spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cracked ass

Re: Alien in NY

Originally posted by Tesseract

I already said that English is not my mother language,

but i am trying.Help a brother out.

WHOA-oh, I'm an alien

I'm a legal alien

I'm an Englishman in New Yoooork...

:beat:

Guest imported_Tesseract

You got the song cracked.However, i am not in new york and definately not an Englishman.

Now that you are here and since you are the master of this thread,can you solve that "a 1" or "an 1" problem?

1st, Cracked is not 'master' of this thread, that's The Law's job... 2nd it's written "a 1" as in "not a one"... "a hundred bottles of beer"... it isn't a question of A vs. An, well, maybe for you, but the rest of us simply follow the rules of writing numbers...

Guest THE LAW

yes...

...and since THE LAW has seen it misspelled many times over the past couple days,

CONGRATULATE

con·grat·u·late (kn-grch-lt, -grj-, kng-)

tr.v. con·grat·u··lat·ed, con·grat·u··lat·ing, con·grat·u··lates

To express joy or acknowledgment, as for the achievement or good fortune of (another).

Guest cracked ass

The whole numbers thing depends on the phoneme that the number starts with when pronounced.

I would say "a 101 production" because "one", although it starts with a vowel, begins with the sound "w" - a wun oh wun production. The whole point of "an" is to avoid saying "a oh" or "a egg" - to interrupt the vowel phonemes with the smoothing n.

So I would say aloud:

a one

a two

a three

a four

a five

a six

a seven

an eight

a nine

an oh.

Eight and oh are the only "an" cases, and you can even fudge "oh" by saying "a zero".

I would also keep these consistent when writing them down. I would write "an 808 production" and "an 014 production". This is one of the areas of grammar that borders on style rather than correctness (meaning I'm going to do it this way even if a majority of the Usage Panel of Webster's Dictionary says it's wrong).

Guest imported_Tesseract

Thanks Cracked.

Thats why i refer to you as the Master of this thread although i pay respect to THE LAW (i even write his name always in CAPS)and give credit for the creation of this super-thread.

I know i busted your balls with that stupid question,sorry about that.

I just wanted a complete answer without a sign of irony in it.

Since this is a grammar thread.

I guess the answer was pretty obvious in the first place but i dont mind being paranoid about things like that once in a while.

Thanks.

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by bl4ckh4m

according to english rules when are you supposed to stop writing out numbers (i.e. one hundred twenty seven thousand vs 127,000) and where do the hyphens go when writing out that shit?

THE LAW generally goes by the rule of zero to ninety-nine get written out and anything 100 or above uses numerals. (hyphens used as above)

this is also a matter of style somewhat as it depends on the type of document you are composing and the accompanying formality. ... just be consistent.

this one is for me

suc·ceed (sk-sd)

v. suc·ceed·ed, suc·ceed·ing, suc·ceeds

v. intr.

1.To come next in time or succession; follow after another; replace another in an office or a position: She succeeded to the throne.

2.To accomplish something desired or intended: “Success is counted sweetest/By those who ne'er succeed” (Emily Dickinson).

3.Obsolete. To devolve upon a person by way of inheritance.

Guest cracked ass

Today's word, which occurs misspelled in the screen name of one of our forum members, is HELLACIOUS. I think we all know what it means, but THE LAW may add the official verbiage if it pleases him.

On the numbers issue, what THE LAW gave as his own preference is actually the accepted convention: anything over ninety-nine need not be written out.

Guest cracked ass

Someone also misspelled "relieve" in another thread. I would also like to point out two errors in the signature of boogie hands: that's and girlfriend's both require apostrophes, the first as a contraction of THAT IS and the second as the possessive of GIRLFRIEND.

Guest THE LAW

y'know, for someone who made light of the excessive simplicity of this thread, Mr. Boogie Hands seems to misspell an awful lot of words, including several that we've covered already.

BOOGIE HANDS, THIS IS THE LAW,

YOU WILL BE RECEIVING A SUBPEONA SHORTLY>

Anecdote: before THE LAW reached his present stature, he delivered subpeonas to people's houses. they were not happy with THE LAW, especially the police officers.

Guest THE LAW

HELLACIOUS

hel·la·cious (h-lshs)

adj.

Distasteful and repellant: hellacious smog.

