bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
question

I just put a new bottom bracket and some used (but newish) cranks on my bike, and now at about 3:00 (on the drive side) when the crank is pointing towards the front wheel, there is a small creaking or tapping sound on each rotation. i don't know how to describe it. This is pretty vague, but any idea what this is? Its minor but I'm pretty paranoid about these things. I put the bb and cranks on myself, any common error i might have made? It seems to only happen on the smaller of the 2 chain rings, and the chain doesn't seem to be hitting the front derailer or anthing else.

[/i]

Do you have an aluminium frame or steel?

Does the new crank have the same size chain rings as the old?

Okay Creaking: Only in the inner ring at 3:00-so it's loaded on the downstroke-This could be two things. ONE: crank not tight enough. TWO: chainring bolts could be loose.

Tighten all of these things and your pedal too. Make sure the pedal threads are greased. Threads ALWAYS get the grease.

Sometimes a Very thin layer of grease can be put on a spindle before installing a crank arm. This is usually not needed as the anodized finish on the crank acts as a very thin layer of dry lubricant in the interface.

Also these two surfaces need to be clean as well.

If neither of those work out for you the next place to look is the fixed cup- which is on the driveside where you ticking is originating. It may not be seated all the way into the threads. I doubt this is your problem though unless you have an aluminium frame. BB's will creak in well greased alum. shell sometimes. Then you need the teflon tape to fill up the void.

Also,

how do you feel about bearing races? I've always been told to remove them whenever i come across them (headset, older bottom brackets, etc) and just pack the fucker with grease and a few extra bearings. I feel like there has to be some reason they are there in the first place though, besides ease of removal and such.

So you have an older loose ball square taper spindle bottom bracket.

I think your terminoligy is confused. A bearing race is what the bearings run on. It is the smooth surface at the back of your BB shell, same in a headset and hubs as well.

You are refering to a "Retainer clip" these are very useful as a time saving device.

These made quick repair and cleaning a simple task just like you thought. The extra bearings some would say are better for more contact points but a well adjusted component will work well either way. I say keep the retainer clip in service even if you replace the bearings. That way you won't have bearings spill out in a future repair. Your call.

So that would be a good diagnostic cronology.

Tighten shit first then if problems persist we can get more specific to pin point.

Good luck

^^^

chainring bolts were loose. Hopefully that solved it. One thing i forgot to mention is that I installed the bottom bracket (its a cartridge, i just switched from an older loose ball cottered spindle) i had to put it in the opposite way from what the instructions told me, because the treads were reversed on the frame (French). Is this a big deal?

And yes i meant "retainer clip." I was just looking for some different viewpoints on that issue.

Thanks Nerdunit ill let you know if the problem persists, but i doubt it.

blahh - Older French bikes are a headache for this particular reason. It has a different thread pitch and shell diameter than the current standard.

You have an English BB. It is a little smaller than a french one so that little bit of leeway allowed you to mash the incorrect threads together.

So it may creak or it may have been the rings. When this BB is done you will be looking for a new frame. Sorry to say. Keep your eye on it and make sure it isn't backing out. My guess is that shit is going nowhere fast.

Good thing is this. Cartridge BB's last for years. So enjoy your bike.

Gitane or Motobecane?

The threads seemed to fit just fine, but were on opposite sides from where they should have been. We'll see what happens

yeah i'm on the look out for a new frame. This bike is super heavy. An idea what brand of older frame might be the lightest? I cant really afford a new frame, so i'm hoping to find a used one that doesn't weigh 10 pounds like this thing does. I think it's a motobecane, from what i can tell. There are no decals on it and the head badge has been broken off. The only difference i can see from comparing it to photos and a friends motobecane is the detail on the fork. Not sure what its called. It cost me $000.00 though, so it works well.

if you have an old hi-tensile steel frame than upgrading to a little more modern tubing like 4130 chromoly will shave some weight. look for reynolds 531 decals on the classic european bikes, and ishiwata 019 / 017 or tange champ no. 1 / 2 on japanese ones. also, double/triple/quad butted are things to look for in the tubing sticker.

FUCK

its still there after tightening the chainring bolts. If the problem is that the threads are off, is there and easy remedy? I usually use the larger chainring, so i guess its not a huge deal. Maybe a test ride from one of the guys at my local shop could yield some answers.

thanks for the advice on frames rubbish. Realistically i'm sure if i saved up for a few months i could afford a more modern frame from somewhere. These numbers you say relate to older frames though? both?

today i was riding and my fuckin crank arm came completely off my shit so i had to go out and buy a tool set.....so for 45$ i got this

Includes the following tools: chain tool, integrated Bottom bracket wrench adapter, double bit Philips/Flat head screwdriver, 6-piece hex wrench set (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6mm), chainring bolt wrench/crankarm dust cover tool, Flat head screwdriver, 8mm hex wrench with ½“ driver, 2-piece tire lever set, 15mm pedal wrench with 14/15mm socket wrench, sprocket removal tool, integrated bottom bracket wrench, cassette lockring tool, 2-piece cone wrench set (2 x 13, 14, 15, 16mm), 3-sided spoke wrench, crank extractor, cartridge bottom bracket tool, T-25 torx wrench, patch kit

pretty good deal huh, ANY OTHER SUPER NECESSARY TOOLS ILL NEED....just wondering after all im pretty amatuer about this stuff..

and if anypne else wants the tool set heres the link

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22310&subcategory_ID=4218

basic tool-kit for maintenance:

+ cable cutter (fitting cable and housing)

+ chain breaker (see name)

+ pedal wrench (back-pedal, on; forward, off)

+ 4/5/6 Y-allen wrench (adjusting/installing brakes/stems/bars/derailleurs/etc)

+ 8/9/10 Y-hex wrench (some derailleurs and non-threaded u-brake pads)

+ 8mm allen wrench (keep crankarm bolts tight!)

+ smallish phillips screwdriver (limits and response on u-brakes)

+ spoke wrench (righty, tighty; lefty, loosey)

oughta do you right.

ps - some crankarms may require the old peanut-butter tool rather than the 8mm.

sounds like you probably need new cranks and/or a bottom bracket. cranks aren't supposed to just "fall off" your bike, that's some pretty serious bullshit.

naw it was because the lames who built my shit didnt tighten it well enough when installing it....I know performance is shitty for local bike shops, but they do lifetime adjustments and i get 10% back on anything i buy there so after i got my bike i got all the extras i needed for free basically...and im tryin to save money and they got a ton of sales all the time

i was thinking of riding critical mass tommorow, have you guys done it, what did you think of it/ no porkchop

cmass is pretty corny.

nothing more corny than having everyone look at you while you ride a bike. especially with a bunch of other cornballs. the only thing positive out of it, is that there are usually chicks on the rides. but then again,, a lot of those girls are lesbians.

wait what? FBM isn't 20" exclusive? when did this happen?

happened this week at interbike.

i have a friend that is a top bmx pro who will not hook it up with any new track parts coming out. trying to tell me its sooo hard for him to get stuff sent to him.

while a kid that i just started working with is a run of the mill am who has tons of free track product coming in with a simple phone call.

i think my buddy coordinated his wedding with that huge las vegas bike convention. haha, i just figured that out.