Kerry Bush Debate Round 2: Townhall Style

Nekro

that Canada comment was funny.

And how come no one mentions how Kerry ripped on Bush for the environmental thing? Out of ALL the threads that have come up in recent times about Bush, none of you Americans ever mention his poor environmental record, save for Villain.

Bush was like, "I signed a bill to increase the wetlands by three million." Three million what? square inches?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Weapon X@Oct 8 2004, 06:56 PM

that Canada comment was funny.

And how come no one mentions how Kerry ripped on Bush for the environmental thing? Out of ALL the threads that have come up in recent times about Bush, none of you Americans ever mention his poor environmental record, save for Villain.

Bush was like, "I signed a bill to increase the wetlands by three million." Three million what? square inches?

word. i agree with everything you said. and i was alos especially wondering 3mill fucking what?

Originally posted by fermentor666@Oct 8 2004, 07:13 PM

Fresh from CNN.com, 11:00 PM EST

George W. Bush

9%

2040 votes

John Kerry

90%

19439 votes

Evenly matched

1%

131 votes

man, i was trying to view tha shit. all mine would say is o percent for all of them. what other sites are there to vote on?

basically bush screamed and kerry looked presidential.

hot post from atrios:

Dred Scott

There are mistakes which happen in live formats, and mistakes which are pre-fabbed, deliberate, and therefore you're held accountable for. Mistakes involving the issue of slavery are particularly offensive, no matter what the mistake.

Bush said:

Another example would be the Dred Scott case, which is where judges years ago said that the constitution allowed slavery because of personal property rights.

Dred Scott wasn't based on property rights. It was based on racism.

The decision of the court was read in March of 1857. Chief Justice Roger B. Taney -- a staunch supporter of slavery -- wrote the "majority opinion" for the court. It stated that because Scott was black, he was not a citizen and therefore had no right to sue. The decision also declared the Missouri Compromise of 1820, legislation which restricted slavery in certain territories, unconstitutional.

MSNBC at 11:25 PM:

Who won the debate? * 448816 responses

Pres. Bush 26% Sen. Kerry 74%

and the real kicker is at Fox News:

a. President Bush

(30%)

b. Senator Kerry

(70%)

c. I did not watch

(0%)

d. None of the above

(0%)

65,529 total votes

CNN.com online poll update, 1:30 EST (MY LIFE???)

President Bush

20%

61525 votes

John Kerry

78%

236047 votes

Evenly matched

2%

6559 votes

The hits just keep on coming.

"A CNN/USA Today/Gallup snap poll taken immediately after the presidential debate Friday night found that respondents gave a slight, statistically insignificant edge to Sen. John Kerry over President Bush, 47 percent to 45 percent.

The respondents included 515 registered voters who watched the debate. Their political affiliations broke down as 38 percent Republican, 32 percent Democratic and 30 percent independent."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/09/...poll/index.html

me and a few of my friends decided to go to a large resteraunt/sports bar and eat dinner while watching it there. Unfortunetly Every single TV was on baseball- and 2 TVs were set to womens basketball. We pleeded with the waitress and the manager and finally after like 20 minutes they decided it was ok to change the NWBA to the debate in subtitles. the subtitles were moving fast and i was eating at the same time- when this lady with an 80s hairstyle had to sit right infront of the bar and block all of us- then later an old guy sat next to her, and then the bartender attempted to do bartending tricks right in front of the tv! I had the brilliant idea to go to the bathroom where they got a tv- change the station in there and have sound. all 3 of us stood in the bathroom and watched it in comfert and everytime somebody walked in they had to say some stupid comment or fake vaige interest like they forgot it was on.

