pittsburgh jargon expalined!

taper

first of all its pixburgh not pittsburgh. ill explain that later. i will in this thread explain in detail the meanings of some of the most used slang terms in the steel city. so read up and dont be left wondering!

1)pixburgh- the city of pittsburgh

ex. i saw him in downtown pixburgh the other day.

2)yinz- you guys, more than one person

ex. yinz gonna go out to eat?

3) red up- clean up

ex. you better red up this room!

4)stillers- pittsburgh steelers football team

ex. yea i went to the stillers browns game.......of course the browns lost:lol:

5)jumbo- bologna- pronounced boloney in the burgh

ex. theres a sale on jumboat giant iggle today! (giant iggle see no.6)

6)giant iggle) giant eagle, grocery store.

ex. see above

7)pop- soda

ex. i'll have a pop.

8)wursh rag- wash rag

ex. red that up with that wursh rag.

9)an'at- and that

ex. were going to the store an' at

10) kelers- colors

ex. that piece has some cool kelers!

11) samich- sandwitch

ex. ill have chipped ham samich.

12) hero- a submarine sandwitch

ex. ill hav hero with extrea mayo.

1)3chipped ham- lunch meat, shredded ham

ex. chipped ham is a 1.29 a lb. now

14)arn city- iron city beer.

ex. dammit give me an arn citthers alot more theese are just some more common ones. any other yinzers feel free to add.

heres on more ex. of a tipcal convo..

hey you wanna go over to toms and watch the stiller game? his wife redded up the daen and bought some jumbo and chipped ham samiches an'at. plus he got some cases of arn city... like that:king:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

adding some more.

Ahia-Our neighboring state to the west.

Aht-A Pittsburgher's way of saying out, as in "Don't wait dinner for me honey, I'm going aht for a walk."

Alls-An example of grammatical construction peculiar to Pittsburgh in which a letter of the alphabet is added to a word for no apparent reason. Alls means the same as all. For example: "We may have to go out to dinner tonight; alls I have left in the refrigerator is some stale bread and an open jar of strawberry jelly."

All the further-A complete phrase designed around the word all, as in "I started driving to Philadelphia but it started to snow and Harrisburg was all the further I got."

Anat-A combination of two words that means and that.

Anymore-A rather confusing construction which doesn't mean any, or more, or even anymore. Instead, it means nowadays, or currently, or these days. It almost always occurs as the first word of a sentence, as in this example: "Anymore, the traffic on Liberty Avenue moves so slow, it's quicker to walk."

Catch up-What Pittsburghers put on their hotdogs and french fries.

Cleveland-What most Pittsburghers think of when asked to describe how bad Pittsburgh used to be.

Comere-A Pittsburgh "quickie". Come here, said quickly, is comere. See also: Gahed.

Crick-The way a Pittsburgher says creek.

Crookit-That's what most politicians and all dogs' hind legs are.

D-Pittsburghers have a lot of strange likes and dislikes. One dislike is the letter D, especially when it is in the middle of a word, next to another consonant. Being non-violent, for the most part, Pittsburghers do not rely on force to eliminate those offensive D's; instead they simply invoke one of the laws of English pronunciation and make the D's silent. Hence, couldn't becomes cooun't, wouldn't becomes wooun't, and everyone's all time favorite, didn't becomes din't.

Dahntahn-The way a Pittsburgher says downtown.

Dill-You know, as in "Let's make a dill" and "Boy, have I got a dill for you."

Djeatyet? Nodju?-Polish? Ukrainian? No, it's those Pittsburghers again, spitting out syllables as fast as they can and losing half of them in the process. It really means "Did you eat yet" "No. Did you?"

Don-The opposite of up.

Drug-It's not something we should "just say no" too. It's simply the past tense of the word drag.

:lol:

more

Gahed-Say it quick in Pittsburgh and it's not go ahead, but rather gahed. See also: Comere

Gedaht!-A shortened form of Gedahtahere!, this exclamation is not something you yell at the dog when it makes a mess on the rug, but rather an exclamation of surprise, with synonyms such as "I didn't know that," "Really?", and "No kidding."

Going for-This phrase is used in conjunction with the time, as in "You'd better hurry or you'll be late for work. It's going for eight o' clock."

Greenfilled-A Pittsburgh neighborhood, adjacent to Scroll Hill, which is very urban and thus has few fields and very little green.

Green Tree Hill-A thermometer stuck in Pittsburgh's backside which measures automotive congestion by the degree to which it is covered with traffic.

Gumban-A word which, if said slowly, would be heard as gum band, which is what everyone else in the world calls a rubber band.

