Diet and Nutrition Superthread

Guest Ginger Bread Man

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

I try to do 100 every day, try being the operative word. I think I'm kidding myself though. I mean, don't you have to do like 500 for it to have any impact?

nah, the trick is to increase it once you feel comfortable with a certain amount.... so i have to get it up to two days out of three (even though i didnt do them last night, shit!) and increase quantity to 70..... it does have an impact, mostly on the pecs.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

I try to do 100 every day, try being the operative word. I think I'm kidding myself though. I mean, don't you have to do like 500 for it to have any impact?

no. if pushups are all you are going to be doing, do them to failure everynight...i.e. to the point where you can no longer lift your self. put your arms wider apart to incorporate your biceps and back.

Originally posted by suburbian bum

Also listen to your body. If you crave protien, eat it. If you crave bread eat it. There is a difference between eating what you like and listening to what your body wants. Its kinda hard to do, and harder to explain. But just try to eat what you feel is best for you.

this is a good attitude bro. it doesn't work for everybody, but i'm glad to hear you're doing well on it. so many folks are getting brainwashed by the newest dietary trends, it's refreshing to hear someone sticking to the tried and the true.

joker-that sucks dude, i feel for you, but so many cultures have just discovered wheat that they still rarely use it. i know you're a cultured dude, just start cooking and eating mexican, asian, island, eastern european. it's pretty hard to get the same stuff since gluten is only found in wheat, but there are other ways to aerate, beaten egg whites for example. you'll be fine. white flour sucks anyhow. is semolina wheat based?

Guest Ginger Bread Man

for whoever made the comment about caffiene. i work for starbucks and i dont drink caffiene at all. it has been proven that caffiene before working out will greatly increase your results. more than anything i wanted to bump this subject...hahahhaa

I've got a cookie in my mouth right now.

I try to avoid the soda and burger route but I'm far

from a healthy eater. But there's an orgaic food store

opening under my appt so I might find it easier to get

some good quality grub in the near future.

ive really been trying recently to exercise everday and eat healthy...

i dont drink any soda or caffeine, and also have pretty much stopped eating fast food all together because of my ulcer.

the only thing is, i HATE doing shit like running or cardio, so i do pilates everday and yoga, and work out with an exercise ball, which already i can tell is working because i hurt everywhere.

does anyone know? how much is TOO much when it comes to carbs? If i eat a plate of rice everday and then have a plate of pasta for dinner, is that too many carbs??

also..does anyone know of any good diet pills that won't make me feel like i'm on speed? i was taking Totally lean, but i felt like i was all cracked out because of the 80 mgs of caffeine a day.

and..is subway as healthy as they say it is?

well i never really cared about what i ate. in high school i did step aerobics 5 days a week and twice a day. plus i was vegetarian so that helped my figure a lot. plus i skated.

then i'd eat whatever i would like......but i drank a lot. so that went downhill for a lil bit. i'm one of those people that dont gain so much weight no matter how much i eat. all of it goes to the right places and not the tummy.

just recently i stopped eating rice so much. being asian, rice is a staple for everything. so i stopped eating it completely almost. then i stopped eating pasta and stopped drinking too much. i ride my bike and i walk everywhere it seems. i still eat anything i want, but in smaller portions. i never finish my meal. i never finish even half of it anymore. i take it to go and when i feel up to it, i'd eat a lil bit more of it. i've also cut down on breads. if i get a sandwich i tell them to cut it in half. i'd eat half of the sandwich and the other half i would just eat the meat. nothing else. i trimmed up a great deal. i still drink caffeine and or cola.

so i think i'm doing damn good.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«

also..does anyone know of any good diet pills that won't make me feel like i'm on speed? i was taking Totally lean, but i felt like i was all cracked out because of the 80 mgs of caffeine a day.

and..is subway as healthy as they say it is?

take a look at the site link I dropped on page 1.

Im on that stuff. Its 100% ephedrine free. Its safe.

You dont feel like your on speed or crank.

You will experience a natural zippy feeling. But thats

because the pills youre taking are packed with

all the vitamins you need to get your body going.

I feel like a million bucks after I take my vitamins,

and drink a shake. If you dont munch on something,

you will feel a bit funny, so you have to snack a lil.

