bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Really? I went to watch but I didn't see many people from your team out there. That looked like a really fun race to be in though, wish I could have been in it.

That's because all but two of us got dropped in the first ten to fifteen minutes. Only two of our guys stayed in till the end. However, one went down in the final half lap... broke his frame in three places, broke his ankle, thumb, three ribs and road rash like whoa. Felt pretty bad for him. That was in the 3 field. In the 1/2 field we had three guys in there and they were all dropped in fifteen minutes. One of whom is a really good crit racer and has won several at the 1/2 level... but he just didn't have it that day, he said.

The course is really awesome and is definitely a great ride. I will be sure to be on fitness for next time.

Steven is, and has been, on a high in OBRA land. He's a little egotistical but it's okay because he's fairly young and really good. Hell, I remember being a little egotistical for a week when I placed second in a cat4 race years ago. Ha!

You're riding good, real good... don't sweat Tabor. You'll hang in there no problem.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

once i get payed im investing in some materials to fabricate small parts in carbon fiber. i think il make a set of cantilever brakes and then the brake levers first, i know some people who do this with fiberglass and various plastics so i have access to the required equipment.

any tips?

Acer910- I've used the whole cog on a couple of 10 speed conversions and not had a problem with chain slippage but if you are able to get your hands on a SS freewheel, that would be a good way to go.. Reduce a little bit of clunk from the weight and whatnot, also less movable parts to worry about. If not, maybe have another go at it with the gear ratios you are trying to run??? You may wanna tighten your hub up too if it is slipping, that'll definitely cause your chain line to stray from where you want it. Could solve the whole chain tension ish. I don't know anything about part fabrication, so no advice on that one. Hope you you are able to get it working or have already done so.

That video about the messenger is ridiculous! Found it odd that I stumble upon people talking about messenger bags as well. I'm currently looking for one but don't exactly have the funds for anything expensive, any suggestions on that one?

• Like 1

Acer910- I've used the whole cog on a couple of 10 speed conversions and not had a problem with chain slippage but if you are able to get your hands on a SS freewheel, that would be a good way to go.. Reduce a little bit of clunk from the weight and whatnot, also less movable parts to worry about. If not, maybe have another go at it with the gear ratios you are trying to run??? You may wanna tighten your hub up too if it is slipping, that'll definitely cause your chain line to stray from where you want it. Could solve the whole chain tension ish. I don't know anything about part fabrication, so no advice on that one. Hope you you are able to get it working or have already done so.

That video about the messenger is ridiculous! Found it odd that I stumble upon people talking about messenger bags as well. I'm currently looking for one but don't exactly have the funds for anything expensive, any suggestions on that one?

see, thats what everyone tells me is its the chainline. but when i first converted it to SS i had it on the smallest cog and the chainline was horrible but it NEVER came off. now when i put it in the 19, the chainline was perfect and it started messing up. i ended up getting a singlespeed freewheel with 17 teeth because they didnt have the 18t one in stock but im going back friday to get the 18t freewheel. it works perfect and the guy at the shop said it would not work at all. but the problem is solved, its all good. im going to pick up a 32t crankset and clipless pedals. ima do the fabrication thing later, me and a couple of people from work are going to enter this dupont competition where you make a pedal powered machine that can go over 20 knots on water and were making it out of CF most likely so il be able to snag the tag ends for free.

thanks

anyone know anything about Galli? to be specific, i have a pair of Galli anodized blue road cranks 175 with a 53 and 43 chainrings. i cant find out too much about them on the interwebs and im just trying to get an estimate on how much they might be worth, since i dont need them anymore. thanks.

anyone?

anyone?

all i got is they could be a typical 80's campy knock off company..

I'm in the market for a new seat. The one I have was off an old Specialized and it got the job done for a while but anything over 50 miles and my junk with start to go numb. Anyone have any recommendations for a seat that would remedy that situation? Money is tight for right now but still being able to feel my balls on a ride is worth the extra couple bucks.

You're mostly just gonna have to try and see. Old Selle Italia Flites work well for me, and the Fizik Arione got a lot better for me after my fitter angled it ever so slightly upward (something I don't do with any other saddle).

HAHA "What do you think Bakersfield?" I agree with the Selle Italia. I heard that those Brooks saddles are pretty damn nice too... once you break them in. Pros find someone with a similar ass and have them break them in for them. I ride a Windsor fixed gear and the only ish stock left are the wheels. Been looking into those as of late but I don't have as much knowledge in this department as I did in the BMX genera. Thinking about getting a MAG in the back possibly. I mainly just want to reduce the spoke count. Thanks Count Chocula for reminding me of surplus stores. WHo'da thunk it.. not I.

Velocities are cheap and for most the first wheelset they buy... but generally not the last.

