horsepower upgrades on imports?

Guest mopius

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ferris Bueller

and nothing sounds cooler than a turbo when you're building up boost in high rpm's...

hmmmmmmmmmttttttttttttsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....squiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssh

I can attest to that shit. I just got my ish dynoed oct. 5th. I was pleased of the outcome with what little mods i have..

stock T25 turbo, HKS Super Sequential BOV, Crap Intake, 3" exhaust (no cat), Jim Wolfe Technology reprogrammed ECU. 7psi is stock boost. I can't go any lower than that. My a/f was getting a little toward lean at higher rpms. Next mod is Walbro fuel pump $110 because my stock 1.6 liter fuel pump obviously isn't helping the 2.0L turbo motor.

http://www.conopium.com/misc/dyno1.jpg'>

Thoughts on this Ferris? I'm waiting to see what I will run with new stuff on it later this weekend. Before I got some of this stuff, I hit 13.909 @ 102 mph on 175-70R-13 street tires.

http://www.conopium.com/misc/sideview.jpg'>

(the car)

Originally posted by fr8oholic

what does that car weigh in at opium?

according to www.carpoint.msn.com it weighs in at 2,368lbs. Its the XE version of the sentra. It probably weighs in at a little more because of the heavier engine and all that now.

Originally posted by unibomber!

Who makes turbo manifolds for that car ? also you shold think about upsizing injectors and an fmu

Well i don't know about upgrading the injectors because no one really knows what the jdm injectors put out anyways... well for sure anyways. Anyone can guess, but i'm going to get them sonic cleaned and tested for flow at the same time. I believe that FMAX makes manifolds for the motor. The manifold that I have came with the motor.

ferris... like fr80 says, both of those engines are fucking dope. i've driven both of them pretty extensively now... i settled on the new vr6 with 200hp. the 1.8 is more "highly tunable" as dudes like to say... meaning really, that a lot can be done to it fairly cheaply to give you more power. there are certain chips available for that car which are supposed to eliminate it's weak off the line performance and add up to 40 horses. i don't know about all that... but, it's a fun engine. you feel the pop when the turbo kicks really well, but it only happens around 3700rpm or so... people must be tearing up that 1.8t engine with what i've seen them doing to it...

the vr6 obviously has more low end torque and i like it for everyday driving, even though mine is a 6 speed. i haven't run at the track or anything, but supposedly GTIs (the new vr6es)are running low 14s stock. obviously if you turbo the vr6 the shit will absolutely crush, which is why i'm so intrigued by fr8o's ride...

speaking of which... FR8o, i assume you're chipped? what do you know about chips? based on what i've seen the GIAC looks good, but i'm short on loot and a little concerned about voiding my warantee. but i like the sound of 15 more hp and 4 more miles per gallon.

GIAC all the way. i'm forced to use their software regardless because i'm running an ATP kit. if i had a 1.8t i'f prolly do the APR chip just to have the EMCS options. i've read the APR chip's got more torque and the GIAC chip's got more hp. either way they're very close.

all in all the 1.8t is super fun. i've driven one for months before getting the 12 valve vr6. the torque alone from the chip is fucking silly. strap on a downpipe/catback and a drop in filter and it's a whole new car. with that setup and more you'll be walking modded vr6's.

it basically comes down to what you're looking for in the end. if you're going to run a turbo upgrade it might make sense to run the vr6 if you want big power. these cars aren't very race track friendly if you're pushing 300hp plus but on the highway you can shit on just about anything. i've seen guys dusting porsches and worked vettes with these cars with the proper setup.

Originally posted by TEARZ

FR8o, i assume you're chipped? what do you know about chips? based on what i've seen the GIAC looks good, but i'm short on loot and a little concerned about voiding my warantee. but i like the sound of 15 more hp and 4 more miles per gallon.

that's your call. the chip's going to add some top end and make the throttle response nicer. with the basic performace upgrades it can be a fun car. i've read a little about a z-engineering supercharger but it's not finalized and/or completed for your engine. that's an option but unfortunately you've got a few years to wait for tuners to debut the forced induction systems. another thing that sucks is even if they are out you'll pay top dollar to pay back all the R&D they blew. DSM turbo kits are dirt cheap just because it's all been developed and competition can get the prices down.

good call on the vr6. there's nothing like the sound of one at wide open throttle. it's even nicer when the blow off valve pssshhhtt's...