H

Haffing-Usually used in connection with the word to, as in "I sent my payment in by mail, so I could settle up my account without haffing to go there."

Hans-Something that Pittsburghers have two of and on each of them there are five fingers.

How big of a-This phrase is sort of like those ones, in that sometimes Pittsburghers just don't know when to atop during a sentencs-they include one or two unnecessary words. The response to "I caught a really big fish on the lake yesterday," should be, "Oh, how big a fish was it?" But in Pittsburgh, the response is "How big of a fish was it?"

I

Ignernt-Here's a word guaranteed to confuse any new arrival to Pittsburgh. To everyone else the word ignorant(whence ignernt derives) means uninformed or lacking in knowledge. But in Pittsburgh, ignernt means rude.

Ink pen-Although there's really no reason to announce what's inside a pen, Pittsburghers do anyway. Instead of asking for just a pen, they ask for an ink pen.

J

Jagger-The way a Pittsburgh says thorn.

Jagoff-Unpleasant individulal, or jerk.

K

Kairk-The way Pittsburghers pronounce the name of their neighborhood, Carrick.

Keller-The Pittsburgh pronunciation of the word color.

Ketch-What the Steelers and Pirates offense should be doing.

M

Meer-A meer is a bright, silvery object, made in all sizes and shapes and used to see reflections.

Melk-That white stuff that we never outgrew our need for, that goes great with cold cereal and chocolate chip cookies.

Member-Because remember is too cumbersome a word, Pittsburghers have shortened it too member.

The Mon-What Pittsburghers call the Monongahela River when they don't have time to slow down their talking to ennciate all the syllables clearly.

N

Nebby-Means the same as nosey.

Norside-Similar to Souside, but on the other side of the rivers.

Nuh-uhh'-This word means the same as "No way, Jose," or "You've got to be kidding!"

P

Pataydas-What Pittsburghers eat with their steak.

Pellow-One of those white, fluffy things you stick under your head at night.

Philadelphia-Remember that old saying about a person so ugly that "he had a face only a mother could love?" Well, that's how Pittsburghers feel about Philadelphia...or, Filthydelphia as Pittburghers "affectionately" call it.

Pixburgh-The way some Pittsburghers pronounce the name of their native land. It is many of these same Pixburghers who asks questions instead of asking them.

Putzie-A word that means the same as putter around, or, mechanically, means to fool around with.

an the last of it. when i was doing this i realized... i really do talk like this. and i didnt know that thoes werent really words at all.

R

Redd up-To clean up, or tidy up.

Redlight-When Pittsburghers give directions they don't use phrases such as "Turn left at the intersection," or even "Turn left at the traffic light". In fact, as far as Pittsburghers are concerned, Pittsburgh has no intersections and no traffic lights-or at least no traffic lights of the green or yellow variety. Pittsburgh has only red traffic lights. So all directions are given in terms of redlights, as in "Go two blocks to the redlight, hang a left, go one more block and then turn left again at the redlight and you're there."

Rillize-It's too hard for Pittsburghers to say ree-a-lize, so they just say rillize instead.

Rilly-Rilly rhymes with silly and means really.

Robison-Pittsburghers drop the n out of Robinson and it becomes Robison, as in Jackie Robison and Robison Township.

Rozzlin-Farms? Heights? It doesn't matter which Rosslyn it is, to Pittsburghers they're all Rozzlin

S

Sammich-An edible product invented by a nobleman of the same name(The Earl of Sammich).

Scroll Hill-One of Pittsburgh's neighborhoods which is really named Squirrel Hill.

Shardin-Can you say Sher-a-den? Many Pittsburghers, especially those living there, don't like to. So they say it fast and nasally and it comes out Shardin.

Shahrs-Stumped? Just remember: "April shahrs bring May flahrs."

'Sliberty-Those syllable sliding Pittsburghers have done it again. Here we have a place that anyone west of the Allegheny River calls East Liberty. But in Pittsburgh it's spit out at breakneck speed-'Sliberty!

Slippy-Many perfectly sensible Pittsburghers say slippy instead of slippery.

Souside-The area of Pittsburgh to the south of the Monongahela River.

Spicket-The metal thing with the hole on the end that water comes out of.

Stillers-Pittsburgh's resident football team.

T

Tamaydas-Those round, red things that scientists say are fruit and everyone else says are vegetables.

Tempachur-When a Pittsburgher gets sick he may have a fever-or a tempachur.

Those ones-A peculiar(and sometimes annoyong) grammatical construction in which Pittsburghers add something to a sentence instead of taking it away. When a Pittsburgher is asked "Which apples do you want?" they reply "Those ones," insrtead of simply saying "Those."

