Supreme Court Up Holds Racism

Kettiecat

after making a hundred thousand dollars instead of going to college over a little over four years and moving back to a college town.....

i am of the opinion that quite a bit of the mostly white college students are stupid, spoiled, and need they hand held the learn how to be an adult.......

really though.....if your going to college to be a biochemist than much respect..........but if your going to college to rebel, cause you dont know what to do, or because your family tells you must.....

fuck that make money.

this computer sucks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nahhh...its not all that....but considering i had nothing but a ged and jail time with a half a dozen quit jobs on the resume its not to shabby.

besides..........i was selected for a job over many people with college educations and turned that shit down.

affirmative action is straight bullshit, and so is this decision.

like i told esai, it actually makes it worse for black college students - and the country as a whole. some of you people are just so quick to defend any type of action which appears to be pro-black on its surface that you fail to really think about the issue and its effects.

to say that this is retribution for the past is bullshit. the past is in the past - what happened was fucked up but theres no undoing it now.

what we need now is for young black people to know that they earned everything they have - not that it was handed down by the supreme court. and we need the other college students to realize that the black students are there for their achievements and intelligence - not look at them and say 'theyre here because theyre black'. that creates more racial tension and demotes racial equality.

Originally posted by Pistol

But trying to pull that I'm not getting in because some underqualified black kid from Harlem is "getting in cause he's black" is bullshit.

I realize that most of the people who don't get in don't deserve to get in. BUT you have to acknowledge that if there are 100 openings to fill and they're going to take the kids with the greatest number of points and minorities were given a 20 point handicap, it puts them at an advantage to get in.

perfect SAT's - 10 points

minority - 10 points

"urban" - 10 points

athletic ability - 5 points

parents went to the university 20 points

where did you get that from? U of M had 20 out of 150 for being a minority. I'm not sure on anything else. But I would agree with you that giving points for parents attending the same university is wrong.

Maybe if anything if race was the ONLY factor it would be discrimination but not racism.

It just means they can take into consideration the fact that someone is a minority.

racism....discrimination...you're still erroneously judging people. To say that someone is black, what does that tell you about them? To say that someone is white, what does that tell you about them? If we want a diverse campus we need to look beyond skin color. If all you have is middle class white and middle class black people going to your university (which for the most part the minority students that do get in are from a middle class background) you still do not have a diverse "enriching" environment.

Originally posted by bug

the presupposition of the title of this thread exudes ignorance.

rac·ism ( P ) P

n. 1. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

prej·u·dice

n. 1. judge prematurely and irrationally

Universitys can use race as a factor in judging which students can get in....

Originally posted by bug

privilaged suburbanites...

before you open your mouth don't judge, I've been on both sides of the fence.

Originally posted by Kettiecat

no its because you a homosexual jewish bastard

woah! let's give him a free college education!

i was saying shut the fuck up because you said "gays"

but i wasn't paying attention.. i shoulda make that sound more like i was joking.. because i didn't mean to sound so seriously pissed off

Please Kettie if your best shot at my reply was saying Michigan gives minorities 20 points rather than 10 and failed to see I posted a simple example rather than a calculation set in stone is laughable.

And don't try to back track saying you think that income should be considered but not race. Because you never mentioned anything about that in your first post. The only thing you mentioned was that "tan in the summertime" line.

To get to the root of 'the problem' is not so simple as to say affirmative action is great and keep it or even to say let's throw Watts & East Los Angeles a few mill to buy some books and teachers.

But by getting more minorities into college would help in a variety of ways.

a. the importance of a college education would be passed down from the present generation. (for many college isn't really pushed on minorities from both parents and teachers) it's hard for a struggling family to say go to college when they need that kid to help pay bills.

b. a large number of minority professionals go back to 'the neighborhood' to run their dentistry, medical offices, firms etc.

c. perhaps some can go back to teach in the community and provide role models and inspiration for youngsters that hardly see another person of color with a masters.

you get the picture.

Pistol

the whole idea of handing out "points" is a joke.