I eat fruit inbetween as a snack. Drink plenty of water too.

Its working for me. You just have to stick to it.

Im already losing inches.

Subway is healthy, as long as you dont let them pour

that oil all over your sandwich. Have them go easy

on the mayo, and you should be all good. Since they

only put a lil bit of meat in the sandwiches, I go veggie

when I eat there...might as well, theyre skimp on meat.

But, its good. Tatse just like a regular subway sandwich.

Cheaper too. A veggie sandwich is about 2.39, and

a sandwich with meat is like a buck fifty more.

I do it like this...

Shake and pills, healthy and hearty lunch, shake and pills,

with fruit inbetween, and lpenty of water.

i feel grrrreat! haha

I'm going to mention the Atkins diet, and see how many objectors respond...but, for the 60% of america that has become obese, its in no doubt the best way to lose weight.

I'm doing this right now, i've been on it for 4 days, and i already feel the increase in stable energy now that i've cut out carbs from diet. a low fat, high carb diet has been proved to be the leading cause in diabetes and heart disease, and switching to a carb controlled diet lowers the chance for the both of these dramatically, along with reduced cholesterol. it makes all the sense in the world...

after my foot heals from the sprain i got, i'm gunna be walking/lifting daily. i'm at such a high risk for diabetes and heart disease(it runs in my family...for the overweight mexicans on my dad's side....) that i'd be stupid to not turn my life around. hooray for healthy living!

colonics scare me.

i should probably get one, but i've been vegetarian for about 9 years now so i don't think my buildup level is too out of control..

on the other hand, i should flush all those meat remnants once and for all..

finally excercising..cardio kickboxing

plus the bike..

i've been told recently i could kick ass.

i definitely pay attention to eating healthy..

although i still eat a lot of sweets and chocolate.

and i don't drink alcohol anymore

plus all the tea drinking

i think i'm doin ok.

i dunno my fat %..i'm curious though.

Originally posted by !@#$%

and i don't drink alcohol anymore

yeah... that doesn't seem like an option for me.

Somehow it just finds me. I mean last night I paid

for 3 drinks and got about 8. Maybe it's the charm..... :cool:

i hear ya man..

i had to stop going to bars

(and not just because they bore the living daylights outta me)

this one bar in my neighborhood is fresh.

the drinks are poured with a cement hand and they are super cheap

(quadruple shot of dark bacardi no ice for 2.50)

and of course the bartenders knew me..

they also knew what i drank

plus they liked me.

so every time i walked in the front door, a quadruple of straight up rum would appear on the bar for my pleasure..

even when i had switched to beer to try to calm the constitution..

then i had to just stop going.

they really wanted me drinking.

Originally posted by 23578

joker-that sucks dude, i feel for you, but so many cultures have just discovered wheat that they still rarely use it. i know you're a cultured dude, just start cooking and eating mexican, asian, island, eastern european. it's pretty hard to get the same stuff since gluten is only found in wheat, but there are other ways to aerate, beaten egg whites for example. you'll be fine. white flour sucks anyhow. is semolina wheat based?

In the past few days I've passed up just about everything I've been used to eating. I thought before I started that I would be hating life and missing out on the foods I love. Come to realize that I don't so much. Mainly because my goal is to be healthy again. Between my dietician and my coach I should gain some perspective on eating right and being competitive for cycling. The only thing missing is the drive to paint...

Mexican is not as easy as you'd think. Unless of course you make it yourself and know your ingredients. Asian is good if you stick to rice noodles. Even rice paper is gluten based. So there are tricky pieces to eating Asian as well. Island food seems very close to Japanese so for themost part should be okay. I have to look into sauces and see what I can eat and what I need to avoid. And Eastern food has lots of spices which is fine if they're fresh. Bottled spices tend to have flour mixed in to keep the spice in bottle from melting together. I believe the key to my success will be to eat at home more often than not. Salads are fine as long as I have oil and balsimic vinegar as a dressing. It's all really complicated and very confusing but I'm hoping that after a while it all becomes second nature. Making better choices for a healthier life down the road.

