Wat was the old school graffiti like??

junior

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

well it was alot more creative in my opinion and alot more artistic. aslo the colors were alot more vibrant and colorful. umm... they had letter strcuture downpaked unlike kids today. if u ever go to mrwiggles website look at ihs peices done by him, those are pretty mcuh oldskool. if i have neough energy to post the oldskool pics i got i will, and hopefully itll help u out.

p.s. dnt listen to all the haterz datll reply sayin ur a toy, everybody starts sumwhere..peace

jesus christ. i went through amazon and picked out a bunch of links for you, but the formatting wouldnt work so i got pissed.

just go to amazon and type in graffiti.

look for

subway art

spray can art

the art of getting over

dondi white

futura

style wars

wild style

beat street

there are a ton of newer books on graff as well/

also, go to google, type in words you think might yield good results, and start reading.

and don't ever listen to anyone that replaces S's with Z's.

Originally posted by MrSirius+Oct 22 2004, 07:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrSirius - Oct 22 2004, 07:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-porque@Oct 17 2004, 11:07 PM

...back then everybody had to walk to spots...people had to walk ten miles in foot deep snow...and it was uphill both ways...

what and people dont do this today?

[/b]

dude, think about it. IT WAS A JOKE :haha:

there are degrees of old school. 1990 to many is old school, but to others 1990 is new school. for ny subways old school is like 1970, for freights old school is like 1980s. for just general city walls, old school is like the 1960s. (it all started in philly)

i cant comment on the styles and the progression of the "art" so to speak, because that is always relative to individual taste, but as for freights my fondest memories were being able to go into a yard with a napsack full of paint and not leaving until all your paint is gone. being the only person in my city really interested in freights (this is like 1990). its not the same now a days. i feel like if im in a spot for over an hour i been there too long, and im pressing my luck. not to mention there are at least a dozen kids out here now that do freights. its cool, i enjoy the friendly competition, but i do miss the old days.

My Perception of Old School Graffiti Art is Anyone Who Was Out There Doing it Before 1990 and Beyond That!!.

I Started Out Actively Writing Graff back in 1982 Here in New York Through My Mentor who I Met Back in High School and YES!!,Back in The Day,The Styles were a Whole Lot Simpler to do and to Read and Was Not Very Complexed Like What Some of These NEW JACKS Are Doing Today In The Millenium!!.Back in The Day,It was also all About The Respect for 1 Another But There Wasn't That Much Love Back Then Between Other Writers The Way That It is Today,Back Then You Couldn't just Walk up to Other Graff Writers to ask Them If They Write,From The Stories That I Know to Be True,There was Always That Possibility That You Can Catch a Beat Down for It Too!!.

I Remember Incident Some Years Ago and Hearing About It That There Was a Graff Crew from The Bronx That Went to Another Writers Home and Showed Disrespect and Terrorized Him for About an Hour in His Own Home By Pouncing on Him Repeatedly and Then Taking All of His Graff Materials Such as His Black Books,His Markers and Spray,You Would Be Surprised as to How Quickly The Word About This Spreaded Around In The Graff World too.

Today In The Graff Scene,RESPECT Is Totally Lost I Mean Really,You've Got Some of These Younger Generations of Writers Going out Here and Dissing Some of The Elder Statesmen Writers,Some who Have Paid Their Just Dues and have Paved The Way for Some of You Younger Writers to Look Up and Learn from as Well!!,Graff Food for Thought!!.I Can't Start to Even Mention as to How Many Times That I Have Driven Through Different Areas of The Bronx and Have Seen Veteran Street Bombers Like COPE 2 or TABE or JA,People like That Getting Their Tags or Floaters Dissed by Young Playa Hater Writers Out There Just for Attention Which I Feel is Very F&%$ed Up too!!.

Just Like CASE @ Had Mentioned in COPE 2's Video "You Gotta Respect Da Old School!!" Which is Not Just a Statement,But a True Know Fact!!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by skem@Oct 23 2004, 01:21 AM

old school graffiti is similar to modern day denver, like someone mentioned on here a couple months back.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

That's fuckin bullshit. Old Skool aint similar to any city nowadays...its way different..and to claim your city is the most similar to old skool graff is just bullshit.

Archived