My first post was done in literally 2 minutes before I ran off to work because I wanted to get people talking about it. I believe I even stated that disclaimer in the post.

And no one has really answered my question of exactly why affirmative action is needed to get minorities into college. If all you can say is that their parents want them to stay at home and earn a pay check, go visit a trailor park, the white boy's dad is saying the same thing to him.

So my question is WHY aren't minorities going to the elite schools?

rac·ism

( P ) P n. 1. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

prej·u·dice

n. 1. judge prematurely and irrationally

Universitys can use race as a factor in judging which students can get in....

while the definition is true, i was thinking along the lines of the "institution of racism" that has been in effect in this country for centuries which favors white-americans. some supreme court ruling that gives a temporary policy to reverse this "institution" may use race as a criterion, but it is just an attempt to destroy that institution.

Universities use lots of crietria to decide who attends their school, and some are as irrational as race.

i never bitched about the abundance of athletic scholarships that were offered to people who i deemed didn't belong at a university, and i still maintain that sports has no place in higher learning. but you don't see me bitching about it, because the university wants athletic programs, so they will have it.

Likewise, if a university wants racial diversity on campus, they should be entitled to use race as criterion to achieve that.

before you open your mouth don't judge, I've been on both sides of the fence.

so have i. i've seen a lot, i grew up in a dirty rat infested home in a neighboorhood where kids would beat me up for being the only white kid, my father ended up making good money and we ended up in an extremely wealthy neighboorhood in a 12 room mansion, and then we ended moving later to a two bedroom apartment stuffed with 6 people in poor neighborhood. i've had friends from all socio-economic backgrounds all over the country, and honestly, seeing all that i've seen, i'm sick of hearing priviledged white kids bitching about life being a little harder for them as we try to correct the wrongs that have been ingrained in society

But does affirmative action REALLY correct those wrongs?

Wouldn't it be more effective to have EVERYTHING merit based. Race is socially construed. There really is no way of determining what race a person is. This diversity that colleges want has to be based off more than skin color. A wide range of ethnicities would be more effective.

Originally posted by mr_president

we should just let black people run shit for like 5 years, see where we get.

see what happens... see what its like.

thats not a diss or saying they couldnt do it, but i think it would be rather interesting.

maybe once they got the responsibility they wouldnt want it? who knows...

Yes, keep those niggas down! They all say they want to be treated equally, but what black people really want is someone to tell them what to do!! Dont give them any power, once they get it, they wont know what to do with it....:rolleyes:

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by mapo returns

not that it was handed down by the supreme court

Your political ideas and the president you support make me laugh. Why dont these ungreatful black people all just join the army?

ok mr pres and scrabble are getting off track, and for the record you couldnt find an answer to any of those questions becuase you cant take a whole race into consideration, people are people, everything is situational. not all black people are poor and from the city...as obvious as that may seem, you two were talking about what if this and what if that and 'blacks' and 'whites' think about how fucking broad that is and humble yourself.

kettie, I really dont think this affirmative action is really going to correct a whole lot anyways, if anything it will give an undergrad an unfair advantage with getting into law school.

If somebody is motivated enough, no matter what their race, i beleive they could get into UM without the handicap points. This affirmative action stuff isnt getting poor minorites from th inner city anywhere, because they wouldnt have the merit anyways. So how diverse are we really getting here?

like I said, if you could actually get a career with a highschool diploma you wouldnt need this shit. Nobody should really need to go to college. What the fuck did highschool get you? think about it, the gov requires you to go to some school that doesnt really do anything for you but waste you time and improve yout penmanship.

:lol: okay okay....dont get mad...

i didnt expect anyone to take those last sentences seriously, i wasnt making fun of you. I understand that you are paranoid, but you dont have to come back with some smartass comment...what are you having a bad day or something???

Sorry for saying the word "we"....NO i dont think all black people think alike, i definately know that they arent all poor. I was just talking about how i feel, and i wasnt even really being serious about it...

