bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Rubbish... it was 18 laps with each and every lap being a hot spot lap so tha pace was brutal. I was able to get third in one of the sprints which gave me a point and let me stroll in for the finish and still end in 18th overall. Which for that group of riders, and my fitness, is a good result. I was cooked by the time I got home.

Congrats!

Any good pointers/tips for extended periods on climbing?

As an overweight racer... all I can say is find a tempo that is manageable and stick to it. Don't go hard from the beginning because you'll burn out before you hit the top. Start with a tempo that doesn't kill and hold it till you have about a 500m to the top of the climb and then stand up, click it down a gear and give it a little gas, but not too much, to get you to the top. Once you get to the top keep pedaling!! At least an easy spin for a minute or so. You've built up a lot of lactic acid and if you stop right as you crest the climb you're only doing yourself a disservice later down the road. Trust me on this one.

Now, the old-school train of thought has been to seat yourself as far back as you comfortably can on the saddle when you're climbing. However, new ideas have been forming about seating yourself normally, if not a little bit forward on the saddle when climbing. I've had plenty of time using both methods and have found the new train of thought to work best for me. It makes pulling up on the pedals easier, for me. I try to stay seated as long as possible and only stand when absolutely necessary.

My method is to keep a constant pace/tempo while climbing. I stay seated for as long as I can in the gear I'm in and when it gets tough I'll stand for a few pedal strokes then shift up a gear and go back to being seated and repeat. When I get to the top I'll usually spin till it burns to remove any built up lactic acid then go about my normal pace.

As far as seating goes I tend to stay in a fairly normal position if not slightly back. Just a comfort thing for me I guess.

im using my bosses Jamis ventrura bike that he slapped some aerobars on for a ride sunday. its the first bike ive ever ridden with brifters and il have to say the little black shifter (i forget what it does...) shifts way too late, theres about a 5 second delay. and when im braking it feels like the whole thing is just going the break off haha.

how much water do i need to be drinking on a 60 mile ride in the sun? im putting on the second bottle cage and il probly strap a extra bottle onto the aerobars. i might mix in some powerbar electrolyte mix into the one i put on the aerobars for the end of the ride. and i suppose i can refill at lunch.... but this will be the longest ride by far ive ever done. with someone whos insanely fast... lol

Nice job Joker. I'm hoping I'll get a race in there next week.

Congrats!

Any good pointers/tips for extended periods on climbing?

Climb with people who are better climbers than you and take note with what they do. Also, keep up a lot of momentum coming into the hill. I find a mix of sitting and standing works well for me. It helps to know when the hill is going to end but going into uncharted depths can be good too - if you blow yourself up coming to the top, you'll atleast be stronger the next time you try it (after recovery of course).

When you stand up, shift into a harder gear. When you sit back down, shift into an easier one. Try to time your shifts so that your dominant foot is going to be around 2-3 o'clock when the chain shifts.

And if you're like me and not a born gifted climber, learning to resort to mental tricks helps a lot to get your mind off the pain. Count your breathes and focus on your breathing.

Bring food, a bite of a granola bar or a banana will help out in the long run so you wont tire as easily. If you think you're drinking too much water you're probably not drinking enough. Or so it seems with me, I always drink too little water on rides.

And if you're like me and not a born gifted climber, learning to resort to mental tricks helps a lot to get your mind off the pain. Count your breathes and focus on your breathing.

Rubbish gave me the same advice and it did wonders for me. Counting pedal strokes is also a great way to get your mind in another place. A friend I ride with never looks at the top of the hill as a way to not sike himself out. He'll just keep going looking directly infront of him and then surprises himself when he hits the top without knowing. Then again this has proven to kick his ass on many of false plateau's.

• Like 1

okay so i went on a quick 10 mile ride. it was pretty flat, probly only about 7 feet in elevation change spread out over 4 miles.

the fastest i went (not sprinting, i just looked down the whole time, i do that when i know there arent any cars or obstacles. im used to singletrack riding lol) was 23mph and i cruised at around 18.5 to 19.2 on the "descents" and 17 to 18 on the "ascents" and the rpm hovered around 85-90. now i dont know if the rpm is the cadence, i suspect its measured from the picup thats on the crank but it may just be the fact that i have never used that computer and i may be missing out on some function to see the cadence...

is riding with a mp3 player in my ear a good idea? i know it will probably distract me some from the traffic but 4 hours is a hella long time to hear nothing but cars rushing by you...

Nice commuter bike! Word of advice I would get some fatter tires for it. If you ride around town/on roads it would be more of a comfortable ride and they would be able to take potholes and large curbs without crapping out.

Thanks for the comment!

the small tire thing wasnt my idea, the bike was originally my father's, but the guy only rode the bike about 5 times so somehow i got him to give it to me. (he's probably hoping i wont ask for a car now lol)

Also pot holes are a BITCH here in DC its ridiculous, i dont think you can go a block without running over at least one pot hole.

To what?

And why?

better rims........................... duh. i dont know, they just dont look like the best they could be. it was the only thing i could think of except maybe the brakes.

and sand doesnt work in potholes.

whats a decent time to aim for a 60 mile ride?

whats a decent time to aim for a 60 mile ride?

Depends on the terrain (flat, rolling hills, uphill both ways, etc.), weather (headwind, tailwind, no wind), amount of people (solo vs. paceline) and surface (cobblestones will take more effort per same speed than smooth concrete, off road more than on).

Let's say a solo flat ride with no wind on decent pavement: if you can get the whole thing done in 3 hours ride time, i.e. 20mph avg, that'd be pretty good in my book.