The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I never really shoot with flash, so that'll be my first foray into really fucking with lighting. I'm mainly attracted to it because of the wireless slave ability, I get all kinds of ideas thinking about that shit. Plus I want to get more into shooting events/etc. to try to earn some dough.

So, I've finally decided to go back to school. I'm currently looking at 4 schools: Harrington College of Design in Chicago, Colorado Mountain College, Hallmark in rural Mass, and New England School of Photography in Boston. Right now I'm leaning towards Harrington, a big part of that being that it's in Chicago and I was raised a Cubs fan and love the city.

Anyone heard/know anything about any of these schools reputations or anything of the sort?

I looked into Hallmark when I was in high school, but then I remembered I didn't have any money, ha. I don't know a whole lot about the other schools, but Hallmark has a pretty good reputation from what I've heard. Also, New England can be pretty beautiful in the fall. Really lends itself to some great photography.

$0.02

I'm using a 1.8 now, I tried my friends 1.4 and didn't like it.

Basically with both of those lenses the auto focus is flawless in good light.

As soon as you need the wide aperture because of low light the auto focus isn't any good.

Everything I shoot with it in dark or low light, is using manual and I found the 1.4 to be too wide.

You'll miss most of your shots if you rely on auto focus in the dark.

Even for you're eyes getting the perfect focus in the dark is tough.

^^sick!

i think i agree with you guys about not getting a kit lens. I have a question though, if i by a separate lens, how does autofocus work? do i need to buy the same brand lens and cam? are all lens hook ups universal?

should i just shop online, or anyone have any stores in LA they know and like?

i just upgraded to the 50 1.4 from the 1.8 yesterday. havent had a whole lot of time to shoot with it, but i feel like it is much sharper and cleaner than the 1.8 and they both suck equally at auto focusing in low light but at least you can go lower if you want. im much happier already with the 1.4.

I hate auto focus. But, to be fair, most of the auto focus lenses I've used had really shitty focusing rings, so it was a lot easier to use auto focus.

Lower aperture lenses are awesome. I'd kill for a minolta 1.2 lens.

I was hoping to process some rolls this week, but I didn't have enough time. Hopefully next week I can process and drop them off to be scanned. Vermont finally had a huge snow storm and I think I got some nice snowy pictures. Used the wide angle mostly though.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

typically i have to work in an upbeat/uncontrolled and dynamic environment so that focusing should be the least of my worries.

the autofocus is pretty good on most nikkor lenses although the autofocus on my 2.8f 300mm is SPECTACULAR beyond belief.