Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

GRAPHIC DESIGN

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KONFLIKT, Feb 9, 2005.

1. KONFLIKT

KONFLIKT Guest

I'm thinking about going to the Academy Of Art to get a degree in graphic design in the fall. I would like some feed-back from anyone who has gotten a degree in graphic design. Is it worth it? Is there many jobs? Does it pay well?

2. why write?

why write? Veteran Member

im thinking about this also..

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

The Vice A to Z of design

Being a designer used to mean you drove a Benz and you could get good drugs. Now it means you own a computer. What the fuck? You start out thinking you're going to blow people's minds with your incredibly unique take on the beauty that surrounds us all, and by the time you actually get your career in motion you're essentially a wedding photographer chained to a desk.

It starts in design school, where they have so few computers they make you learn Microsoft Word forever under the pretense that you're "getting the foundations." By the time you graduate, the little bit of software knowledge you did get is totally out-of-date (even as I write this Quark is getting phased out to make room for InDesign). You think you can reverse all this drudgery when you make your first club flyer but that's when the pain really sets in. You see, your ideas don't mean shit to the client. He couldn't be bothered learning how to use a computer, so what he wants to do is use you as a human paintbrush. Any idea you come up with, no matter how mundane, is going to be further bastardized by his shitty Guido taste until the final result is a perfect example of everything you hate. There, you got into design as part of the solution and now you're just another part of the problem. Still want to learn more? OK, if you fucking insist…

4. KONFLIKT

KONFLIKT Guest

So I guess it's not quite worth it. But please tell me more.

5. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

check the link, read the whole article.

6. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

art majors got it worse.

dont front.

7. deterrent

deterrent Veteran Member

If you are dedicated you can make it.

I highly suggest going to the best school you can get in. A good rule of thumb
    is don't attend a school that has commercials on TV. Make sure the school is
    NASAD accredited. Admissions directors will try very hard to impress you, so
    when visiting the school find time to talk to the students. Ask them questions
    about the school and on their friends that have graduated. AIGA (www.aiga.org)
    is a professional design organization that will be extremely informative, if you
    do decide to follow the design path join this organization, it helps.

A lot of what K3 said is true and it can be really depressing. Here's how I
    manage through the bullshit.

Through out school as soon as I understood the programs I jumped ahead and
    read up on proper print production. Started talking to everyone I knew and
    began picking up work where ever I could no matter what it paid (some didn't
    pay at all). My teachers knew my work & ethics and recommended me for AIGA
    Student President, and I got it. During this time my school offered me paid
    fulltime position at the school designing all the print work. At graduation I didn't
    just have my school projects, but a ton of real world projects, a networking base,
    and credentials, that got me a job a week after graduation, I started as Senior
    Designer at an entertainment company (they own and run about 50 restaurants
    and clubs) they paid crap but it gave my portfolio a huge variety it needed. 6
    months into that I started working my network and found a position of Art Director
    (salary, 401k, health, life, dental) for a publication company. The work is sterile
    and boring but they take care of me real nicely. Having this salary gives me the
    freedom to only take freelance work in which the client gives me just about
    complete artistic freedom. And that is where I let lose and blow minds.

After a year at this position I’ll start to look for a larger one at an Agency and
    work that side of design.

8. Telo

Telo Elite Member

"art majors got it worse"

aint that the fucking truth.. What in the hell can you do with an art degree really??

9. Coffie Crave

Coffie Crave Senior Member

Never let school get in the way of an education

10. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

I really don't know. I honestly think I might end up spending four years in art school, graduate, and just go right back to doing construction.

but hopefully not.

11. deterrent

deterrent Veteran Member

Extremely true!

Life is everyones education, just pay attention.

12. KONFLIKT

KONFLIKT Guest

Would you consider the academy of art San Francisco a good school? It has commericals on t.v. bout I think its a really good school.

13. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

comercials DO NOT make a good school.

good schools use their reputation and their graduates to advertise.

14. deterrent

deterrent Veteran Member

[post=3832903]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]
    Would you consider the academy of art San Francisco a good school? It has commericals on t.v. bout I think its a really good school.
    [post=3832966]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]

If it's the school I'm thinking of I've had several friends/people I know come from there
    with the Masters and are doing well. Isn't it also a fine art school, if so I've heard of it
    and it's a great school. When I heard academy I was think Illinois out here there is an
    "American Academy of Art and Design" they suck, really hard.

Go on the website and look at the Alumni section see if you recognize any one, I believe
    that was McGee's school.

15. KONFLIKT

KONFLIKT Guest

so a good school CAN"T have commericals? The commericals were made by the students in the motion picture, graphic design and advertising departments.
    It can't be that easy to pick a school based on how little advertising they have. Especally if they have an advertising department.