need advice

KILZ FILLZ

Any advice for how to question my boss’ boss on why he is constricting established schedules? So far all I got is asking so I can understand why I’m pushing it down, so I can explain if asked. 

Wildly aggressive dates are becoming the norm and it’s burning my people out. Quality will slide. 

boogiehands 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
13 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

From my experience in those kind of situations they’ll just bullshit you. I feel like it’s better to say it’s too much than to figure out why they’re doing it. 

That’s unfortunate. I respect this guy and like working for him. We have a candid relationship.

gotta believe there’s a method to his madness. But maybe I’m wrong, and he falls into my belief of the world as whole, and he’s simply just trying his best. I am hoping there is a bigger logic behind the crazy schedules. Mechanics aren’t robots. 

1 minute ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

I am more specifically asking for advice on how to enter and navigate this convo

I get you.  The first part was a joke referring to the time in the other thread.  The answering your own question- you respect dude, like working for him, you have a candid relationship.  Approach like that and ask.  Or for the military references you've made, approach like it's your commanding officer.

• Truth 1

2 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

I get you.  The first part was a joke referring to the time in the other thread.  The answering your own question- you respect dude, like working for him, you have a candid relationship.  Approach like that and ask.  Or for the military references you've made, approach like it's your commanding officer.

Thank you for explaining I get it now. And also thank you for your advice too.

My approach so far would be to speak candidly but I’ve always been taught not to question your boss or whatever, but at my core I’m just really not a ‘yes man’ and I need to look out for my people. I want to take care of them and the crazy schedules are gonna burn them out and make them vulnerable to quality escapes. 

i guess being able to talk this out is also helping me articulate my argument. Thank you for that too

I wish I had something helpful to add. I'm very straight forward and can be rather abrasive in a professional setting. I never learned the art of being tactful. 

If you do have a good relationship with the guy and you do respect him, you might broach the conversation by telling him something like "I feel like I'm going to let you down with these advanced deadlines. I don't want to let you down."

Make it more about his and your relationship to ease into the why's of the situation.

• Like 1

I guess I'd add that before arguing the point I'd try to understand his reason, as there may be a sensible explanation.  But @Dark_Knightcould also be right, sometimes you don't get a fitting explanation.  Made me think that at the place I'm at the head of the organization is working on some changes and surprises that the rest of the place is not privy to right now for a number of good reasons.

• Like 1

I would voice your concern on behalf of your people, but not push it too hard since I’m sure he/they have their reasons related to their bigger picture. Always attempt to stand up and take action for your people.

Shit gets weird when it comes to military time. At my last job, I was dealing with a retired general and colonel regularly. We had a very “candid” friendly relationship for years. I ended up voicing concerns and questioning some of their decisions based on our relationship and found our thought process about chain of command and rank to be radically different. I decided to resign.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I wish I had something helpful to add. I'm very straight forward and can be rather abrasive in a professional setting. I never learned the art of being tactful. 

If you do have a good relationship with the guy and you do respect him, you might broach the conversation by telling him something like "I feel like I'm going to let you down with these advanced deadlines. I don't want to let you down."

Make it more about his and your relationship to ease into the why's of the situation.

That’s really good advice too. Thank you man

• Like 1