Supreme Court Up Holds Racism

Kettiecat

Originally posted by mr_president

i thought you were white, your mom looked white and so did you in the piks. mexicans do have a lot of culture, i love theirs matter of fact.

my "black friend" has some traditions and culture yes.

for instance this hge family ruenion thing they are doing that im suppost to be going to, they are very close with their family, and its huge, they have that whole soul food sunday thing happening, and so on...

also for culture they have family traditions that have been passed down, different foods, ways of doing things, family members who were former slaves in their past... or family tree or whatever. all that type of stuff plays into their culture.

as for me, im white, we have a super small family, there isnt really anything in our culture to be proud of, i cant really think of one thing we even have culturally...

have you ever been to a white food restraunt? i havent...

been to a mexican food restraunt though.

meaning they have a food thats apart of their culture. we dont.

i dont have any traditions that have been passed down in my family either, except for being white and living a good life and caring about our family and having good morals and stuff, but thats not "white culture" thats just humanity.

so yea, i dont think white people have much culture or traditions. [/QUOT

child-like innocence...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mapo returns

affirmative action is straight bullshit, and so is this decision.

I beg to differ there chap. Affirmative action is a useful tool for correcting institutional Racism. A racism That premotes the if your "white your right, if your brown you can come around, and if your black get to the BACK" ideals.

i was put and kept in the 'higher' classes as a kid; in an all black and poor school in virgini', not becuse i ws smart but because my parents were... White, thats right. I was dumb as fuck, and it didnt make a lick of difference. Im not white, but beleive i would be in the house, not the feilds.

And to top it off Im almost positive i got into college cause of those handy minority points.

so ive been pushed by all sides and i can safely

say racism is alive and well. Plus we have a classic case of classism to boot.

plus we let M&M in to hip hop, so please let us into school. "SANDIMUS HIGH SCHOOL FOOT BALL RULES!!!!!"

Originally posted by test pattern

what "cultural traditions" does his family uphold?

i dont know thats its so much cultural as it is a tradition, but my family and ill all argue naked. Thats right if we get upset and start to argue we get naked, cause how can you be mad at naked dad or mom?

have you ever been to a white food restraunt? i havent...

yes, as a matter of fact, i have. if you've never been to chili's or bennigans, etc. i don't know what's up.

newsflash, son. "white" isn't a race. there's a whole lot that make up the "white" category. as a matter of fact, "white" is just a label for americanized caucasian mutts.

special, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal special.

:spent:

:lol:

(most the time its caucasion) but ive seen them as "white" what are they going to put? "one forth german, some french, etc. etc."

i think you just answered your own questions.

Originally posted by Kettiecat

I would really like for someone to tell me what makes a person "white" and what makes a person "black", because guess what you can't, there are a million exceptions to every thing that you could come up with.

they're broad terms.

you can't come up with absolute answers in philosophy for the most part.

Originally posted by test pattern

they're broad terms.

you can't come up with absolute answers in philosophy for the most part.

good point

and what makes someone hispanic? do one of your parents have to be? How about one just one of your grandparents? One of your great grandparents was hispanic.....are you a minority? What about Italian people who "look" and are thought to be "arabic" surely these people get the racist treatment like no other, especially after 9-11. Do we count them as well? If we count the Italians that look like arabs what about the ones that don't? Where do we draw the line between who looks arabic and who looks white? What if you're a minority (we'll use asian this time) and you were adopted into a "white" household at birth, are you a minority? Should you get specail treatment even though you've had ever advantage that the "white" culture can offer?

Originally posted by TEARZ

damn yo, you really haven't been around people of color in your life, have you?

what the fuck are people of color? I'm blind please define what makes a "person of color".

So far no one can tell me how we determine who is a minority and it seems to me if we want a diverse education we should be able to identify these minorities.

what the fuck are people of color? I'm blind please define what makes a "person of color".

So far no one can tell me how we determine who is a minority and it seems to me if we want a diverse education we should be able to identify these minorities.

your stupid, but i know no one is that stupid

Who falls under caucasian classification? Is there a point system for it somewhere? If you get this many points you are caucasian.... oh you get 20 points right off the bat if you listen to country and 10 more if mommy and daddy have money.

sorry I'm getting bratty. I need to go to bed.

Guest TEARZ

re: what is a person of color

please, you are in no position to play this game; you've already relied on plenty of assumptions (dark skin- a faulty assumption at that) to get where you are... examine yourself and go read some fucking books you lazy ass, don't expect people of color and those in the know to have to teach you.

so the answer to my question is clearly yes, not that it wasn't obvious from jump street. you've never really had to deal with people of color in your life in any meaningful way.

No I'm fucking dead serious, you ask me if I know or grew up with "people of color" but you don't define what you mean by that. Did I grow up in youth homes with people from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds, well then the answer is yes. Did I go to school with students from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds, then the answer is yes.