TO ALL THE RACIST TRASH THAT THINK BEING "WHITE" MAKES YOU "PRIVELEGED." FUCK YOU. GO READ SOMETHING ABOUT REALITY.

Affluent White Americans face McJob reality

Thursday, June 19 2003

By Charles Slaney

A recent article in the organ of aspiring millionaires, Fortune magazine, highlights the obvious outcome of deskilling, downsizing, and shipping jobs overseas. Eventually, even University educated professionals with years of experience can no longer find jobs to match their skills set.

America has a very different job market to Britain. Here, University graduates are now resigned to the idea that a degree does not get them onto a better career structure. This is different in the USA where having education is a still considered a near-guarantee of a well-paid job. Being college-educated is still respected and employers have traditionally expected to put distance between the pay packets of graduate workers and non-graduates.

Ironically, in an ultra-capitalist society where supply-and-demand is king, this rewarding of graduates has continued even with a glut of them in the job market. It's why a million US talk shows love to show the previously abused or deviant guest on their way to 'college', as a way of redemption to a medley of audience whoops, gasps and tears. This simply wouldn't work if the expectation were the new graduate would make six million job applications, give up on a decent future, before returning to the streets to deal drugs or work a deadbeat job.That's a caricature, of course, but sums up the American love of college education as the Holy Grail of social mobility.

Affluent American workers - managers, executives, salesmen - grew up with expectations that hard work would land them good employment and if they struggled a bit here and there they would get a house, car, job wife and support a growing family.

Yet for those made redundant now the future is bleak. The older they are the worse off they are. Thus you have a situation where managers either laid-off in fear of their jobs buy copies of Microsoft Excel 2000 for Dummies from horrifically underemployed shop clerks with Masters degrees who could give said manager a great lesson in how to use Excel. It's a kind of topsy-turvy economy where human resources, inspiration and brainpower stagnate before being flushed away for good.

It used to be the labour intensive manufacturing jobs that were shipped to the Far East or Mexico, now it's brainwork like accountancy, computer programming, technical support, management. According to Fortune, even patients' X-Rays are analysed off-site in the Philippines. American jobs lost through this process are never coming back, however much the economy booms. The jobs that do remain, will be low-grade sales, reception work, and low-grade clerical - a skeletal staff responsible for funnelling information to and from distant colleagues in cheap labour markets.

Although the American press is waking up to what it has dubbed the 'blue-collarization' issue, it's nothing new. Sociologists formed the 'proletarianisation thesis' in the 1980s, describing a process where new 'white collar' jobs were little different to manual jobs of before - repetition, only token promotion, little ownership of the work, poor pay, no autonomy or decision making. The difference now is that the process is present higher in the social food chain.

Given the engrained boot-strap pulling philosophy of the American culture, it seems this growing army of underemployed people will continue making applications, making follow-up phone calls, visiting employment agencies daily, with a chirpy 'no one owes you a job'. Eventually, however, when they're aware of the gravity of their situation in a society where, ultimately, no one gives a toss about them, we'd love to welcome them to the anti-Globalisation movement where I'm sure their insights and experience can be repurposed and put to good use.

say black people got control of the government...

then after time, the white people would be like the black people now, as if the roles changed.

what roles?

african americans don't have it harder than white people. this is such a fucking stupid arguement. they deserve no special treatment.

white people have nothing to be proud of really, no sense in family, no customs or special cultural things... nothing.

what the fuck is that? white people have nothing to be proud of? fucking retarded.

no sense in family? did you ever see the brady bunch, bitch?

seriously, though. i've got stronger ties with my family than anyone i know. and nothing cultural? what the FUCK

have you had your head up your ass the entire time you've been alive? you live in fucking white culture. what do you call real world/road rules?:lol:

oh really?

so what cultural things does your family do? what kind of traditions do you have? what kind of special food do you cook?

please enlighten me. im here all night...

first, am i white?

good arguement. you tried.. i guess?:o

however, you have a black friend. what "cultural traditions" does his family uphold?

Archived