:D

oh man... it does sound sooo good wide open...

i love the vr6 for all around driving; power at all times. i don't really feel the need to mod the engine right now... it's got plenty of power for what i want right now- i don't really get too caught up on the drag stuff, because wv's certainly aren't the best track platform. i just want a nice performance car that looks good and can handle real well. as such i'm looking more into suspension and sway bars and shit right now... unsure on doing coilovers or what... a friend just got the eibach springs and claims it did a lot... what are you running down there? it may make the most sense to do suspension and sway bars all in one shot... chip somewhere down the line, giac, and maybe an oettinger front lip and 337 skirts come spring... :) spoiler is on the way...

you down with djds? :)

am i misunderstanding your post about only running 7lbs of boost? if not what are you normally peaking at and holding at?

Yeah, I always run 7psi. I've uped it to as much as 10 before, but only for a short period of time because I detonated 3 out of 4 spark plugs when I was racing a WS-6 firebird on the freeway. I had him beat until I shifted into 5th and it wouldn't get past 5,000rpm. I didn't realize what happened until I limped the car home. I told the guy I hit my speed limiter because he didn't understand how I was whoopin his ass and then all the sudden he passes me. So ever since then its 7psi only, plus the introduction of some new denso plugs with a wicked cool spark. And now that i have it dynoed, i'm glad I am because i don't want to think about the consequences if I kept running it that lean! I ran that 1/4 time on 7psi as well. I didn't have a boost controller (manual) until about 2 months ago. Hopefully when I race it this week, I'll get some traction first, and then run a 13.6. I would be happy with that, but I think realistically i'll be hitting a 13.8 or 9 again. I'll post my slip after I race it if i break 13's again. Getting traction on 175 width tires is a tricky thing to do.

tearz, i went with coilovers. they're ht and dampening adjustable. it was the first mod on the mkiv. add a rear sway bar and you've got some very good handling. look for group buys on vortex, that's how i cashed in. i got $600 bucks off a set that ran for $1500 normally.

ferris, you can check this url http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0111ec_exhaust/ for exhaust reviews on the 1.8t. i'm running a milltek right now and it's fucking dope. it's on the quiet side but it's fucking mean when you're on it. stainless steel w/ lifetime guarantee to boot.

Originally posted by OPIUM3

Yeah, I always run 7psi. I've uped it to as much as 10 before, but only for a short period of time because I detonated 3 out of 4 spark plugs when I was racing a WS-6 firebird on the freeway. I had him beat until I shifted into 5th and it wouldn't get past 5,000rpm. I didn't realize what happened until I limped the car home. I told the guy I hit my speed limiter because he didn't understand how I was whoopin his ass and then all the sudden he passes me. So ever since then its 7psi only, plus the introduction of some new denso plugs with a wicked cool spark. And now that i have it dynoed, i'm glad I am because i don't want to think about the consequences if I kept running it that lean! I ran that 1/4 time on 7psi as well. I didn't have a boost controller (manual) until about 2 months ago. Hopefully when I race it this week, I'll get some traction first, and then run a 13.6. I would be happy with that, but I think realistically i'll be hitting a 13.8 or 9 again. I'll post my slip after I race it if i break 13's again. Getting traction on 175 width tires is a tricky thing to do.

13.6 is pretty fucking good. you thinking about a turbo upgrade? differential?

im more ricey, but ill list what my car has...aps? muffler or somthing like that...alumium wing, not on yet tho...doesnt look as corny as u think it would..homemade front grille, homemade projector headlights(kinda)

12in 1000 watt sub xplod 760 watt amp..rockford 6.5 in the cab pioneer head unit...

waiting ot be put on, warm ait intake..for the winter.

coil covers.

thats about it for my altima....not really worth it for me too put too much into..its auto :(

Originally posted by OPIUM3

so is youre engine all fuced up? is that why when you boost more you only fire up 3 out of 4? please explain more. and its a WS-6 trans-am. the fire bird is called a formula.(i think)

13.6 is pretty fucking good. you thinking about a turbo upgrade? differential?

Well the transmisson that i have is from an NX2000, and it comes with stock VLSD. So I'm good there. As for a turbo upgrade, I dont see one in the near future. It would be nice, but... I don't exactly have the ends for that kind of thing. If I was to get a new turbo, it would definently be the T3/T04E. That is one sick ass turbo. But getting that turbo, would require me to get a new manifold and external wastegate. Thats some serious ends right there.

http://www.conopium.com/misc/turbo+manifold.jpg'>

so is youre engine all fuced up? is that why when you boost more you only fire up 3 out of 4?

no, my engine is perfectly fine. If you check back on my dyno sheet that I posted, you can see that I have some pretty smooth hp and torque curves. After I got a cooler spark in my spark plugs, I don't have to worry anymore. I can boost to 10 or 14 psi still, just not without added fuel to the mixture. I was having a greedy time, and risked everything by boosting into very lean. Now, I realize my stupidity, and won't be doing that again until fuel is upgraded. So for all you kiddies out there that have a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous, make sure you choose cool spark plugs. Other wise the plugs go boooooom!

Archived