Diet and Nutrition Superthread

Guest Ginger Bread Man

Guest im not witty

yeah me neither.. i guess all those "beer bellies" are products of bbq wings and onion rings the size of a plate instead of the beer. interesting.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I've been at a fixed 130 for the past 8 years or so... no amount of eating would make me gain weight. Last time I checked my body fat (about 8 months ago) I was under 4%. This was not good for the Providence winter... but it allowed me to switch back to whole milk (favorite think to drink in the world) without feeling bad.

Moving back with the family and moving closer o the mid-20's has FINALLY allowed me to gain a few pounds. Tasty, unhealthy homecooking (we eat an incredible amount of meat and few to no veggies), working on the computer all day, and dual leg injuries that prevent me from doing any of the excercises I used to do (dancing, flexibility, balance) have taken their toll and I can see the flab starting to accumulate in my lower tummy (this was two months ago, it's substantially larger now). I'm probably up to 137 or so. The lightning metabolism isn't what it used to be, and it's time I started putting some effort into the diet.

But it's really hard to do when, after 4 years of Ramen, I am offered huge plates of rice, beans, pork, beef, fried stuff, you name it...

Originally posted by nomadawhat

from: http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/Alcoh...sAndWeight.html

The Data:

Alcohol contains calories, but drinking alcohol doesn't lead to weight gain, according to extensive medical research, and many studies report a small reduction in weight for women who drink. 1

The reason that alcohol doesn't increase weight is unclear, but research suggests that alcohol energy is not efficiently used. 2 Alcohol also appears to increase metabolic rate significantly, thus causing more calories to be burned rather than stored in the body as fat. 3 Other research has found consumption of sugar to decrease as consumption of alcohol increases. 4

Whatever the reasons, the consumption of alcohol is not associated with weight gain and is often associated with weight loss in women. The medical evidence of this is based on a large number of studies of thousands of people around the world. 5 Some of these studies are very large; one involved nearly 80,000 and another included 140,000 subjects.

Alcohol beverages contain no fat, no cholesterol, and very little sodium. Of course, the nutritional value of different alcohol beverages varies.

The moderate consumption of alcohol is associated with better health and longer life than is either abstaining from alcohol or abusing alcohol. However, the health benefits of drinking are associated with moderation [learn more about Alcohol and Health]. On the other hand, heavy drinking is associated with cirrhosis of the liver, breast cancer, and other health problems. The key word is moderation.

-i never heard this (n0n-weight gain part)... but i like it.

yeah me neither.. i guess all those "beer bellies" are products of bbq wings and onion rings the size of a plate instead of the beer. interesting.

ok i will put this in laymans terms. While alcoholic beverages might not contain fat or cholesterol, ONE shot contains about 150 calories, so unless you are a 12 year old girl, you are going to have a few of them over the course of the evening. In addition to that, it also does the following...

Dehydrates you

Lowers testosterone

Raises estrogen

Converts to fat

Prevents fat from being metabolised

Slows protein synthesis

and although some beers have low carbs, most dont, which is why in my previous post i mentioned not to eat pasta(high carb foods) before bed. It also acts as a Diuretic, which makes you piss out more water, leaving you dehydrated.

I'm not saying not to drink at all, but if you are concerned about your health and/or appearance, you might want to save the "getting sloshed" nights for once or twice a month, or at most once on the weekends.

Guest Ginger Bread Man
Originally posted by Devilush

i've also cut down on breads. if i get a sandwich i tell them to cut it in half. i'd eat half of the sandwich and the other half i would just eat the meat. nothing else.

i went to subway and cut the carbs in half by eating a full subs meat on half the portion of bread. it was good stuff. any sandwich i eat or buy i only eat one slice of bread.

i must say mexican food is good if you cook it yourself. its all about the fresh ingredients<im mexican> unless you know what your cooking dont trust it.

