Your experiences in recording studios

Some1

I have been in the studio before recorded a 5 song demo when my band was together for about 6 months and have done many home recordings with them as well. Friday and today we went to a great recording studio that many big known bands come to to do radio spots and acoustic shows for a 106.9 WCCC Alterbridge was just there the monday before we went in the first time. We wanted to get one song out bought a 8 hour block and tracked everything did some vocals and some solos and ran out of time went back monday and hit everything mastered it all and it sounds great. 1000$ well spent i would say.

Anyways i just would like to know about other peoples experiences recording how long it took what kinds of things did you have to do.

I am in the band TENET rock and roll from the hartford CT area we play bars and shit all the time. check us out www.tenetmusic.com

our new recording isnt up yet but a sample will be soon. we have definatly come very far just by comparing the two studio recordings.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My old band recorded a Demo at a well known studio for Hardcore/Metal music. It took us like 6 hours, because we had no money and it was just a 4 song demo. Did all the music live and the vocals and the backups seperate. Fun times.

We also were invited to egt recorded by a kid we knew who was going to a technical school and for a project needed to record a band, so we recorded everything we ever played/covered. I believe we took like 2 weeks to record everything, kind of sucks, I never got to ehar any of it. Our dickhead sinegr still has the DAT tape, and won't give up it. Piece of shit.

I'm about to go to the studio by this next weekend to record a track called "I saw you-take it personal"....I have to go finish the over-dubs and the chorus.....the song is pretty funny--it's about the "foodcourt gangsters" and the hoodrat chicks that jock them.....I'll probably send a copy to E-threads when it's done.

my ex girl's dad has a studio set up in his basement. he used to do live recordings of my band to dat tapes and we burned em strait to cd. it was a pretty damn good sound for basement live recording. he had a board for compression and all that shit (i don't know the technicalities) and he used a tube mic and some kinda pre amp shit. man we had some great times, and some shitty times down there. too bad the bitch dumped me a couple days ago. at least i got a 6 track demo knocked out before she booted me. what sucks is that her dad was gonna be getting a vinyl pressing setup so we coulda pressed vinyl!! fuck fuck fuckin fuck.

my fucking amp is still there and a few of my lp's, and my 300 dollar sewing machine...i don't even wanna go there to get them cause if i look at her i might strangle her...or break down. i don't know. love sucks...fucking blah.

sorry i drifted off topic. :o

Originally posted by 455

I'm about to go to the studio by this next weekend to record a track called "I saw you-take it personal"....I have to go finish the over-dubs and the chorus.....the song is pretty funny--it's about the "foodcourt gangsters" and the hoodrat chicks that jock them.....I'll probably send a copy to E-threads when it's done.

please do. I am itching to hear it... its damn funny to go to the mall these days. I tell you I dont remember flexing at the food court. But then again I was a skater/metalhead...

I'm going to a friends house on friday to put vocals on a track, it's otherwise finished. I was going to put bass overdubs, but I couldn't think of any it needed.

I've recorded in an actual studio before, but the money situation just doesn't allow for that now... Funny how much more disposable income I had when I was younger....

Originally posted by Mr. Peanut

too bad the bitch dumped me a couple days ago. at least i got a 6 track demo knocked out before she booted me.

love sucks...

Lucky you got out with that and i agree with the love thing..

I play drums i got my track done in like 9 takes. and it is solid. i love being underpressure like that its so much differnt from playing live where i am free to improv on whatever.

studios get expensive we paid 500$ a 8 hour block. two days got one song done. hopefully we can get recognized with a label with the recording we have....any of you guys know a good label by any chance...

Guest mikro137

i ran a recording studio with one of my good homies when i was in highschool , it was fun , but we got beat on a ton of money.

i've recorded three albums, each time in different studios with different engineers. the one important thing to do is work with engineers who have recorded the same genre/type of music that you are making.

if not, at least take some CDs of similar artists in to the engineer, and show them the feel you are going for.

this is not to say be unoriginal and sound like your influences, but if the engineer is used to redording wanna-be topforty recordings of american idol contestants, all their instincts as to how to approach each instrument's sound is way fucked up.

i've gotten into heated arguments with every engineer i've worked with, and it could have been avoided if i've gone to studios where the people working had any clue.

nowadays, i just do everything on my computer anyway, and for the same price of paying studiotime for recording a full album, you could easily afford all the software and hardware to do it yourself.

i have more experience behind the board than in the live room, but when i'm being recorded i've had tons opf fun...

however, i have never been in the situation of paying $1000 for an 8 hour...

running on a neve and paying for the tape, my most expensive sesssion was $540 for 16 hours... paying more than that would have just seemed absurd for shitty punk...

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

i have more experience behind the board than in the live room, but when i'm being recorded i've had tons opf fun...

however, i have never been in the situation of paying $1000 for an 8 hour...

running on a neve and paying for the tape, my most expensive sesssion was $540 for 16 hours... paying more than that would have just seemed absurd for shitty punk...

sorry it was 1000$ for 2, 8 hour sessions

and its not shitty punk music its rock solo's 3 part harmonys not power cords and punk beats. ill have to post what we got done the quality is amazing... if any one can give me some info on how to post a windows media player file hit me up beinggodisgreat@msn.com

Archived