more throw ups in the later 80's on the trains and the insides were fucking bombed!

I am the same way, but the reverse...I carry ink supplies more than I carry paint. But, I always carry one flat black with a fat cap and one silver with fat can to tag with and I carry thin caps if I am going to do a throwie. But, I try to stay with at least two cans of spray...one dark and one light. So, I can hit on places ink can't.

Originally posted by caffeine@Mar 7 2005, 03:58 AM

Damn where you guys getting those paint racks?

I dont even see stores using those nowadays... they just stock the spray paint on their shelves.

I got mine from a homie down in Jersey, traded him a few cans of old school paint for it. I found an old rusto woodsaver rack myself, which I gave to my boy, but I had my heart set on an old Krylon gravity feed rack. The Rusto rack actually holds more paint, but I wanted the aesthetic of the old gravity feeder. I have the cage for it, (so a store can lock it up) but that's tucked away in the basement. No need for it in my own house.

You can find a rack if you look hard enough. Try hitting up older, independent hardware stores and ask if they still have one sitting in the basement. You might have to hit 30 places before you get one, but they're fun to have and make organization easy. If you live in a city that's got an old graffiti scene, you may be out of luck locally. I had to drive about 40 miles before I found the Rusto rack.

Another option is to enlist the help of paint collectors. I'm sure most would be happy to use their resources to find you a rack, in exchange for a small fee or trade. I'd do it for a case of belton or a gallon of gloss black rusto bucket paint if I had another rack. Try asking these guys. http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5910

Guest sneak

^fuck man, i wouldnt be complaining about a lack of chrome with that much monatana in my possession.

looks like the spanish ones to me to.. mmm