Slang. Extraordinary; remarkable: a hellacious catch of fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[hell + -acious(as in audacious).]

Guest Remy Martin

JADED

Main Entry: jaded

Function: adjective

Date: 1600

1 : fatigued by overwork : EXHAUSTED

2 : dulled by experience or by surfeit

- jad.ed.ly adverb

- jad.ed.ness noun

BITTER

Main Entry: 1bit.ter

Pronunciation: 'bi-t&r

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English biter; akin to Old High German bittar bitter, Old English bItan

Date: before 12th century

1 a : being or inducing the one of the four basic taste sensations that is peculiarly acrid, astringent, or disagreeable and suggestive of an infusion of hops -- compare SALT, SOUR, SWEET b : distasteful or distressing to the mind : GALLING

2 : marked by intensity or severity: a : accompanied by severe pain or suffering b : being relentlessly determined : VEHEMENT c : exhibiting intense animosity d (1) : harshly reproachful (2) : marked by cynicism and rancor e : intensely unpleasant especially in coldness or rawness

3 : expressive of severe pain, grief, or regret

- bit.ter.ish /'bi-t&-rish/ adjective

- bit.ter.ly adverb

- bit.ter.ness noun

Originally posted by TEARZ

how's my fellow graduate doing? it's rough out here eh?

i'm doing great, thanks for asking..

it took a minute to finally land a job..that didn't drug test..but,

i got a pretty good job, i don't have to dress up, i got a lab bench and a lab coat with my name embroidered on it, lots of pipettes and radioactive compounds, such as LSD.

its fun (for work) and super laid back, so i really can't complain even if the pay isn't that great ..its still 10K more than i ever made in a year before...i do pharmacological assays.woohoo!!

now, i'm thinking about the subject GRE's in biochemistry and cell biology..yikes..

i guess i really wanna be Are2, Ph.D. (mad scientist)

Guest cracked ass

I really hate to do this, but I must sacrifice the reputation of my cohorts for the greater good of educating people in this thread.

I must serve THE LAW with a SUBPOENA for misspelling SUBPOENA...and REPELLENT...in a recent post.

SUBPOENA is spelled without regard to logic, as are many English words.

REPELLENT is the correct spelling for both the noun and the adjective forms.

Guest THE LAW

how embarrassing. THE LAW actually knew that, but must've been smoking the crack. He will serve his sentence gladly. It's a small price to pay when trying to educate the masses. Interestingly enough, on all legal documents now, they've changed the spelling to "subpena" to make it easier.

THE LAW doesn't remember using the word "repellent" recently but will gladly accept any repercussions his mistake may have caused.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by THE LAW

Smart is right....

USE AN in front of words that start with a vowel.

AN ALIEN

AN ELEPHANT

AN IDIOT

AN OTTER

AN UNDERTAKER

also in front of words that start with an H

USE A in front of everything else.

not always true...

an house?

an horse?

you meant silent "h"

correct?

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by Smart

actually, in the case of non-aspirated h, you use an, however, many words are being pronounced both ways... humor is a good example of that... mainly, if you aspirate the h then use a, but if you don't, then it's an

now im gonna need a definition for aspirate...

inevitable

Main Entry: in·ev·i·ta·ble

Pronunciation: i-'ne-v&-t&-b&l

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin inevitabilis, from in- + evitabilis evitable

Date: 14th century

1: incapable of being avoided or evaded

stickler

Main Entry: stick·ler

Pronunciation: 'sti-k(&-)l&r

Function: noun

Date: 1644

1 : one who insists on exactness or completeness in the observance of something <a stickler for the rules>

2 : something that baffles or puzzles

I've been the cause of many fumbles regarding spelling mistakes and puncuation on this board. While this thread is highly entertaining, I also find it useful. Thank you Mr. Smarty Slacks and Mrs. Anal Annie!

What is the rule for starting a sentence with "And". Or starting a sentence with "But"? I apologize if this has been covered. I haven't read every page.

Side note... my wife was certain that all writers couldn't care less about grammer. This board has sealed her case. Though this thread has given her hope for you all. She would like to thank The Law and Cracked Ass, as well as the the few others who are smart for schooling the masses. It's long overdue...

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by Joker

Also, do you capitalize days of the week? For example: "It's 5:45am on Wednesday and for some unknown reason, I'm on the computer".

YES>

Archived