We were the ONLY ones out of the very large Duffy's sports bar to request the debate. were talking out of like 300+ people

Originally posted by EgoManiakal@Oct 9 2004, 02:08 AM

me and a few of my friends decided to go to a large resteraunt/sports bar and eat dinner while watching it there. Unfortunetly Every single TV was on baseball- and 2 TVs were set to womens basketball. We pleeded with the waitress and the manager and finally after like 20 minutes they decided it was ok to change the NWBA to the debate in subtitles. the subtitles were moving fast and i was eating at the same time- when this lady with an 80s hairstyle had to sit right infront of the bar and block all of us- then later an old guy sat next to her, and then the bartender attempted to do bartending tricks right in front of the tv! I had the brilliant idea to go to the bathroom where they got a tv- change the station in there and have sound. all 3 of us stood in the bathroom and watched it in comfert and everytime somebody walked in they had to say some stupid comment or fake vaige interest like they forgot it was on.

We were the ONLY ones out of the very large Duffy's sports bar to request the debate. were talking out of like 300+ people

Dood, it was a sports bar. Going to the sports bar to watch a presidential debate is like going to iraq to fight terrorism.

kerry totally took it. bush was out of line the whole time almost. my roomie kept laughing because "bush was dogging kerry" everytime he started to talk he would put him down, or say some lame joke. this isnt funny bush, this is some serious shit, and all he can do is act retarded. i heard him say "man" at the end of one of his sentences, but i cant remember what it was, heres an example of what i mean. "this sucks man" or " that was awsome man" sounds totally stoner or under somekind of influence. i dont think he presented himself in the proper way at all. the next speech, i think, is in arizona. maybe i could attened. bush is a prick.

i think this fact check is interesting..since bush kept saying kerry voted for raising taxes 98 times...they both made some exaggerated points but all in all i think kerry sonned bush...

CNN Political Unit debate fact check

Bush-Kerry and the truth

From the CNN Political Unit

Saturday, October 9, 2004 Posted: 3:09 AM EDT (0709 GMT)

Editor's Note: These fact checks were researched by the CNN Political Unit, following remarks made by the candidates -- President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry -- during their presidential debate on October 8, 2004.

(CNN) -- Claim: Bush said Kerry cut the intelligence budget by $7.5 billion in the 1990s.

CNN Fact Check: It is true that Kerry proposed or supported cutting several billion dollars from the intelligence budget in the 1990s, however this amounted to a small fraction of the overall intelligence budget, and some of the proposed cuts were in reaction to the discovery of a $1 billion fund that a government intelligence agency had secretly -- and illegally -- accumulated without informing Congress.

In 1995, Kerry did propose to cut the intelligence budget by $300 million a year ($1.5 billion over five years), or roughly 1% out of the estimated $29 billion annual intelligence budget. In Senate testimony, then-CIA director George Tenet was asked if a $300 million annual cut would "gut" his agency, and Tenet said no, that it would not "gut" the agency, although it wouldn't be helpful.

Kerry also proposed cutting $1 billion annually from intelligence budgets from 1994-1998. Also in 1995, Congress learned that a U.S. intelligence agency, the National Reconnaissance Office, had secretly accumulated about $1 billion in funds. Kerry, as well as Republicans Arlen Specter and Richard Shelby, proposed cutting the intelligence budget for that year by about $1 billion, to recoup this unspent NRO funds.

Claim: Bush suggested Kerry would allow other countries to veto U.S. troop deployments.

CNN Fact Check: Although Kerry did refer to a "global test" regarding troop deployments in the first debate, Bush neglects to mention that Kerry also said the following at that debate on the topic of a preemptive war by the U.S.: "No president ... has ever ceded, and nor would I, the right to preempt in any way necessary to protect the United States of America."

Bush also comes close to suggesting that Kerry would allow the United Nations to determine U.S. troop deployment. Although as a young congressional candidate in 1970, Kerry told the Harvard Crimson that he would "like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations," he has since revised his position, saying at his convention speech this summer: "I will never give any nation or any institution a veto over our national security."

As for what Kerry meant by a "global test," he described it as a test "where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons."

Claim: Kerry said the United States has spent $200 billion on the Iraq war.

