Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Swedish foreign minister Lindh dies after attack

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by imported_Europe, Sep 11, 2003.

1. I feel like shit right now and its not because of the anniversary of 9-11. Actually I feel much worse then I did at 9-11-2001.

Swedish foreign minister Lindh dies after attack
    STOCKHOLM, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Sweden's Foreign Minister Anna Lindh died after prolonged surgery on Thursday after being stabbed by an unidentified man in a Stockholm department store on Wednesday, Prime Minister Goran Persson said.
    A leading campaigner for Sweden to join the euro zone in a referendum on Sunday, and tipped as a future prime minister, she was stabbed in the chest, stomach and arms while shopping.
    "I have received with sorrow information that Sweden's Foreign Minister Anna Lindh died this morning at 5.29 am of her wounds," Persson told a news conference.

2. Earlier telegram before she was announced dead:

STOCKHOLM, Sept 11 (Reuters) - Swedish Foreign Minister Anna Lindh was in critical condition and undergoing new surgery on Thursday after being stabbed in the chest, stomach and arms, doctors said, and police were still hunting her attacker.
    Lindh, who was attacked soon after 4 p.m. (1400 GMT) on Wednesday while shopping in a downtown Stockholm department store, was in surgery for eight hours until early on Thursday, and the surgery had resumed, Karolinska hospital doctors said.
    The Social Democrat government was due to meet at 9 a.m. (0700 GMT) and leaders of the main parties were to meet later to decide whether to go ahead with a key referendum on Sunday on Swedish membership of the euro.
    Lindh, one of Sweden's most popular and respected politicians, has been campaigning for Sweden to join the euro, though opponents of membership of the European Union's common currency have led in opinion polls since April.
    Political commentators said an extraordinary session of parliament could be convened on Saturday and the assembly might decide to postpone the euro plebiscite.
    The crown held firm against the euro, trading at 9.1148 at 0625 GMT compared with 9.1375 at Wednesday's close.
    Police said there were no clues to the motives of the unidentified man who stabbed Lindh several times before escaping unchallenged. Police from across Sweden were rushed to Stockholm to help in the search.
    Officials would not say whether Lindh had received any threats.
    Police said they were looking for a man about 180 cm (six feet) tall. They found the man's army jacket, cap and knife and were analysing video footage from the shop's security cameras.
    At a brief 3 a.m. (0100 GMT) news conference, doctors said Lindh had severe internal bleeding, but was conscious when she was brought in just before 5 p.m. (1500 GMT) the day before.

LIVER WOUND
    The hospital said in a statement: "We at once decided to operate...during the operation it was confirmed that there was severe internal bleeding from a wound to the liver and several large blood vessels in the abdomen."
    "The foreign minister's condition has now somewhat improved but is still critical," hospital doctor Lars Irestedt told the news conference 10 hours after the attack.
    The stabbing shocked the relatively crime-free Nordic nation whose politicians, except the prime minister, generally walk around without bodyguards.
    In 1986 Sweden was traumatised when Prime Minister Olof Palme was shot dead on his way home from a cinema, just a few blocks from where Lindh was stabbed. His assassin was never caught.
    "The attack on her is an attack on our open society," said Prime Minister Goran Persson, who told a news conference late on Wednesday he had ordered increased security around King Carl XVI Gustaf, top politicians and major government buildings.
    Kurt Malmstrom, the chief of the security police responsible for the safety of government officials, said security had been increased to the highest level.
    Lindh, married with two children, became foreign minister in 1998 after a stellar career in the Social Democratic party, which has ruled Sweden for six of the last seven decades. REUTERS

3. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

sounds shitty, but me being an american...it doesnt affect me..havent heard anything of it till now.

rip

4. ^^
    The news of her death was released 10 minutes ago. Its horrible, people at my office are sitting around silent and staring now, the girls are crying. If the american media wasnt so selfcentered they would be all over this instead of fucking remembering 9-11

5. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

yeah, who gives a shit about 9-11...i mean it was only the most bold terrorist attack in the last 2000 years! what self centered assholes we must be, to be focusing on it, on its anniversary, and looking at how the fallout of it is (right or wrong) is shaping the whole world!
    no offense, but what is more relevent to americans, having several thousand of their fellow countrymen killed in a terrorist attack, or having one person stabbed? we have enough problems giving a shit about our next door neighbor, let alone some women we've never heard of, in a country we know only through ikea catalogues and culinary puppets.
    not saying i necessarily agree, just saying thats how it is.

6. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

rip

7. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

8. Whatever, I didnt expect anybody to really get this, except Tesser maybe. Thanks for proving that seeks...

9. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

wow, i'm sensing some mega deep hostile vibe-tronicsz here.

rip.

10. metallix

metallix Elite Member

11. Vlad

Vlad Senior Member

12. Edika

Edika Member

can i know why you and your nation are so deeply affected by her death?

13. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

perhaps you or tesser would like to explain what exactly you're belitteling of the murder of 5,000 people, and our 'selfcentered' desire to commerate this event is supposed to 'prove'.
    you know im no fan of american politics and in many cases, citizens, but your comments here are just ignorant. we as americans certainly do need to begin paying more attention to foreign politics, but it does not need to be at the expense of our own homeland issues. we certainly have the capacity to honor both, but the present system and the fact that weve never known anything but unilateral interest kind of hinders that.
    9-11 was not an 'american tragedy', it was a world tragedy (in every possible respect.)

14. metallix

metallix Elite Member

http://i.timeinc.net/time/daily/newsfiles/terrorism/images/terrorism.jpg'>

we need a new government to fix this

a total security state

please