Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

DVD Wars

Discussion in 'News' started by fermentor666, Aug 18, 2005.

1. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

5 years ago I read an article from 2600, the hacker quarterly, about how the MPAA was trying to take control of the DVD format by issueing different formats for different studios that were owned by companies that also owned DVD manufacterers. For instance, studios that are owned by Sony would only put out their films on the format that Sony supports, while studios owned by the people that own Toshiba (Warner Bros., etc) would only put out movies on the Toshiba format. This is what I read 5 years ago:

http://www.2600.com/news/0130-flyer/flyer.html

This is what I read today:

Lions Gate to use Blu-Ray DVD format

Thursday, August 18, 2005; Posted: 10:49 a.m. EDT (14:49 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. said Wednesday it will release movies and other content on the high definition Blu-Ray disc format when that technology launches next year.

The studio joins Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox and The Walt Disney Co. as supporters of one of two next generation DVD formats vying to replace standard DVDs.

Both formats promise increased storage capacity and movie resolution superior enough to get top performance from high-definition television sets. And both would contain stronger anti-piracy protection, a key factor in the studios' haste to adopt a new format.

Supporters of the rival format, HD-DVD, include Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios.

Blu-Ray was developed by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes the Panasonic brand, and Philips Electronics NV. HD-DVD was developed by electronics makers Toshiba Corp. and NEC Corp.

HD-DVD players and films are expected to be available by the end of the year. Blu-Ray players and films are expected to be available in North America sometime next year.

Studios and consumer electronics makers are hoping to avoid a format war that would leave consumers confused and unwilling to upgrade to the new equipment needed to play high definition discs. Such a war ensued when the competing Betamax and VHS videocassette formats were introduced, and it was blamed for slowing consumer acceptance of videocassette recorders.

Industry officials are pushing this time for both sides to reach a compromise.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/08/18/nextgen...d.ap/index.html

5 years ago 2600 put out the warning, still it will happen.

[​IMG]

2. villain

villain Veteran Member

This is going to wreak havoc on the DVD industry for a while, since consumers are going to most likely sit out till a winner is decided, but I'm thinking blu-ray has already won this dispute since it will be shipped with the PS3.

3. I know, this is seriously fucked. I've become quite an aficionado lately of the home theater experience and have been holding out on buying a nice big screen HDTV until the next generation DVDs come out (current DVDs look like shit on HDTVs now, all compressed and artifact-ridden), and now this shit is gonna happen and I'm not gonna know what the fuck to get. So far I'm leaning towards Blu-Ray cause it seems superior tech-wise, but I'm wary of Sony's usual dickery about their propietary formats. Also, Betamax cassettes were superior to VHS, and look where those ended up.

4. SF1

SF1 Elite Member

Fuck DVD's. They're garbage. Word the fuck up. if you handle them with any less regard as you would plutonium they get scratched and are useless. I litterally have never rented one that wasn't so fucked that I couldn't watch it and too often even if I buy a brand new one it doesn't even play in my shit or is already scratched just from coming loose and bouncing around in it's case during shipping before it ever reached the store. I have never had this problem with VHS, in fact I still have VHS tapes and cassette tapes that are well over 10 years old that still work perfectly fine and I have yet to have a DVD or CD last more than a couple years and I actually take care of my shit too and make an effort to keep them in their case and not to leave the shit laying around to get scratched. Infact when I buy a CD (since you can't even get cassetes anymore) I have to buy blank tapes and record them the first time I listen to them before they get all fucked up (and sometimes they're already fucked up and jump around the first time listening).

And is there really that much of a difference in the picture between a DVD and VHS? I for one can't notice any difference.

DVD's and CD's are a waist of money. These companies lie and say they're so superior and what not so they can make money off peoples stupidity.

And now we gotta go out and buy mad different types of DVD players to have ONE that will play the fucking movie!?!?

Fuck DVD's and CD's. :tongue:

5. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

What about the extras only available on DVD? the commentary! oh the commentary!

Fuck dvds, cds are cool, because you can burn shit onto them. And skip tracks and shit. Cassettes you have rewind and fast forward. I still have one of those by the way. I still be knocking my shit.

6. Dawood

Dawood Elite Member

Sorry, nothing to say. I don't even own a TV.

7. fermentor666

Actually, Mams, I used the VHS vs. Betamax arguement in a discussion completely unrelated to this one and learned that many video professionals use Betamax still. Apparently there are some very high-end Betamax machines still being produced for this niche market.

And DVDs are very much superior to cassettes in both picture and sound quality. What's disturbing about this story is not which tech are we going to choose, but the fact that we have to choose a tech. Fuck these corporate bastards taking advantage of our consumer whorism.

8. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

wrong.
    that's not the case at all.
    'Betamax' as a format is dead. 'Betacam' is alive for the moment.

Let me give you the timeline;

First came 'betacam' tapes and player/recorders.
    They were used by news people to replace the extremely
    large and junky '3/4 (inch) tape also known as U-Matic.
    U-Matic made by far the best graffiti stickers on the planet.

A home version of betacam was introduced called 'betamax'. It's dead.
    Betacam got updated to 'BetacamSP' and it's currently the analog tape
    standard. Sony introduced 'Digital Betacam' and it's the digital delivery
    standard today untill the broadcasters can agree on a set format for HD.
    There's a Sony HDCAM tape, but with the intoduction of MiniDV, there's
    a ton of new formats trying to get to the top. I deal with this daily.

[​IMG]
    ^ Dead

[​IMG]
    ^ soon to be dead, but still hanging in there

[​IMG]
    ^ current standard.

[​IMG]
    ^ the HD future standard (that I'm betting on)

9. fermentor666

Right, but it's still the same technology as Betamax in a sense, right? That's what I meant.

10. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

not really. You're right that it sort of still exists in a different format, but it's never called betamax.

let me illustrate with pictures.

[​IMG]
    ^ betamax

[​IMG]
    ^ betacam

[​IMG]
    ^ digital betacam

11. Right, Rummypunch explained it. The whole Beta-tech IS used today still in the professional industry, but that's techincally a niche market. What I meant to say is that even if the product quality was better, that didn't mean widespread user adoption over the lower-quality format.

12. fermentor666

Yeah, I got that, I was just throwing it out there as a sidefact, "the more you know..." that sort of thing.

13. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

and now we all know more! And knowing is half the battle!

mid-life crisis? transformers AND GI Joe? yikes!

14. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

and I dont know if the broadcast market is really 'niche' to companies like sony and panasonic.
    Firugre a digital betacam recorder costs $80G and a 60 miute tape costs $100.
    You have to sell a lot of $250 vcrs to make up for it.

I wouldn't call it a niche market, more a specialty market.

just like how Chrysler owns Mercedes

15. Yeah, "specialty market" is the correct term. Just like pro software, which costs a shitload cause they have to sell to few people.