the media fucked up again

John Birch

they reported at about 9 that they found all the miners alive...all of the sudden the cable news channels had all the experts on, interviewing family, asking how they survived etc etc...how happy everyone was etc etc

then it was not true...I'm watching shit now at 1am and goddamn... I'm just thinking.. the media fucked up spreading word on unconfirmed reports and getting everyone hopes up, esp the fams of the dudes...

thoughts/ opinions/ bad jokes?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

wow, that sucks bigtime. Media hold the responsibility to verify (to one point) their info, thats what makes the difference between news and gossip.

Originally posted by symbols@Jan 4 2006, 02:19 PM

media has become gossip

the popularity of 'entertainment news' and infotainment is one of the worst parts of this modern age

You said it. Nobody cares about "what really happened" Just, who breaks the story first , ratings and all that. I said it before....KILL YOUR TV!!!

People are so consumerized and hopped up on media reports.

It's just entertainment.

people need their sex, violence and death fix for the day. bunch a weirdos if you ask me.

Do you know what the first thing phsychaitrists say to depressed people? STOP WATCHING THE NEWS.

Not that I'm into psychaitry and phsychaitrists, a lot of them are just as wacked out and pill poppin as their patients.

I want to move to a country where TV's are considered a one eyed cyclops satan device. (not that any place like that exists) America has done a good job of placing their bright ,flashy westernized lifestyle,zombie propogation tool in every home in the globe.(except those whom Allah has favored)

Thats a tough one on the families though. My regards.

Originally posted by Herbivore@Jan 4 2006, 09:41 AM

Yeah, apparently only one of the guys survived. I don't think it's entirely the media's fault, because someone gave them incorrect info, but it definitely sucks for the families of those who didn't make it.

Your exactly wrong! if your are a public news source you don't go with something unless you know it's 100% true otherwise your just spreding a rumor!

Originally posted by Dawood@Jan 4 2006, 10:48 AM

....KILL YOUR TV!!!

I think it's better to 'annex' your TV to a minor role in the household.

I dont have a TV in the living room and some people get freaked out because

there isn't a constant humming glow of background flicker, but other people

love it because they dont want to be forced to watch TV when they dont want to.

I only get 8 channels (on the rabbit ears) and those channels are used sparingly.

There's PBS and TVO (the canadian version of PBS) and a few local stations.

There's plenty of good television out there (shows like Nova, anything by National Geographic etc.)

You just need to learn to have power over the TV, instead of blindly surfing from one

piece of mindless trass to the next piece of trash. ANNEX YOUR TV.

Originally posted by MAGS156+Jan 4 2006, 11:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MAGS156 - Jan 4 2006, 11:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Herbivore@Jan 4 2006, 09:41 AM

Yeah, apparently only one of the guys survived.  I don't think it's entirely the media's fault, because someone gave them incorrect info, but it definitely sucks for the families of those who didn't make it.

Your exactly wrong! if your are a public news source you don't go with something unless you know it's 100% true otherwise your just spreding a rumor!

[/b]

You're right, but I'm sure the rumor spread to the families of the victims before the media spread it to the rest of the world. I highly doubt they heard about it on the news for the first time.

they heard it from the mining company pres first.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/mine.....wed/index.html

By 3 a.m. mine company chief Ben Hatfield announced that 12 of the 13 were dead.

There had been a tragic "miscommunication," Hatfield said.

Hatfield's announcement sent Anna Casto, who lost her cousin, into a tirade.

"No, he strictly told us they was alive," Casto said. "Three hours later he come back and said they wasn't."

"We want to know why, and how people can get by with this," she said.

Casto said the tragedy has shaken the faith of some in the community. "We have got some of us ... saying... that we don't even know if there is a Lord anymore," she said. "We had a miracle, and it was taken away from us."

Hatfield said he knew within 20 minutes that an error had been made and that not all 12 were alive, but said he did not inform jubilant family members.

"We couldn't correct the information without knowing more about it," he told reporters. "Let's put this in perspective -- who do we tell not to celebrate? All I knew is, there weren't 12 people that were alive. It was somewhere between 12 and zero."

Hatfield said he understood family members' anger.

"I'm not surprised or upset with them. They certainly have some basis for their frustration, having been put through this emotional roller-coaster. I wouldn't wish that on anyone."

Hatfield said the miscommunication occurred between rescue crews and the command center, causing the earlier erroneous reports.