Tubes-Pittsburgh slang for tunnels.

U

V

W

Waiting dinner-A phrase usually used by the lady of the house, when you've arrived an hour later than you promised, to describe the delay in serving dinner, because she was waiting for you. For example, "I was waiting dinner until you got home from the office."

Window seal-What everyone else calls a window sill.

Worsh-As a noun, it's the stuff that goes into the washing machine when it gets dirty. As a verb, it's what you do to the stuff once it gets into the washing machine.

Y

The Yock-Term used by Pittsburghers to refer to the Youghiogheny River, so called because of the sounds of laughter("yock, yock, yock") heard emanating from geography teachers reading their students attempts to spell the word correctly.

Yunz-The word that sets Pittsburghers apart from everyone else in the world. It means the same as all of you and is sort of a northern y'all. Yunz is singular, with yunzes usually reserved for the plural.

:lol: thats why pittsburgh is that greatest city in the world........

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by R. Heydrich

You can find an internet site for pretty much any crap, cant you...

YUP. Aussie slang:

B & S : Bachelors' and Spinsters' Ball - a very enjoyable party usually held in rural areas

Back of Bourke : a very long way away

Bail (somebody) up : to corner somebody physically

Bail out : depart, usually angrily

Banana bender : a person from Queensland

Barbie : barbecue (noun)

Barrack : to cheer on (football team etc.)

Bastard : term of endearment

Bathers : swimming costume

Battler : someone working hard and only just making a living

Beaut, beauty : great, fantastic

Big-note oneself : brag, boast

Bikkie : biscuit (also "it cost big bikkies" - it was expensive)

Billabong : an ox-bow river or watering hole

Billy : large tin can used to boil water over a campfire for tea

Bingle : motor vehicle accident

Bities : biting insects

Bitzer : mongrel dog (bits of this and bits of that)

Bizzo : business ("mind your own bizzo")

Black Stump, beyond the : a long way away, the back of nowhere

Bloke : man, guy

Bloody : very (bloody hard yakka)

Bloody oath! : that's certainly true

Blow in the bag : have a breathalyser test

Blowie : blow fly

Bludger : lazy person, layabout, somebody who always relies on other people to do things or lend him things

Blue : fight ("he was having a blue with his wife")

Blue, make a : make a mistake

Bluey : pack, equipment, traffic ticket, redhead

Bluey : blue cattle dog (named after its subtle markings) which is an excellent working dog. Everyone's favourite all-Aussie dog.

Bluey : heavy wool or felt jacket worn by mining and construction workers.

Bluey : bluebottle jellyfish

Bodgy : of inferior quality

Bog in : commence eating, to attack food with enthusiasm

Bog standard : basic, unadorned, without accessories (a bog standard car, telephone etc.)

Bondi cigar : see "brown-eyed mullet"

Bonzer : great, ripper

Boogie board : a hybrid, half-sized surf board

Boomer : a large male kangaroo

Booze bus : police vehicle used for catching drunk drivers

Boozer : a pub

Bored shitless : very bored

Bottle shop : liquor shop

Bottle-o : liquor shop

Bottler : something excellent

Bottling, his blood's worth : he's an excellent, helpful bloke.

Bounce : a bully

Bourke Street, he doesn't know Christmas from : he's a bit slow in the head. (Bourke Street is a brightly lit Melbourne street)

Brass razoo, he hasn't got a : he's very poor

Brekkie : breakfast

Brick shit house, built like a : big strong bloke

Brickie : bricklayer

Brisvegas : Brisbane, state capital of Queensland

Brizzie : Brisbane, state capital of Queensland

Brown-eyed mullet : a turd in the sea (where you're swimming!)

Brumby : a wild horse

Buck's night : stag party, male gathering the night before the wedding

Buckley's, Buckley's chance : no chance ("New Zealand stands Buckley's of beating Australia at football")

Bull bar : stout bar fixed to the front of a vehicle to protect it against hitting kangaroos

Bundy : short for Bundaberg, Queensland, and the brand of rum that's made there

Bunyip : mythical outback creature

Bush : the hinterland, the Outback, anywhere that isn't in town

Bush oyster : nasal mucus

Bush telly : campfire

Bushie : someone who lives in the Bush

Bushranger : highwayman, outlaw

Butcher : small glass of beer in South Australia - From the theory that a butcher could take a quick break from his job, have a drink and be back at work

BYO : unlicensed restaurant where you have to Bring Your Own grog, also similar party or barbecue

C

Cactus : dead, not functioning ("this bloody washing machine is cactus")

Captain Cook : look (noun) ("let's have a Captain Cook")

Cark it : to die, cease functioning

Cat burying shit, as busy as a : busy

Cat's piss, as mean as : mean, stingy, uncharitable

Chewie : chewing gum

Chokkie : chocolate

Chook : a chicken

Chrissie : Christmas

Christmas : see Bourke Street

Chuck a sickie : take the day off sick from work when you're perfectly healthy

Chunder : vomit

Clacker : anus (from Latin cloaca = sewer). Also the single orifice of monotremes (platypus and echidna) used both for reproduction and for the elimination of body wastes.

