Alphabattle E

Guest Zee_Zee

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by -->Def$tar!

YOU SERIOUS?

hahah if so you guys wouldnt know good graffiti if it jumped up and kicked you in the ass...

no offence his letter is ok but ,for real you guys dont seem to understand that underneath any good letter there is a strong foundation, a spine if you will.

If the "spine" or form of the letter is not good then the letter is shit, camoflaging it with prettycolours or random spikes and shit will not hide this fact!

Im not implying that I am the mutherfucker of all good letters but there has not been anything so far that constiitues a really def letter.

wow..i never thought of it like that..:rolleyes:hmm...

"this lad has some style and yet retains a strong letter structure..thats what graffiti is about"

First I dont think anyone can define graffiti.

Second that letter is so bare bones it doesn't cut it.

It looks good for a start, but there's many more steps

to go before it's worth submitting. I mean look at it...

there's an unfinished line on every side of the thing.

Sure it shows the structure, but there's so much more to do.

It's not a terribly original shape or even a recognized form

stretched to new levels (like daze and epik). I'm not hating,

but it's unfinished. It's like calling this a great piece.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

"this lad has some style and yet retains a strong letter structure..thats what graffiti is about"

First I dont think anyone can define graffiti.

Second that letter is so bare bones it doesn't cut it.

It looks good for a start, but there's many more steps

to go before it's worth submitting. I mean look at it...

there's an unfinished line on every side of the thing.

Sure it shows the structure, but there's so much more to do.

It's not a terribly original shape or even a recognized form

stretched to new levels (like daze and epik). I'm not hating,

but it's unfinished. It's like calling this a great piece.

1. I disagree , I beleive graffiti can be very clearly defined , dont take this personaly but, the more people recognize this , as it is a complex issue, the further graffiti can be pushed.

That is another issue that i would be glad to explain but not here and now.

2. yeah My idea of a letter battle is about shape and form, That seems the most importatnt element to me, we all know he will use a 3d or shadow or another of graffiti's conventions, so use your knoledge as a writer to see past these common elements and appreciate good structure.

3. Not to discredit Daze what so ever, I like his work, I do not feel he has a handle on letterforms either, he tends to push letters into the same shape reguardless of form. When I see his letters I am thinking he is more interseted in an overall aesthetic than doing the actall letter justice.

*daze please take this as constructive critisism , not a diss, I am stating my opinion for the sake of this argument, outside of this context I would give you nothing but props.

"form over function" is a saying used in many design circles and can be applied to graffiti directly, in that , your job as a writer is to write letters ,first and foremost, if this is too limiting then why do hip hop graffiti when you could be painting any deisgn on your chosen surface?

In my opinion there are alot of people in graffiti that are unaware of the significance of their actions and the job they have chosen to perform.

Thats all for now.

:cool:

^ no diss taken

you nailed it on the nose with me though for real..im more about the overall look of the letter rather than conventional structure....i like to stretch and bend my letters in ways that go against the norm, but try to keep it the same letter...no doubt i take your critisim as constructive..thats a big reason why i post..i want to interpret opinion see what i can do to become better:cool:

Originally posted by cam

well said,

if only i could put it into practise

http://www.fatcap.co.uk/host/files/E.jpg'>

cheers

To be honest, this is a very good in terms of crispness of lines and subtelty of style, but I dont really see where the letter is going structurally, some parts of it make my eye confused like the little loop on the bottom of it near the lowest bar of the E. You have the mechanics of what could really be a nice style with a few hitches, besides that, I guess we'll have to see it finished to know...

You know what guys... we are in agreement about what defines a solid letter.

And we are also in agreement that 1000 aarows and 15 shades of blue

do not make a weak letterform strong. BUT I think you picked

a bad example to use. I dont think that CAM's letter is all that hot

(no offence) and if daze toned down his 'flairs' I'm sure we'd see a basic

shape that absolutely kills the one above.

And due to the unfinished nature of the 'E' we're all talking about,

you need to ask yourself "Will it get stronger as it's finished, or will

it faulter and need aarows and blue tones to make up for the style?"

ok where to start.

first thanks for the kind words defstar and others.

second, yep that letter is plain as a muthafucka and i don't care. Tear it to bits guys, i'm not proud. The arrow on the back is random crap, it's unfinished, about 4 or 5 strokes fade off into nowhere, and there is some dumb-shit square on the top that does nothing.

But like defstar said. . .all i would do to finish that is close up some lines, chuck a 3d or drop shadow on, and put some colours in and a fancy keyline or some shit.

As it stands ive only ever coloured a few sketches of mine, and it helps me. If my letters aren't good just plain like that with no finish, then no amount of finish will ever make the letters any better, as has been said. But, that's why I only ever sketch black and white.

Kilo, as far as the shape goes, I've always thought my E's were pretty original, I've never seen a strictly similar structure, but im ready to be proved wrong so shoot. I only want to make it better.

And for Daze, all the same stuff that defstar said bro. I love seeing your pieces, but you are almost the opposite to me in approach to letters. You seem to approach the structure of the entire piece and make the letters fit that structure, whereas I go straight for each letter and make the piece fit them, though I am getting better at moulding the two. And just to make it interesting, every sketch Ive seen by you has been inked or coloured in some way :D

Kilo, I tend to disagree with your last comment about Daze. I'm not gonna get into a verbal war here, but many times I've looked at a Daze piece and gone "fuck that's hot", only to break it down to its letters and completely change my opinion. Sorry to get raw Daze, but this is not meant to offend you, and you seem like the kinda cat who wouldn't try to get all flash on me.

Anyway I'm suprised people responded strongly to my submission, both positively and negatively, and I'm happy either way. As it stands, I think it's hard to do a single letter battle and finish it up completely, cos often the letter structures complement eachother (though each and every one of them should still rock).

By the way, that Joker sketch by Daze in the admins' names thread shows some mad improvements. I reckon you're just about to prove me wrong mate.

And Kilo, no offense taken. I think if i finished that letter it would probably weaken it. I don't think it's one of my better attempts either, and if it doesn't start strong it sure as hell wont finish so.

Originally posted by cam

And for Daze, all the same stuff that defstar said bro. I love seeing your pieces, but you are almost the opposite to me in approach to letters. You seem to approach the structure of the entire piece and make the letters fit that structure, whereas I go straight for each letter and make the piece fit them... And just to make it interesting, every sketch Ive seen by you has been inked or coloured in some way :D

... many times I've looked at a Daze piece and gone "fuck that's hot", only to break it down to its letters and completely change my opinion. Sorry to get raw Daze, but this is not meant to offend you, and you seem like the kinda cat who wouldn't try to get all flash on me.

... As it stands, I think it's hard to do a single letter battle and finish it up completely, cos often the letter structures complement eachother (though each and every one of them should still rock).

again no diss taken...i take all critism as just that, critism..so no sweat :cool:

for me always inkin my submissions its because i feel that if i dont its incomplete...im sort of a perfectionist...if you were to get a hold of my black book you wouldnt see one black and white anything in it...i dont even like to have the background white, ill always do a little something, another reason is because my letter structures are not exactly the "norm" and it helps people see the letter better

and thanks bout the comment on the joker outline ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived