The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i havent shot with slide film that much... but from what ive heard its real touchy... the colors are more vibrant and you can blow stuff up bigger with higher quality... but its easy to underexpose or over expose... if youre having trouble organizing negatives how would slides be any better??

slide film costs more to process last time i checked... and it has to be sent away unless you go to a real deal processing place..

Originally posted by onesecondple@Apr 18 2005, 08:52 AM

how many of you shoot slides? im realy gettin tired of organizing negatives and thinking imma shoot slides only, do you think its worth it? i really like the slide idea. Any feedback, pro's, cons?

slides are nice, however they are expensive. I shoot 99% of my photos in digital now, just because it is cost effective, I don't have to buy film or slides. I can shoot as much as I like & re-size my images to any image size depending on the print resolution. plus I don't have to mess around with the processing chemicals. peace zombie

ive shot a few rolls of slide and had good results. fuji velvia is pretty good. the only con i think of to slide film is that agfa is the only company that makes b&w slide film. i think its processed differently too. E6 on 10th st. in ATL processes at a reasonable price.

onesecondple, i've shot a couple rolls of slide film (expired), and not had that much luck with it for night stuff, most stuff was extremely underexposed. the other thing is, expired slide film from what i can remember starts to tint everything blue, and from my experience that's true.

i have a lot of rolls left so i hope to eventually shoot more day photos with it. my advice: make sure it's not expired :p

and simply to whore this, i've started my own photoblog finally, http://www.stolentype.org/

check it out

I told ya I was going a couple of weeks ago, was gonna IM you but I didn't see you online before I left. When I got there I realized I shoulda PM'd you my cell when I was there, doh. I went and saw Evilenko at the Ritz East theater as part of the Philly Film Fest, was a pretty good but disturbing movie. I was only down there for 2 nights... :/

Originally posted by onesecondple@Apr 18 2005, 08:52 AM

how many of you shoot slides? im realy gettin tired of organizing negatives and thinking imma shoot slides only, do you think its worth it? i really like the slide idea. Any feedback, pro's, cons?

I've shot one roll of 100 speed slide film and one roll of 50. First off, its not going to be any easier to organize, so if thats your reasoning for shooting it, don't. The downside to slide film is as far as i know it only comes in really slow speeds, so you need either reletively bright light or a tripod. It actually worked well for me for night time shots, provided i used a tripod. I love the colors you get from slide film in comparison to normal color film, and if i'm shooting color it will definitely be slide, even if i have to carry a tripod.

Slide film isn't going to make your photography amazing, but it might help make your colors more vibrant. Personal recomendation any time you're working with a new type of film: bracket your shots. Take one photo with the light meter right in the middle, one with it a little lower, one with it a little higher. If you really want the best results, do four or five shots. This way you can see how you should be shooting various types of shots with this type of film and you can figure out the techniques to use to get the best colors, level of exposure, overall photo, etc.

Also, to whoever was saying slide film is expensive to process, both times i've had it done it was like $12 for a 36 roll. Now, granted, i don't shoot normal color film very often, but that doesn't seem too expensive to me. Although i guess you aren't getting prints.

PS: No offense fermentor, this goes for everyone: long exposures while moving your camera are kind of fun when you're just messing around with a digi, but they are not pleasing to look at.

I also think i stayed in that same hotel when i was in philly. Weird.

Originally posted by MrChupacabra+Apr 19 2005, 09:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChupacabra - Apr 19 2005, 09:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-onesecondple@Apr 18 2005, 08:52 AM

PS: No offense fermentor, this goes for everyone: long exposures while moving your camera are kind of fun when you're just messing around with a digi, but they are not pleasing to look at.

I also think i stayed in that same hotel when i was in philly. Weird.

[/b]

SEZ YOU!!~ Personally, I love 'em. But I definitly see the newbie factor in them as well and I see where you are coming from. What I did for some of them was set the exposure to 8 seconds, take the picture and wait about 3-4 seconds, then put my hand over the lens and swing the camara around to another point and remove my hand to try get a ghost image effect. Didn't work that well but I still think they're pretty interesting to look at.

The hotel was the Wyndsor. The room was nice, but the bed was hard as rocks and the hotel itself was pretty bootleg, despite it being in such a nice part of Philly.

so after calling and/or visiting 10 different camera stores I finally tracked down some polaroid 669 packfilm for the camera. all they had were twinpacks and it was 46 FUCKING DOLLARS. but I had no choice. I cant believe how fucking expensive that shit is. for 20 lousy exposures. anyhow, should have everything done and ready to be mailed back by friday.

i guess i worded that wrong, the negatives comment didnt have much to do with the slide thing

the cost of processing and the cost of the film is not a big issue for me, because i get it for free as is

i do shoot 99% digi now anyway, and am about to buy a 350d or a 20d canon, but i just thought i would fuck around with slide film for a while, see how it went, that was all, so i guess i just wanted to know experience views on it

well the last time I shot slide was in my 1st college course for photography in 96 & it was fun, we developed the slides & they were great. but I lost them.. that sucks they were awesome photos?? oh well shit happens!!

anyways I own a nikon D70 & shot with a nikon D2H at work..

but I want to buy a nikon D2X sometime soon in the future if i can find a way to scrape up an extra $5,000 for the camera body. laterz zombie