Originally posted by Joker

In the past few days I've passed up just about everything I've been used to eating. I thought before I started that I would be hating life and missing out on the foods I love. Come to realize that I don't so much. Mainly because my goal is to be healthy again. Between my dietician and my coach I should gain some perspective on eating right and being competitive for cycling. The only thing missing is the drive to paint...

>good to hear, i'm getting to the point where i can figure it out myself with all the studying i've been doing, in my case i just have to work out more. as for the drive to paint, i wish i knew:).

Mexican is not as easy as you'd think. Unless of course you make it yourself and know your ingredients. I believe the key to my success will be to eat at home more often than not.

this is key for everyone looking to eat right as well. here is a recipe for rye bread from buffalo native daniel leader of bread alone bakery in boiceville, ny,

www.breadalone.com who will ship this very shipping friendly bread to you if you are too lazy to bake it(it tastes better twenty four hours after it's been out of the oven). http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe...LL-PAGE,00.html the recipe for rye sourdough starter is found in his book, there are a lot of nice breads in there that don't use wheat flour. get a mixer, a pizza stone or quarry tile, that book and a nice store of rye and other grains at the healthy foods store and get started right now. you won't regret it, baking is a very zen activity with real rewards. i know i couldn't live without bread. you've inspired me to work on that particular bread right now, i'll keep you posted on how it turns out. it looked great on television.

>on eating out:

i think alot sauces and soups at decent restaurants don't use flour as a thickener, it's not practical to have something sitting around with starchy thickeners, especially wheat flour, in it unless it's kept cold and gets warmed up with the sauce. thank the french neuveau movement for that. it doesn't hurt to ask the server to ask the chef.

Salads are fine as long as I have oil and balsimic vinegar as a dressing. It's all really complicated and very confusing but I'm hoping that after a while it all becomes second nature. Making better choices for a healthier life down the road.

>good to hear. and i, for one, could eat balsamic and oil for the rest of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

joker-ok, the bread worked out just fine, but i met somebody today that's gluten sensitive, and was told that rye still has gluten, and spelt, and even oats do too. you might want to try other natural grains if you get sick of rice and corn, including millet, quinoa, and buckwheat. other great sources of carbs that maybe are lesser known are orange fleshed squash, green beans, cassava, and plaintains.

no dieting today, apple pie has been consumed in copious amounts.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by 23578

joker-ok, the bread worked out just fine, but i met somebody today that's gluten sensitive, and was told that rye still has gluten, and spelt, and even oats do too. you might want to try other natural grains if you get sick of rice and corn, including millet, quinoa, and buckwheat. other great sources of carbs that maybe are lesser known are orange fleshed squash, green beans, cassava, and plaintains.

no dieting today, apple pie has been consumed in copious amounts.

Yea, I was pretty sure Rye is still made with some kind of flour, that isn't rice or corn flour. Thanks for checking into it though.

It's been a while since I started on this and today was the first day I slipped. A friend walked into work with a bag full of chocolate covered pretzels and I caved in like a school girl for Justin Timberlake. They were so good but I only had about five. About fifteen minutes later I could actually feel my stomach getting pissed off. Weirded me out.

I've heard that spaghetti squash is divine. I think I need to try it. I've tried the corn pasta and it's lacking. And if squash has carbs, that's good for the cycling.

Thanks for the tips 23578!

spaghetti squash is excellent and real easy to prepare.

i was in great shape two months ago. then i got mono and it wrecked me. lost muscle, gained fat... i've gained 8 lbs in a month. i tried to come back on the bike too quick, and i stayed sick... did 30 miles on the fixed gear on monday- it hurt me, but now i'm feeling ok...

green tea is my shit.

word tearz orange squash is easy cut in 1/2, rubbed beforehand with some oil, and placed on a sheet pan 400degrees for 40 minutes gets it soft and edible. butternut is easy to peel, acorn is awesome but hard to peel, both can be cut unpeeled in 1/2 inch slices rubbed with oil and cooked for about 10 additional minutes flipping 2/3-3/4 of the way through depending on how hot your oven is (should be slightly browned on the bottom surface) and the skin will be easily avoided. that way it's easy to use as the basis of a meal because it goes well with alot of sauces. most vegetarians would probably not feel comfortable without the traditional soup base or brown sugar and butter, but i like it plain with some salt. i think spagetti squash is a bit more stringy, i haven't used it much because of it's size. if you want to keep 1/2 of the squash for later leave in the seeds, it keeps better that way. you can toast the dried seeds by tossing with a little oil and salt.

i'm just happy sharing what i know. peace.