Clayton's : fake, substitute

Click : kilometre - "it's 10 clicks away"

Clucky : feeling broody or maternal

Cobber : friend

Cockie : farmer. Also a cockatoo

Cockroach : a person from New South Wales

Coldie : a beer

Come a gutser : make a bad mistake, have an accident

Compo : Workers' Compensation pay

Conch (adj. conchy) : a conscientious person. Somebody who would rather work or study than go out and enjoy him/herself.

Cooee, not within : figuratively a long way away, far off - England weren't within cooee of beating Australia at cricket

Cook (noun) : One's wife

Corroboree : an aboriginal dance festival

Counter lunch : pub lunch

Cozzie : swimming costume

Crack a fat : get an erection

Crack onto (someone) : to hit on someone, pursue someone romantically

Cranky : in a bad mood, angry

Cream (verb) : defeat by a large margin

Crook : sick, or badly made

Crow eater : a person from South Australia

Cut lunch : sandwiches

Cut lunch commando : army reservist

Cut snake, mad as a : very angry

D

Dag : a funny person, nerd, goof

Daks : trousers

Damper : bread made from flour and water

Date : arse[hole] ("get off your fat date")

Dead dingo's donger, as dry as a : dry

Dead horse : Tomato sauce

Deadset : true, the truth

Dero : tramp, hobo, homeless person (from "derelict")

Dickhead : see "whacker"

Digger : a soldier

Dill : an idiot

Dingo's breakfast : a yawn, a leak and a good look round (i.e. no breakfast)

Dinkum, fair dinkum : true, real, genuine ("I'm a dinkum Aussie"; "is he fair dinkum?")

Dinky-di : the real thing, genuine

Dipstick : a loser, idiot

Dob (somebody) in : inform on somebody. Hence dobber, a tell-tale

Docket : a bill, receipt

Doco : documentary

Dog : unattractive woman

Dog's balls, stands out like : obvious

Dog's eye : meat pie

Dole bludger : somebody on social assistance when unjustified

Donger : penis

Doodle : penis

Down Under : Australia and New Zealand

Drink with the flies : to drink alone

Drongo : a dope, stupid person

Dropkick : see 'dipstick'

Drum : information, tip-off ("I'll give you the drum")

Duchess : sideboard

Duffer, cattle : rustler

Dummy, spit the : get very upset at something

Dunny : outside lavatory

Dunny budgie : blowfly

Dunny rat, cunning as a : very cunning

Durry : cigarette

Dux : top of the class (n.); to be top of the class (v.) - "She duxed four of her subjects".

E

Earbashing : nagging, non-stop chatter

So stop your earbashing!!

A couple was invited to a swanky masked Halloween Party. The wife got a terrible headache and told her husband to go to the party alone. He, being a devoted husband, protested, but she argued and said she was going to take some aspirin and go to bed, and there was no need of his good time being spoiled by not going. So he took his costume and away he went.

The wife, after sleeping soundly for one hour, awakened without pain. As it was still early, she decided to go to the party. Since her husband did not know what her costume was, she thought she would have some fun watching him to see how he acted when she was not with him.

She joined the party and soon spotted her husband cavorting around on the dance floor, dancing with every nice woman he could, copping a little feel here and a little kiss there. His wife sidled up to him. As a rather seductive babe herself, he left his partner high and dry and devoted his time to the new stuff that had just arrived.

She let him go as far as he wished; naturally, since he was her husband. Finally he whispered a little proposition in her ear and she agreed, so off they went to one of the cars and had sex. Just before unmasking at midnight, she slipped away, went home, put the costume away and got into bed, wondering what kind of explanation he would make for his behavior.

She was sitting up reading when he came in and she asked how the party was. He said, "Oh, the same old thing. You know I never have a good time when you're not there."

Then she asked, "Did you dance much?"

He replied, "I'll tell you, I never even danced one dance. When I got there, I met Pete, Bill Brown and some other guys, so we went into the den and played poker all evening. But I'll tell you... the guy I loaned my costume to sure had a really good time!"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived