RETRO ATARI - Redesigned by DELTA/REAS/GIANT.

High Priest

Retro Atari

Genre: Action

Publisher: Atari

# of players: 4

Release Date: 03/22/2005

ESRB Rating:

Everyone

Atari has another Atari Classic game coming out but this time it's for the DS and they're putting a little spin on it. It's called Retro Atari and even though it's kind of similar to other Atari Classic games that have been released on the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and just about any other system that you think of. Retro Atari changes the look of the games by going out to some of today's most popular graffiti artists like REAS, Delta, and Shepard Fairey.

In Retro Atari their will be two different type of game modes, the first game mode will be the classic Atari games, it's played out just as any other classic Atari game, now the other game mode is the "tagged" mode. This is basically the retro part of the game, again it is played out the same way but has a different look, a lot more colorful and makes the whole game look pretty cool. Their are 10 games featured on Retro Atari including Pong, Missile Command, Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Tempest, Warlords, Gravitar, Lunar Lander and Sprint. The games should be easy to understand from going up and down to hit a ball across the screen to controlling how much fuel is used to go across the surface of some planet. Retro Atari will also feature 4 player wireless multiplayer, though no word on which games will feature the wireless play.

The game will use both screens on the DS and most of the focus will be on the top screen, though their are some games where the action takes place on both screens, for the controls you may use either the D-pad and button layout or the touch screen during game play. Of course all the action will be 2-D but there is obviously nothing wrong with that. The colors on the tagged mode really stick out, they make the game a whole lot better like on Missile Command the colors are just so eye catching, but on others their is not much to look at.

Though Retro Atari doesn't really use the Nintendo DS's capabilities it is a great game for passing time on a 10 to 15 minute trip. But if you always get addicted to these type of classic games, like me, then you'll be playing this for quite a while, Pong alone usually keeps you interested for some time. Though on some games it looks as though it lacked the uniqueness I was expecting from the Tagged Mode. But overall this game looks pretty good and seems that it will have potential.

Appeal rating 7.7/10

-ElMariachi

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by swif1+Mar 4 2005, 10:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swif1 - Mar 4 2005, 10:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-boogie hands@Mar 3 2005, 06:22 PM

hot...im going to rush out and not buy that ever.

:lol:

I have a coloring book somewhere that was made by Reas.

[/b]

yeah, they've still got a few copies at a bookstore over here. very k3wL

Originally posted by Sarah Tonin+Mar 4 2005, 12:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sarah Tonin - Mar 4 2005, 12:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>wait a min..giant one or obey giant?

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-High Priest@Mar 4 2005, 07:43 AM

Retro Atari changes the look of the games by going out to some of today's most popular graffiti artists like REAS, Delta, and Shepard Fairey.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Mar 3 2005, 10:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Mar 3 2005, 10:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Sarah Tonin@Mar 4 2005, 12:10 PM

wait a min..giant one or obey giant?

<!--QuoteBegin-High Priest@Mar 4 2005, 07:43 AM

Retro Atari changes the look of the games by going out to some of today's most popular graffiti artists like REAS, Delta, and Shepard Fairey.

[/b]

i was asking because of the misleading thread title, then the article mentioning Shepard Fairey..and the basic fact that i dont even consider him a graffiti artist more like a graphic designer/stenciler of some sort who had stencils/stickers/wheatpastes up across the globe mostly done by other people than himself....but thats a whole 'nother 10 page thread.

This is the gayest gimmick in the history of gimmicky games. What graffiti and atari have to do with each other, i don't know, but it seems that Atari is very interested in tapping into graff right now.

I'd like to know where atari headquarters is, because I want to moon every single employee, and leave a flaming dookie bag in front of the doors.