CNN Fact Check: Kerry once again overstates the cost of the Iraq war when he says that the U.S. has already spent $200 billion on the war effort. In fact, the Office of Management and Budget estimated that the war in Iraq had cost about $120 billion through September 30, the end of fiscal year 2004.

Kerry's $200 billion figure includes money for the new fiscal year (which started October 1) but technically these funds have not yet been spent. Kerry's figure also includes some funds earmarked for both Iraq and Afghanistan. The Kerry campaign clarifies its claim in press releases saying that the Iraq war will cost $200 billion through September 2005, but Kerry frequently neglects to make this distinction when addressing audiences.

Claim: President Bush said Sen. John Kerry voted for higher taxes 98 times.

CNN Fact Check: The Bush-Cheney '04 campaign has identified 98 specific votes where Kerry supported raising taxes, including tax hikes on specific products like tobacco, alcohol, and diesel fuel. However the number is somewhat inflated because it includes all votes on a given piece of legislation, including procedural votes and votes to end debate.

Claim: Bush said the National Journal ranked Kerry as "The Most Liberal Senator."

CNN Fact Check: The National Journal's February 2004 rankings did list Kerry as the most liberal member of the Senate in 2003, but the result was based only on his votes in the year 2003, and may have been artificially inflated by Kerry's unusually high absentee rate last year.

The National Journal based its ratings on 62 key Senate votes cast in 2003 in three issue areas: economic policy, social policy, and foreign policy. Kerry's rating was based only on the 20 votes he cast in the economic policy area. His votes in social and foreign policy were not counted because he missed more than half of the votes in those categories.

In short, Kerry's rating was based on only 20 of 62 votes. Had he missed four more economic votes, Kerry would not have been included in the National Journal ratings at all. Also, Kerry's lifetime liberal rating is 85.7 out of 100, making him the Senate's 11th most liberal senator, not the first.

Claim: Bush said that 75 percent of known al Qaeda members have been brought to justice.

CNN Fact Check: Bush incorrectly suggests that under his watch 75 percent of al Qaeda's membership has been brought to justice. CIA officials have estimated that 75 percent of the two-dozen or so known al Qaeda leaders, as of September 11, 2001, have been killed or captured.

The non-partisan International Institute for Strategic Studies estimates that al Qaeda has 18,000 potential operatives, but there is no official data on the size of al Qaeda's total membership, in part because it is difficult to track the number of new recruits since the Iraq war began.

Claim: Kerry said that former Army Chief of Staff Eric Shinseki was forced out for comments on Iraq troop levels.

CNN Fact Check: Kerry implies that Shinseki was forced to retire as a result of his comments about troop levels in Iraq, which is inaccurate. Shinseki served a full four-year term as Army chief of staff, and did not retire early. Since World War II, no Army chief of staff has served longer than four years.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld decided in April 2002 on who he would tap to succeed Shinseki, according to a Pentagon official, long before Shinseki's troop level comments in 2003. So by the time Shinseki made his comments on troop levels, it was already known that he would not remain in his post beyond his full four-year term. The Bush administration may not have been fond of Shinseki, who was appointed to his post by President Clinton, but it is inaccurate to say that he was forced to retire because of his comments on troop levels in Iraq.

Claim: Kerry said that Bush has presided over an economy which lost 1.6 million jobs and that he is the first president in 72 years to lose jobs.

CNN Fact Check: Kerry is correct in saying that Bush is on track to become the first president in 72 years (since Herbert Hoover) to oversee a net loss in jobs. However, Kerry said 1.6 million jobs have been lost under Bush's watch, but this actually refers to just private sector jobs. The overall loss over jobs since January 2001 is 821,000, according to numbers released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Oct 9 2004, 10:31 AM

Bush closes the online gap on the scientifically innaccurate CNN online poll:

Who won the second presidential debate?

President Bush 44% 393667 votes

John Kerry 53% 472710 votes

Evenly matched 2% 20352 votes

Total: 886729 votes

interesting facts

Archived