MODEL TRAINS

FLESHEATER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

in addition to the advice already given, you can use paint thinner to knock some of the opacity off the logos. OR if you have an airbrush lightly mist the whole car with light grey or light yellow. if no airbrush - use watered down acrylics (white yellow or grey), just dunk the car in it and let it dry. once you have the faded look achieved, then start the weathering. I would also suggest using a prototype photo. you can find just about any car type on this site: http://rrpicturearchives.net/

not the greatest photos but here are a couple of projects recently finished.

turned this:

Sta134.jpg

to this:

GEDC1325.jpg

some others recently completed:

GEDC1323.jpg

GEDC1326.jpg

Diluted india ink washes are good too, as is a product called Dullcote.

With weathering and adding rust, the trick is to add rust where water would naturally collect and drip down.

For example, with zed's model here (niiice work, by the way) he added rust effects under the top runners where water would pool and dip down.

GEDC1325.jpg

Seams and joints, bolted or welded, always rust first.

For an quick rust job I always mixed brown/orange/red sharpies. Later the darkest color on first and then the lighter of the two. And leave a little space for the lighter color to shine on its own.

thanks injury & EAD. the model rr nerds always reccomend using a prototype, but ive been up close and personal with more REAL freights than the average model railroader. i can just close my eyes and see tons of prototypes. like injury pointed out, the key is consistency. rust, grime etc should be carefully placed where rust would accumulate the heaviest. i like the sharpie idea. there are so many hundreds of methods. im partial to oils, acrylics and powders for rust, mainly because it gives the rust texture. be sure to dullcote also. this will seal your weathering in place. the best thing to do is collect as much cheap second hand model rr equipment you can afford and get your hands on and practice on that before you go to work on the real deal. here is a rust tutorial using felt water color markers. simple but very slick.

http://www.westportterminal.de/weathering.html#pens

also - dont hesitate to share fliks here: the forum for the writer turned model railroader.

http://gwrxr.proboards.com/index.cgi?

the balsa wood joints are too sick. We displayed a few of them in a show a couple of years ago. shits are so slick...

• Like 1

EDIT: weird, I couldn't see all the previous reply posts before I made this reply post ...

good advise

first weathering job ive done. crits please.

th_weathered.jpg

I agree that it's too heavy

when you wipe it off use a damp cotton rag or paper towel, and remove slowly

this will leave some of the color in the crevasses and nooks of the car's molded in details

this is called a wash and is applied extremely thinned, almost 10 to 1, reducer to pigment

the best washes are achieved with oil color or enamels, but if all you have is water color or acrylic, then thin with alcohol + a drop or two of liquid dish soap

the dish soap helps with the flow

It looks like the original color was yellow so this wash should be a brown to dark gray spectrum

also cut out a piece of masking tape to cover the LUBE / BUILT DATE placard, the little black box, so you won't have to buy/find decals for it later

hope this helps and please post photos of progress, I'm interested in seeing your work

true, that's a great site for weathering trains. I just can't pay for it

frsh262, that's looking better and better photography too

edit: Holy Crap! they opened the forums back up to public

thanks man. i think im gonna try using some paint thinner to weather the logos a little bit and get a bit more orange on it.

Lance Midheim lives pretty close to me, actually - within an hour.

He used to be N scale but the link y'all posted looks far bigger and better than N.

He is an incredible modeler though.

His old layout was in Model Railroader a few times, it was an N scale representation of the Soo Line in southern indiana.

Nerd points +1000000

• 2 weeks later...