'Miscommunication'

ICG's CEO Hatfield blamed the wrong information on a “miscommunication.� The news spread after people overheard cell phone calls, he said. In reality, rescuers had only confirmed finding 12 miners and were checking their vital signs.

But what leaked out to anxious family members was that 12 were found alive.

“That information spread like wildfire,� Hatfield said, “because it had come from the command center,� where rescuers communicated via an open microphone, raising the possibility that anyone in the center could have spread incorrect information. In addition, rescuers were wearing masks and their communication could have come in garbled.

msnbc linkage

who knows what the real truth is.

^yup.

I don't want to sound insensitive...but...people forget they have a right to be offended. there is waaaaay too much lawful interference into the protecting of peoples sensitivities nowadays.

this isn't really the place to soapbox...so I'll just say RIP to those that died and the strength to move on to those that had to go through that ordeal.

things are strange these days...

from a totaly different case:

The Air France flight that went down in Toronto last summer.

Every single passenger was taken off the plane and there wasn't

a single fatality, but there's HUGE lawsuits goign on for 'stress'.

These people could have DIED, but they didn't. They got to live,

and now they're suing because they're afraid to fly. Flying isn't a right!

Originally posted by symbols@Jan 4 2006, 12:45 PM

they heard it from the mining company pres first.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/mine.....wed/index.html

Hatfield said the miscommunication occurred between rescue crews and the command center, causing the earlier erroneous reports.

Sooo ... Kill Your Rescue Crews?

my issue is that the media blew it up.. they got all the experts on, talked to all the family members etc etc, without confirming the story...yeah it was a rumor when the false report reached the families, but the news media more or less confirmed it for them by hyping it... and plus I heard some families saw it on tv and rushed down...

but I have no problems with tv and the media generally. just the way news is reported...I read like 8 newspapers a day and watch like 5-6 different news programs a day just to get different perspectives...

Psychiatrists say that people get depressed when they watch rescue workers. My house doesn't have rescue workers, I mean who needs that type of distraction? People always look at me weird and say "what if your house burns down, or theres an earthquake, or aliens invade" but some people enjoy it.

On NPR this morning they made it seem like the media ran the story that everyone survived without checking the facts. That one guy who survived is very lucky.

Originally posted by nopi-one@Jan 4 2006, 05:36 PM

I fucking Live in Dub Vee. I'm in charleston. No one here really gives a shit, lol

congratulations on being a heartless bastard :rolleyes:

btw

the headline of the baltimore sun newspaper today

was that 12 mine workers were rescued

Originally posted by Stereotype V.001@Jan 4 2006, 09:41 PM

Psychiatrists say that people get depressed when they watch rescue workers. My house doesn't have rescue workers, I mean who needs that type of distraction? People always look at me weird and say "what if your house burns down, or theres an earthquake, or aliens invade" but some people enjoy it.

On NPR this morning they made it seem like the media ran the story that everyone survived without checking the facts. That one guy who survived is very lucky.

LOL

Originally posted by SteveAustin+Jan 4 2006, 06:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveAustin - Jan 4 2006, 06:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-nopi-one@Jan 4 2006, 03:36 PM

I fucking Live in Dub Vee. I'm in charleston. No one here really gives a shit, lol

don't be an idiot...wait...too late.

care to explain to all the families and everyone here whats sooo funny about this situation that you're lol?

[/b]

I would be happy to. Simply put. Shit didnt happen to me or anyone i knew. So fuck em. Really though, you work in a mine, thats your bag, its not like you have to anymore. Shit it used to be the only job you could fucking get. And the fact the families got their hopes up only to find out they're dead. Sorry... thats gotta suck ass, but hey, you'll sue. Get a sympathy vote and get a shitload of money anyways. So fuck you victims, I got the same information and i dont get jack shit.

Guest Sparoism

He's got a point, although I'm not sure I completely agree.

Two newspapers out here ran the same headline....I wonder how far they'll bury the correction. At least page five, possibly further....

When I lived in Marin County during the (incredibly wet) winter of 1993, Marin Independent Journal ran a headline saying "Drought Over, Say Officials" or something to to that effect...turns out their source had overheard someone at the NOAA station in San Rafael say, "With this kind of rainfall, the drought should be over this year." Didn't quote him, just hearsay...the next day, though, they had a headline that said, "Just Kidding" in reference to the previous story.

At least they had a sense of humor, plus accountability.