Mavic open pro s are good

Ellipses are bombproof but make sure when you buy them they come with the special key to get into the hub.

I'm running American classic 420's on my road bike and track.

There's some good ones from reynolds and elsewhere too.

It's all about what you can get for cheap.

The quality of a wheel is determined mostly by who built it, not the rims/spokes/hubs used. With that said, Velocity seems to have QC problems and puts out less than round rims, which means more time/effort to build up perfecto. I've had great luck building my Mavics, and a friend who's been building wheels for more than a decade said the IRD rims he built were the roundest he's ever touched and barely needed a true between tensioning. What does that mean? More even spoke tension and therefore a longer lasting rim in the hands of a competent builder. So pay the $$$ for a good builder to do your wheels up, or learn it yourself from sheldonbrown.com (it's not that hard if you have all the equipment and someone experienced watching over you).

Whew, just raced the local hill circuit series (Mt. Tabor) and it was fun as hell! Me and a teammate finished on side and side in the top 10 out of 50 dudes. Joker - I was able to make up a lot of room in the descent and at one point found myself pulling everyone after the prime lap. I don't know if it's because my bike is 21lb or because I'm 170lb in a pack of skinnier dudes or because I tuck better in the drops but I never seem to have much trouble passing a pack or making up places downhill as long as it's not cat 1/2/3's dudes.

There was one sketchy crash with a lap to go - no one's fault really. A guy dicking around on his mountain bike (not racing) was just chilling about 300m before the finish in the middle of the road as we went by and made one guy crash as he brushed his bike. Then the guy tried to throw his mtb bike into a bush but it just went down immediately on the road, causing the guy whose wheel I was on to have to make some fast moves to dodge it. Fucking dumbass... in the final sprint one guy apparently blew up around the same point and lost all his speed as we were dusting past and I had to grab a handful of brakes to avoid him and squeeze through a hole because there was nowhere else to go in the tight field, bumping handlebars with another guy on the other side of me. Luckily no crashes there, but the guys line veered a little bit causing the people behind him to yell. My upper body was relaxed as hell so I didn't really get effected. Fun as hell race though...

those kilo tt's are okay

like everyone will say, decent frames but shitty parts. but dont go crazy and replace them all. My recommendation is just to ride it until it falls off...but I do recommend getting better pedals or clips, the ones they come with suck balls

Rubbish, I was there last night watching for a while. I may have left just before your race took off. I was chillin' by the gate kinda... where the orange cones were set up. I somehow got left with the task of keeping people off the course, which sucked, but eventually someone who was organizing the event came down and took my place.

I heard the course was a little sketchy with all the construction stuff going on. I used to love that course when I was ten pounds lighter... and apparently a little stronger. Ha! The random folks riding the course is definitely an issue but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done. Just have to ride around them. Still a real fun course though. Yeah, your extra pounds will definitely help you roll faster downhill... which is way more fun that hanging on in the descents.

I got to watch two groups of teenage longboarders argue and tempt one another to fight over riding the hill while the races were going on. One group were locals and the other had "drove over 1.5 hours to get here, dude!". I was cracking up. They didn't find my laughter humorous. The drunk guy trying to walk across the road was funny, too.

I heard the course was a little sketchy with all the construction stuff going on.

Hmm, I didn't notice any trouble with that but then again it was my first time doing the actual race. I've ridden Tabor plenty of times for training but never that exact loop...

hey rubbish - i'm sure you're shitting on dudes riding outlandishly expensive road rigs, how does that make you feel?

Mostly just makes me feel like the bike doesn't matter at all until you're winning cat 3 races. I'm pretty vocal about being against 4's and 5's with Powertaps and Zipps. No need for that stuff yet... then again, I'm racing on a nice setup on the track but I think I'm gonna take my steel around-town track bike out there tonight and see how it races.

All in all though, if you're strong, that's all there is to it and as long as your bike fits you and gets all the contact points where they need to be, and your gears don't miss a shift during a crucial moment, that's all that really matters. No hard feelings to anyone with a nicer bike except those older, richer guys who seem to think that they can just buy all their speed without any real training and blame their losses on not having deep enough rims or a light enough climbing wheelset.

Of course, some cycling magazines are basically extended advertisements for component companies and propaganda to upgrade all your stuff every season, and I can see how people get caught up in the consumerism bug... Hell, I used to be a little like that with snowboarding where "if it's a season old, it's not good anymore". Basically an industry based of the idea that the grass is always greener on the other side...

Alright I'm done spilling my caffeinated thoughts about this. Peace!

Starting to ride clipless is so strange when you're used to cages. Took me a few days to not have the cleat just slip straight off the pedal. It's the worst when taking off from a major intersection and there are cars behind you and you miss you pedal like a jackass.