ONE TERABYTE OF KILOBYTE AGE - web1.0 net art archive (geocities/angelfire)

KILZ FILLZ

https://anthology.rhizome.org/one-terabyte-of-kilobyte-age

WHOS YA BOY!!!

CA110FBB-3D9F-4551-974D-4473800D70E7.gif.4f72f90975d68c4cbc8b767833934b1b.gif

let this be a lesson that all things online come to an end. We need to enjoy our time here on teh oontz while we still have it. 

forums/image boards are archaic and we are lucky to have a place to hang and relate. Sadly, eventually, this will probably be gone too - and I know I will miss it dearly. 

i heard about this site today and it’s a nice cozy piece of nostalgia for me. Way back in AOL times, i had a geocities page that I set up for some dumb reason (and never used for anything). 

Old school webpages like that with yellow text on green backgrounds, with all sorts of wild 16-bit .GIF were the standard, and this site is trying to archive that. 

i miss that era of the internet. Way fucking back in the day, in AOL private chatrooms (PR) trading graf flicks with randoms online. 

just talking shit, with no boundaries. You could say anything. It was great and I hope we retvrn to the internet being the Wild West again at some point, but I don’t think it ever will

does anyone remember AOL “pr0gz” ? 

Simple programs created in the Visual Basic (VB) programming language that could perform functions in AOL chat rooms. They were free to download and hosted as .ZIP files on a couple sites. My favorites were LensHell.com and Tribulation2K.com. They were made just for fun and posted for free. No money involved.

I mostly fucked with the .MP3 players. You could enter a command in chat, the pr0g would execute, and the Muzak would happen. I forget what they were, but there would be a command for like “play a random track”, “play a random track by this artist”, “play this specific track”, fast forward … et all. The pr0gz were customizable so the results would post in the chat in different font and colors. 

at that time rainbow comic sans was the jam, as funny and lame as that sounds. 

there were also password crackers, idlers for while your password cracker was running in the chat (you’d get kicked from AOL chatrooms for inactivity after a while) and all sorts of pr0gz for fucking with people.. trolling now. I remember one that would bomb them with like hundreds of different DMs until they logged off

take me back, baby

• Like 4
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 3/9/2023 at 5:08 PM, nicklesndimes said:

haha thinking of punters makes me laugh at my teenage self upstairs kicking innocent people out of aol chat rooms. good times, funny teenager phase. lol

i would never use the phishing tool, though, that was not cool in our house.

Do you remember Methodus Toolz?

https://justinakapaste.com/methodus-toolz/

• Like 1