YO!

spaghetti squash is excellent.

i made it on a whim many years ago, it turned out great!

when i opened it. it really looked like spaghetti!

i was buggin.

...so, anyone else like those 'naked' juices?

they are so friggin tasty.

i just had the spirulina one.

blend_greenmachine.jpg

yum!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Joker

Yea, I was pretty sure Rye is still made with some kind of flour, that isn't rice or corn flour. Thanks for checking into it though.

[/b]

OK, don't believe everything everyone says. The rye bread that I was talking about uses only the natural low level of gluten in the rye for the yeasts to leaven it with no added wheat flour. It's very dense and you may not like it. You can order it from the website, or rent Bread Alone and make it yourself. Read the steps on making, storing, and feeding the chef really well however. And you're right pasta and pizza are out, I don't think they have engineered anything like gluten yet. . .hint, hint you little tinkers.

Rye bread is also good diet food as it turns out. It contains pentosans, 5-carbon sugars that have a huge water binding capacity that cause the rye to retain moisture, and are hard for the body to metabolize.

OK, do any of you know why oil is liquid and fat solid? It has to do with the molecular structure of the hydrocarbon chains. The degree to which these carbon chains have bonded with hydrogen is the degree of saturation which the fat has. Red meat fat is probably the most solid occuring fat, thus the most saturated, and the worst for us. It is solid because the hydrocarbon chains have double bonds and are of the same length so they stack well. Chicken fat is more squishy, thus it is slightly better for us. Polyunsaturated fats such as linoleic, and linolenic acids found to various degrees in fish, olive oil, canola oil are kinked in certain places, and the two above play essential roles in the formation of our cell membranes. Not only is fat the body's energy storage mechanism it also transports the essential human fat soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K. Enough linoleic acid and fat for a days requirement is in one tablespoon of vegetable oil.

im a serious ass bodybuilder.

6 days a week.. 30 minutes of cardio and about an hour to an hour and a half of lifting...

my diet is seriously white meats and veggies...

carbs in the morning.. mostly all bran cereal or wheaties.

milk in the morning..

then just meat and veggies all day *(plus a SHITLOAD of supliments)*

im 220 lbs, and could rip your head off with my bare hands. not really THAT stong yet but getting there.. the gains are insane and im still climbing.. but i got alot of brown fat... fat on the hips and inner thighs.. thus the cardio and diet... by june i'll be between 10 and 11 percent body fat, 210 lbs, and 19.5 inch biceps...

giving.. killing it in the gym.

Originally posted by CinchedWaist

jeebus.

just don't get too big, ok?

Men like that are scary.

haha deal.

im pretty big for my frame... since im only 5'11 or 6 foot... but i look pretty nice..

my BIGGEST goal is to drop the fat that haunts me in my sleep.. but it's always super slow to go, but in 6 months i'll check back in a new man...

just gotta get fit so i can get that dreamgirl.. ya know? noone wants a slob...

the best way to lose weight is to run or do heavy cardio exercise first thing in the morning or whenever you wake up. this speeds up your metabolism and gives you a lot more energy during the day, which also burns fat because you're moving more. eating small meals throughout the day is better than just eating once or twice because you're fueling your body bit by bit as it goes so your momentum is at a high level all day. you should eat the least amount of carbohydrates at night because carbs are instant energy & when you're winding down the calories dont get used and store in your body as fat. you should try not to eat after 9 or 10pm depending on when you go to bed.