I made it a point to avoid any racial arguments after mapo burned me out with the that rhetorical bullshit. I must say though, that I think one good way to create a fully equal educational system(besides affirmative action) is to validify, and incorporate the histories and contributions all races have made to our culture and modern society. Then at least a few nonwhite kids can stop feeling like american education is pissing on their face. I mean like teaching about the accomplishments of the asian,african, and american peoples have made along with the Euro stuff we learn, I'd like more than a paragraph a year. It still is good that they uphold some affirmative action, but i would drop that parent alumni bullshit and give points for poverty to even the scale for the po white kiddies as well. I'd also like to note that racism was first used in the US and Europe to keep the poor divided rather than rioting. It was a huge success in the south with poor whites, and it has never truly been taken out of american society.Changes in laws or public policy doesnt annihilate a mindset of bigotry, it just allows for the abuse of ignorance as a scapegoat for prejudice( as demonstrated in this and other threads). Hopefully the global inequities we posess will come to an end in my lifetime, but then again I know a lot of people in the US and Europe would be assed out(of the pale complexion,inside or out). To stop exascerbating the whole race card, Id liike to say that among most conscious people it really isnt about race, either youre a nigga-spic-gook-mick whatever, or youre a cracker, I'd break bread with any poor englishman before any colin powell, if you get me.

when you're young. certain things are enstilled in you, that are very rarely changed...

the way the government defined/re-defined/and now defines minorities etc, will continue to change..

and the way i view a minority is different from anyone else's in here.

basically all that these race names, are to me, are adjectives. but to you, they are whatever you have thought they have been. kettie, why are you asking other people?

when someone says "black" you know what your mind thinks, when someone says "mexican" you know what your mind thinks... it's the same as when someone says "blue" or "green."

all it is, is what YOU make of it...

but hmph. too tired to get started on the entire affirmative action, govt. lets help people out shit...

"my lucky stars a negro!" what fucking movie is that from?

taken from http://www.minorityrights.org/

Who are Minorities?

There is no universally accepted definition of 'minorities', and the word is interpreted differently in different societies. The United Nations (UN) has failed to agree a definition of what constitutes a minority, beyond that implied in the title of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Persons belonging to National or Ethnic, Religious and Linguistic Minorities. Attempting a more precise statement has been fraught with difficulties: in some cases the motivation for a tighter definition has been to deny certain rights to certain peoples.

I don’t have my head in the sand and I don’t believe that the American Educational system is flawless, some people do need help. Some people think that affirmative action is the answer. I believe it is part of the problem.

The Supreme Court shot down the use of a point system in admissions, so my next question is “How do you determine who needs help getting into the elite universities without stereotyping people and trying to fit us all into erroneous categories?” How can a university fairly increase the number of minority students?

Originally posted by Esai

I made it a point to avoid any racial arguments after mapo burned me out with the that rhetorical bullshit. I must say though, that I think one good way to create a fully equal educational system(besides affirmative action) is to validify, and incorporate the histories and contributions all races have made to our culture and modern society. Then at least a few nonwhite kids can stop feeling like american education is pissing on their face. I mean like teaching about the accomplishments of the asian,african, and american peoples have made along with the Euro stuff we learn, I'd like more than a paragraph a year. It still is good that they uphold some affirmative action, but i would drop that parent alumni bullshit and give points for poverty to even the scale for the po white kiddies as well. I'd also like to note that racism was first used in the US and Europe to keep the poor divided rather than rioting. It was a huge success in the south with poor whites, and it has never truly been taken out of american society.Changes in laws or public policy doesnt annihilate a mindset of bigotry, it just allows for the abuse of ignorance as a scapegoat for prejudice( as demonstrated in this and other threads). Hopefully the global inequities we posess will come to an end in my lifetime, but then again I know a lot of people in the US and Europe would be assed out(of the pale complexion,inside or out). To stop exascerbating the whole race card, Id liike to say that among most conscious people it really isnt about race, either youre a nigga-spic-gook-mick whatever, or youre a cracker, I'd break bread with any poor englishman before any colin powell, if you get me.

that was probably the best thing ive ever heard from you esai.....

:idea:

you think this college shit is bad. i cant wait to see what evolves from the BS our wodnerful president's brother has in store for my county's highschools next year.

before we get all wrapped up in our college shit, they should look into helpig out the youngins w/ their educations and then maybe all this shit for colleges would be a little less necessary.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Pistol, Esai, and TEARZ said everything that had to be said. If you don't get it yet, you probably never will. Affirmative action is not a solution, but it's an initiative.

I've been both helped by and shatted on by affirmative action before, and I feel neither glad nor angry in both cases, because I understand the necessity and the reason. Wishing for equal treatment in such early stages of integration (remember, only around for 40 years or so) is ridiculous. Regardless of how idealistically merit-based everything is, a process controlled by mostly whites will NOT be unbiased, and evaluation of merit will NOT be objective. The average white will go before the above-average minority.

Once the playing field is evened, THEN we can aspire to remove affirmative action and have merit-based action put in its place. But with the current prevalent racism, there is no way to get minorities into that playing field unless they're given a hand. We still have a LONG way to go before this evened-out scenario comes to life, so for now, swallow down your irritation at what seems so unjust (I know I have before), and wait patiently for the day your grandchildren may face a better reality.

Tease, minorities couldn't be given control of the government for 5 years and then expect from them wonderful results, because they have not yet been given the full opportunity to prepare themselves for such a task. Whites have enforced superiority for several centuries to get where they are today. To suddenly thrust an oppressed group of people into control is asking for a huge, confused mess. I long for the independence of Puerto Rico, yet I know that at this moment we are uncapable of sustaining ourselves in such a situation because of lack of experience and preparation. Beer,

El Mamerro

One drop Rule

OK FOOLIO HERE IT IS.

in the days of slavery the Whites, who made the convoluted rules that a century later the new generation of whites pertends is over and non-exisitant, created the One drop rule.

The ONE DROP rule of thumb, which clearly stated even ONE drop of non-anglo-saxaphone blood ( meaning ANY other form of blood, negroid, hispanic, what ever, there were acctually less chances for blacks to shag races of all kinds simply do to lack of exposer on a wide scale), means you are a minority.

Archived