The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

how do you like that tokina? ive been thinking of a good fisheye but haven really found anything yet. do you know of anything better? or cheaper? :D

I love the Tokina lens. It takes great photos. The main reason I bought it was that it's not a prime lens, but a 10-17 zoom.

I've tried the Nikkor 10.5mm prime and it was nice, but you only have one focal length.

I'm sure there are plenty of other lenses out there that cost less, but you're going to be sacraficing lens quality with price.

5-23-07c.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

sorry, one more time... and it wouldnt let me post this as one piece for some reason, so i had to split it up into three posts. bear with me.

im reading everything i can, but nothing seems to be flat out telling me what to do, which is frustrating and annoying. they're all so concerned with being PC and explaining features i dont care about, that i cant read through the jargon to understand what really means what.

rage (or anyone) please answer these questions for me and tell me what to do.

-is the D80 worth the extra $200/300 over a D40x?

-is the D40x worth the extra $200 over the D40 (6 vs. 10mp)

-pentax K10D vs D80?

-from everything ive read, with the D40/x, all the controls are on the back of the camera and accessed through menus that are kind of tedious. that annoys me. then again, i dont plan to use a whole lot of settings, so maybe it wont matter?

-i cant really figure out what the D80 has that the D40x doesnt, other than a little bigger body and the ability to auto focus with any lens. i could really give a shit about auto focusing, so that's a non issue to me. also, i know it has more features accessible through buttons, which i think i like (even though i dont like functions).

-i have some pentax lenses, and i like that it has anti shake built into the body. this makes me like it. is there any reason i shouldnt?

-i will never use it in a studio, with remote flashes, or on the moon. im gonna take pictures of abandoned stuff, flowers, trees, rocks and shit. not literal shit, shit as in 'etc'.

basically, im not a professional photographer and i have no intention of being one. if the d40x will be sufficent, then im totally fine with that, but if there are features that the k10d or d80 have that you think i'll need, lemme know. money isnt an issue, but i dont want to spend more than i need to, just to get a bunch of features that i'll never use. id rather spend the money on a lens or cocaine or a designer kitten like toyger.

sorry about having this discussion twice, ive just spent the last few days scouring sites and im finding a ton of reviews, but no solid straight up answers.

-is the D80 worth the extra $200/300 over a D40x?

-is the D40x worth the extra $200 over the D40 (6 vs. 10mp)

-pentax K10D vs D80?

1) If you're looking for less features as you've been saying then there is no need for you to spend the extra money on a higher model. You're just going to get more menu controls.

2) You really only need to worry about megapixels and resolution if you're shooting with the intent of printing, often times large. If your output is going to be say a 16x20 print, then your input should indeed be a larger resolution, and most likely in RAW format. The same goes with upgrading to the D80.

3) Again, I'm not too familiar with the Pentax, but from what I gathered in the side by side search on dpreview the best bet is the Pentax is a pretty decent deal. For it's price and options, it seems to be what you're looking for. It has image stabalization for your drunken ways. The price is way less than the D80. The only thing you really comprimise is megapixels. You're only getting 6 instead of 10. Again, see number 2 for that whole statement.

I'm also not sure what the lenses are like for the Pentax camera bodies either. If you want me to look up some shit on that, just let me know.

° I would say in the end go with either the D40x or K100D.

I think the D80 is way too far out of your range. Especailly for what you want to shoot. The lower range DSLR's are perfect for you. You have just enough prior knowledge of SLR cameras, but don't want all the bells and whistles of an advanced DSLR.

P.S. Russian Circles are fucking amazing.

grrr....it wont let me post lengthy nonsense. i think its trying to tell me something...

actually, i was looking at the k10d, not the 100. k10d is the 10mp upgrade, which, from everything ive read, seems to be a step above the d80 for the same price (if not a little cheaper).

i definitely want to go with 10mp. i have no immediate plans for printing at large sizes, but i want the option. also, as stupid as it is, the ide of having to say 'naw, it's just 6', when you can get 10mp point and shoots for $300 bums me out.

ive pretty much narrowed it down to d40x, or k10d. d80 is still an option, but k10d just seems like a better camera for same price, so why bother?

cont...

D40x pros.

$800 off ebay, with lens, wide angle adaptor (i know they're cheap, but will work for most my applications), tripod, 4gb memory, hard and soft case, other nonsese.

small and light.

cons

seems too cheap to be this good.

lack of easy access function buttons.

no top lcd screen, which bothers me, although im not sure why.

anti shake and auto focus is built into lens, which means if i want either feature, i have to buy priority lenses built with them. mucho dinero.

k10d pros

anti shake in camera, so even my old ass lenses can use it.

lcd on top. again, not a big deal, but something.

more controls that dont require a bunch of menu> > > > to acess them.

i have a whole bag of pentax lenses and a couple flashes.

cons

$300 more

having pentax lenses doesnt really matter i guess. i could sell them all and get one nice 55-200mm nikon lens and be perfectly happy.

sorry, i know im being a little redundent at this point. i just get kind of obsessive about shit. i want to like the d40x, it just seems like there has to be some big drawback that im not noticing. i wish dpreview had a full review of it.

D40x pros.

$800 off ebay, with lens, wide angle adaptor (i know they're cheap, but will work for most my applications), tripod, 4gb memory, hard and soft case, other nonsese.

small and light.

cons

seems too cheap to be this good.

lack of easy access function buttons.

no top lcd screen, which bothers me, although im not sure why.

anti shake and auto focus is built into lens, which means if i want either feature, i have to buy priority lenses built with them. mucho dinero.

k10d pros

anti shake in camera, so even my old ass lenses can use it.

lcd on top. again, not a big deal, but something.

more controls that dont require a bunch of menu> > > > to acess them.

i have a whole bag of pentax lenses and a couple flashes.

cons

$300 more

I don't know about the whole anti shake. I shoot with a Pentax *istDS and have quite afew old lenses from my k1000 and haven't had much a problem as far as shakes go. I have upgraded since then.. Pentax has some amazing glass even some of the legacy lenses.. Some basic lenses for Pentax run far less expensive than Nikon lenses as well.

Why is the anti-shake so important to you.? Are you planning on shooting hand held with slow shutter speeds often? I bring my tripod 90% of the time even if it is an extra 6lbs its worth it. Especially if you plan on going into abandoned buildings using just available light.

Dust removal is another pro for the K10d over the 40x

decaying - that 4 shot set you posted is crazy. good work.

fpo- that newsstand shot is bang.

seeks - just buy something and get back in this thread like it was 4 years ago. but i would recommend the pentax only because i want to buy it. but my pop duke just got a nikon d80 with an 18 to 135 lens which is crisp as fuck. so maybe nikon. regardless all cameras work well enough.

maybe some pics in a few because i am drinking in front of the computerface.

*also, decayer, i would definitely be down to trade prints.

i must warn you i am a slacker though.

after browsing ebay i came up on this it's only $200 more than the d40x, and as far as i can tell, a way better camera. my lack of patience should get the better of me by tomorrow im sure, and it'll be ordered.

thanks for your help. if there are any last words, speak them now.

seeks/i cant wait for transformers. shit is gonna be sick.