bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, no harm dude. but man, i guess i'm hated!

I say that because the past three years, i've gotten 3 differant helmets from 3 differant sponsors. And they all just sit in my garage because none of them fit my head.

And just to be the devil's advocate, its not like kids in the yard are getting warm welcomes when they ask advice about graffiti...But its not even like that because i'm more then happy to give advice, and tell recaps of the tour of swedish erotica...hahahaha.

that tour de swedish erotica was pretty funny.

i have a question about the sport.

before you guys got into competing how did you build yourself up? did you ride by yourself

for awhile until you felt you would be able to keep up with a team? did you and a couple

friends start riding together? did you join a team and just try to keep up for awhile? i ask

because several of my friends ride, but its mostly just point a to point b type stuff, no

training or competing or anything, and i'd really like to get into competing. (ok, im

definitely not ready to compete at all yet but im trying to get there) ive gotten a couple of

them to go out with me just riding around aimlessly but they usually lose interest within an

hour. i enjoy riding alone, but i find that i push myself a lot more when i'm riding with other

people. any suggestions? are there low-level teams? or maybe "build-up teams" so to

speak.

i'm kinda amazed i got so into bicycles. i got mine a couple months ago just for commuting

to and from work but i've fell in love with the feeling of being on my bike and i find myself

becoming more and more mature about the way i ride.

also, what do you suggest as far as a training schedule goes. im looking more for a street

ride to hill ride ratio than an actual laid out day to day schedule.

i am eternally grateful for any help.

Hey Hesh where are you at in your tri training? I just met a couple guys while out riding that did the Escape from Alcatraz last month. They said the 1.5 mile swim sucked. Two girls even caught hypothermia before reaching shore. Aside from that another tri up in Sonoma was coming up that they were training for.

before you guys got into competing how did you build yourself up? did you ride by yourself

for awhile until you felt you would be able to keep up with a team? did you and a couple

friends start riding together? did you join a team and just try to keep up for awhile? i ask

because several of my friends ride, but its mostly just point a to point b type stuff, no

training or competing or anything, and i'd really like to get into competing. (ok, im

definitely not ready to compete at all yet but im trying to get there) ive gotten a couple of

them to go out with me just riding around aimlessly but they usually lose interest within an

hour. i enjoy riding alone, but i find that i push myself a lot more when i'm riding with other

people. any suggestions? are there low-level teams? or maybe "build-up teams" so to

speak.

i'm kinda amazed i got so into bicycles. i got mine a couple months ago just for commuting

to and from work but i've fell in love with the feeling of being on my bike and i find myself

also, what do you suggest as far as a training schedule goes. im looking more for a street

For me, I used to race BMX before I got into dirt jumping BMX. Then a friend gave me a fixed gear bike that I used to get from A to B and I loved it but I also loved drinking and painting. I gave that away and bought a mountain bike so I could have something indestructible. I used it for it's intended purpose maybe twice. Flipping channels one day I came across the Tour on TV and figured I'd buy a rode bike and get back to my roots and race.

I first started to ride with a friend who was a cat2 on a team. After about four months of riding with him I joined a racing team / club. The good thing about that was that anyone could join for the price of the kit and a small annual fee. It gave me the chance to do weekend rides with a team of people above my skill level and I could ask dumb questions that they would have answered many, many times before. A few months later I entered my first cat4 race. A Google search will tell you what bike racing teams / clubs are in your area. And there should be a racing organization that should have a website to list results and such. Most organizations also list teams in the area with a link to their website.

Since then it's been a slow climb up but it's been fun. I don't have too many friends (aw, poor me) so having a team to ride with... the camaraderie is something I enjoy.

As for training... that's kind of a hard one to answer. As a beginner looking to race I'm not sure what I would suggest. Obviously don't over-do it too soon. Try to ride at least five days a week and get your longer rides on the weekend days. Don't do hills every day and don't do flats every day. Don't go balls out from the moment you turn a pedal till the moment you get home. Ease into a ride, put in a nice effort and then ease home. Kinda like a warm up, race, cool down. There's plenty of info out there for people looking to race to get them started. I remember picking up some book by Chris Carmichael & Lance Armstrong that was a great source of information. I found it used for $5. Covered everything.

