bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Yo Joker...you or anyone else going to the cyclocross nationals this year? Cinnamon Toast Crunch still on here?

Not me. I haven't seen or heard from CTC for about year now. I assume he's still doing his thing. As usual, there's plenty going on in my hometown as far as CCX goes. One of these years I'm going to make the jump and move my training schedule around to tackle this CCX racing thing first hand.

A guy on my team is leading the single-speed CCX series here. First place for the whole series walks away with one of these fine thangs :

3Qtr1.jpg

Vanilla "Speedvagon"

i committed, and bought my first road bike

i already ate shit riding on some wet tile-type area

and rain season has just started

any suggestions on road tires with a bit more 'grab' to 'em?

coming from riding a motorcycle, i do understand that judgement/caution is key in the rain

but, any suggestions would be appreciated being that this is my main mode of transport.

So when cornering in the rain or at high speed you want to weight the outside pedal and make sure

it's in the 6 o'clock position. This will counter-act the bike wanting to slip out inthat direction.

As for tire choice most road tires are pretty grippy there are some rain tires that have a softer

compound but most tires with a different color on the edges is sporting a soft compound for

cornering.

As for tire pressure this is key. If the tire is rated at 110 max that is for a dry day and fast riding.

To get more grip in the rain or a smoother ride on rough roads go with about 10 lbs less. So 100 is

a good starting place. If you are very heavy then any less may lead to pinch flats. Never go below

the min PSI recommendation. Is molded into the sidewall (I bet you know this from motorcycles

though)

Only other advice I can give is learn to corner with your body more upright and the bicycle leaned

in more than you. SO on a dry day you might want to dive into the corner and really lean into it.

Chances are you could corner the same but with you body more upright with all your weight going

into the outside pedal at 6 o'clock. Just make sure you look where you are turning just like the

moto. The weighted pedal will keep you on line.

I think that may have been repetitive, but it should help.

Hope you are okay injury wise. Slideouts are usually no biggie.

Oh yeah I forgot. Tiles marble granite metal plates and manhole covers all have to be treated like

ice when wet. As in leave that shit alone! Boston is a nightmare for construction plates. I hate when

you're riding over one and wondering how the backwheel is passing your front as you're still

moving forwards! No Bueno.

I'm gonna break down the general reasoning behind this because you got half the picture with

the tire advice. Most shops will tell you that to keep flats to a minimum. Not a bad thing.

Max PSI reduces the chance of flats (the tire shoots things out instead of deforming over them)

It is also the fastest ride you can get out of the tire because it's really hard and has the smallest

contact patch possible. The trade off can be a harsh ride but that also depends on the materials and

construction of the casing. Like anything the more you spend the nicer the ride. But that is getting

into the fine details and nuances. The other thing you can scarifice at the max pressure is some

traction. Most tires pretty grippy at the high end even so they only gain traction as you reduce the

pressure. A few pounds less can get you a great deal more tire contact and only sacrifice a bit of

speed. But this increases safety considerably though. Okay your tire has a range of PSI rating. Prolly

100 - 120. Anything below 100 and you are looking at potential flats or handling issues. Sluggish.

Good PSI depends on a few details.

How tall heavy are you? How wide is the tire? 700x23c I would guess.

In general in the rain I run less in the front than the rear. I let air out

of both tires though. More specifically I pump them up to the PSI I want before

I go out.

If you are going to depend on the bike and ride in bad weather I would

suggest riding a 700x25c tire or 28c if you can fit it. It is still good to get

used how the tires feel at slightly different pressures as it can be of great benefit.

With that said:

Regardless of PSI a wet tile is gonna take out anyone who turns or leans on it.

Hey Count Chocula,

CONGRATS! Haha.

Yeah granite or marble surfaces like they put in business type areas round downtown oakland are death. For some reason they water that shit too. I had a friend fuck up his rotator cuff, not because it was raining, but they mustve powerwashed recently so the court was soaking wet. I nearly ate shit getting on my bike by trying to pedal and just spinning the back tire with no grip.

Other than that youre pretty safe on regular wet roads. Maybe down the psi to 80 if youre worried but youve really really gotta be hauling round some turn to hurt yourself. Ive ran gatorskins (which are pretty much slicks) for two soaking wet winters and havent had an accident.