if you want to be buff, lift weights and eat a lot of protein. when you lift, do 4 sets going down from 12, 10, 8, 6, and increase the weight by one measurement each time you finish a set. doing that tears your muscles slowly so they can build strong instead of ripping them and causing you strain. eat lots of low fat protein throughout the day, especially after working out. my brother, a personal trainer, recommends drinking a protein shake before you go to sleep because your muscles rebuild when you sleep & this increases strength.

o! and the best thing to do when you're hungry late at night is to eat something small with a lot of fat, like cheese, because it fills you up & you tend to eat less of it.

i guess itd be relevant to post that ive lost 30 pounds so far on atkins. i started september 21st, did it hardcore for another month and a half and lost around 20-23 pounds, was off it pretty much completely for the last month or so(is my calendar math making sense???) and i still ended up losing those last 7-10 pounds. im back on it now...i think the main reason i ended up stopping for so long was due to:

beer and mixed drinks

the munchies

jack in the box

red robin

working at a pizza place.

hard temptations, and after i lost all that weight so early on i was like, "eh, fuck it, i'll reward myself." and i'll probably do that again in another 2 months.

cant wait.

Originally posted by You All Rott

if you want to be buff, lift weights and eat a lot of protein. when you lift, do 4 sets going down from 12, 10, 8, 6, and increase the weight by one measurement each time you finish a set. doing that tears your muscles slowly so they can build strong instead of ripping them and causing you strain. eat lots of low fat protein throughout the day, especially after working out. my brother, a personal trainer, recommends drinking a protein shake before you go to sleep because your muscles rebuild when you sleep & this increases strength.

it all depends on your body. many power lifters do 3 sets of 6-8 reps, using the same weight the whole time. you would want a protein shake when you wake up, an hour or two before your workout, and within an hour after you finish working out.(in addition to before bed)...i have gotten some of my best gains when i took in 30g (one scoop) of protein every hour, or if i couldnt do that i drank at least 1 liter of water.

o! and the best thing to do when you're hungry late at night is to eat something small with a lot of fat, like cheese, because it fills you up & you tend to eat less of it.

you need to be careful with that. the only fats, if any, you would want before bedtime would be EFA (essential fatty acids), and usually you would take this in with protein. something with a lot of fat is not a good idea.

Originally posted by Giving Tree

how did you like atkins?

did you loose alot of body fat and muscle mass? i heard its REALLY bad for bodybuilders..

it is. it is aimed at an older audience. there are a number of cases of people suffering strokes, and if you workout consistently then you will be tired because of the lack of carbs...not to mention that there is too much cholesterol. i would instead go with the CKD diet, which is similar to the atkins diet. they are both keto diets, but atkins is a simple keto diet, and CKD is aimed towards athletes.

atkins relies on monotany of the diet, rather than intentionally cutting back how many calories you take in.

eh, its not really that simply put though....as far as its effects for bodybuilders, no, it wont be good. but of course not...that type of physical strain requires a MUCH more balanced diet for your lifting to be most effective. i sure as fuck havent LOST any muscle mass, thats for sure. and consistent exercise wont be affected by atkins, because if your body has switched to burning fat, you have anendless supply of fuel. rather than burning off the carbs first, and then burning fat, youre just burning fat. there are lots of marathon runners on atkins who do quite well.

the only reason its aimed more towards older folks is because thats where the majority of at risk overweight people are. the only way the diet affects yr cholesterol is by lowering it. i havent had a chance to go to the doctor(no med. insurance) but my mom, whos also doing atkins, is in the best health shes been in since she can remember, and the doctors visits have proven it.

atkins isnt for everyone, but for overweight people needing to lose weight in an effective and healthy way....it works. and its proven to work thousands of times over. theres a reason you hear about it more and more these days. i dont know much about the CKD diet, but im sure it too will work for some and not work for others. every body is different...they should be treated that way.

Archived