The hardest part is the cost of being a bike racer. Even when you get to the point where you're floated free shit there's always something to pay for. Races, broken parts, clothing, tires & tubes, food and drink supplements. It seems like it never ends. A good thing about joining a team / club is that most are sponsored by some LBS where you can get a discount.

Hope that helps...

speak.

My dad has always been into cycling. Ever since i started riding bikes i had wanted to race them. I got older and started to ride mountain bikes, then raced them, then training on road bikes for mountain biking, and then racing road bikes.

I see a lot of people jump into racing headfirst; they purchase top notch equipment, they train on complicated schedules, ect... While you could do that, i'm going to assume that you're not interested in that kind of lifestyle. If i was a coach, i would tell you not to train seriously until a full year of riding and or racing. Just go out and ride how you feel. If you want to build endurance, go out for a few hours at a pace you could keep a conversation comfortably at. After a few months of that, go hard when you feel like it. Go to the mountains and get your ass kicked. Like joker said, club/team rides are also cool. you could probably find people at the same level as you who would love to ride, as well as find your way to races.

That being said, i think the best way to go is to keep riding your bike, find a local club and start doing rides with them. After all that, if you still want to race, you will probably be strong enough to race.

yeah, when i was a kid i really wanted to race bmx. there was a track right next to where my

mom worked. unfortunately my parents didnt have the money for a bicycle and i was too

young to work. for awhile i was going around my neighborhood mowing lawns for 5 dollars a

pop trying to save up for a bike. i usually got about 20 dollars a week, which was really hard

to keep around because i was young and didnt know how to save money. plus young ilb's

really liked his candy and soft drinks.

i definitely wasnt going to jump head first into some ridiculous training schedule, i just

wanted to get a ratio so i could base when i do train on something that a more experienced

rider has already laid out for themselves.

I also dont like the look or feel of the expensive bikes ive seen/ridden. a friend bought a

pretty much all carbon fiber bike several months back and i hated riding it. i mean the

components were pretty awesome but the actual frame.. i dont know, i just wasnt having it. i

forget what manufacturer it was though. i really dont like the look of aluminum bikes. i

have my 71 le tour III and i am looking for a peugeot frame to build up right now. ive

never ridden a peugeot but every time i see one i pretty much have an orgasm. i am

not sure why that is so i plan on finding out.

i kind of went off there, sorry about that.

Most of the racing population (the ones who do it for a hobby, like me) race and train on carbon or aluminum. Just seems to be the standard. I would think because of the weight savings. Once the road goes up... every little ounce helps. I know there are some guys out there who do race on steel bikes but they are of a newer breed... like a Vanilla frame for example. I have no idea if that makes a difference when it comes to racing a Le Tour bike from back in the day.

I think Swedish said it perfectly. Ride as much as you can / want and then join a club / team and ride with them. After several months you'll know if you want to race, or feel like you can.

Boxcars, Theres an MS Tour coming up in September you should look into at http://www.wavestowine.org . Not the 150 mile thing but the 40 mile rec ride on the 29th. A couple friends got into cycling this summer and have been training for it. I think you might enjoy it— if not for the group ride and just as something to train for— also you should be able to get some answers about local cycling clubs and teams and find one that fits your needs.

So after a long time deciding, and trying out probably 15 bikes or so, i ended up getting this...

raleigh rush hour.

0c1c_12.JPG

its about half stock with some upgrades to the seat/post, bars, cog, chainring and brakes. also i just put some platform-style pedals for the commute.

after a week and a half of riding it, i have to say its probably the most amazing bike i have ever been on. it rides 1000x better on the streets of los angeles than my old geared did.

also, midnight ridazz and critical mass in los angeles are ridiculously fun to ride in.

i've heard of it being done, but fuck that...

i won't even try it. i use my freewheel all the time on trails, for balance, log crossings, etc. fixed on a straight road/track is one thing, on a quick switch single track scattered with boulders... not going to happen.