Colonics... Interesting but not as fun as I had been told. And kinda humiliating. But definitely worth the grief.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

I love berries...mmm..so I eat plenty

of them. Theyre good antioxidants.

So, my veins wont get cluttered with

unwanted crap.

Im not big on chocolate, so I dont

eat it much. I have a thing for gummies.

Theyre fat free, and not too sweet.

So its perfect.

Colonics...like hammer said..

cant touch this.

http://www.mtv-china.com/avzone/photo/video/71cant_touch_this.jpg'>

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«

how much is TOO much when it comes to carbs? If i eat a plate of rice everday and then have a plate of pasta for dinner, is that too many carbs??

as long as those plates arent heaping then its fine. the main time you want to avoid carbs is before bed.

xenadrine RFX, etc. will all be good to take, and wont make you feel jittery.

also a multi-vitamin can make a world of difference in how you feel.

shit joker, no wheat? i'd be screwed. i miss seitan fajitas.

good topic, i'd like to mention staying away from vitamins if at all possible. if your diet is lacking a certain nutrient trying getting it directly from the food source. i've been vegetarian for 11 years now and the biggest thing that bugs me is that people always say do you take vitamins? unless you live in ethiopia there's no need. i've never been a caffenine freak so i've never paid much attention to it when reading books but i could have sworn caffenine combines itself with other vitamins such as calcium therefore eliminating its value. i'll have to see if i have any books laying around. i think one of the most overlooked thing to staying fit is just plain old stretching. being limber naturally leads you to being more active in life. i just wish i didn't love sleep so much.

healthy? i hope so.

i do those silly spinning classes 2x a week, boy do they make you sweat! i swear my instructor is sadistic. then i run around 6+ miles 2x a week. before each cardio workout i do light many rep weights.

i try to drink a lot of water, but it's hard for me sitting all day

i eat a bowl of cereal/oatmeal for breakfast, 2 veggie chik patties and a yogurt for lunch, then another fake meat product for dinner, plus some vegetable or pita and hummus.

i'm pretty careful what i eat. i've always been careful.

i love my new gym!

in college i was around 19% body fat, i don't know what i am now.

Guest im not witty

ive started to worry more about my health. im quit smoking cigs a year ago, still smoke other things. *sheepish grin.

its not that im fat at all. 5'11' maybe 155 lbs. i have a fetal pot belly that im afraid will grow stronger with every beer i drink. its not really there, but i can see that it wants to be. i think im going to start drinking more wine, less beer. any ideas?

of course i skateboard everyday, and thats good exercise to some degree. cant really make myself go do like real regulated exercises. just walk and skate.

whats up with sweet tea? someone told me it blocks iron or some crazy shit. i dont know ill believe anything.

Originally posted by im not witty

i have a fetal pot belly that im afraid will grow stronger with every beer i drink. its not really there, but i can see that it wants to be. i think im going to start drinking more wine, less beer. any ideas?

from: http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/Alcoh...sAndWeight.html

The Data:

Alcohol contains calories, but drinking alcohol doesn't lead to weight gain, according to extensive medical research, and many studies report a small reduction in weight for women who drink. 1

The reason that alcohol doesn't increase weight is unclear, but research suggests that alcohol energy is not efficiently used. 2 Alcohol also appears to increase metabolic rate significantly, thus causing more calories to be burned rather than stored in the body as fat. 3 Other research has found consumption of sugar to decrease as consumption of alcohol increases. 4

Whatever the reasons, the consumption of alcohol is not associated with weight gain and is often associated with weight loss in women. The medical evidence of this is based on a large number of studies of thousands of people around the world. 5 Some of these studies are very large; one involved nearly 80,000 and another included 140,000 subjects.

Alcohol beverages contain no fat, no cholesterol, and very little sodium. Of course, the nutritional value of different alcohol beverages varies.

The moderate consumption of alcohol is associated with better health and longer life than is either abstaining from alcohol or abusing alcohol. However, the health benefits of drinking are associated with moderation [learn more about Alcohol and Health]. On the other hand, heavy drinking is associated with cirrhosis of the liver, breast cancer, and other health problems. The key word is moderation.

-i never heard this (n0n-weight gain part)... but i like it.