Texas Senate Bill 147

ndv

I am for this bill for multiple reasons.  A few being the sovereignty of a nation.  If this bill were not to pass then there is a good chance imminent domain over reach in the future could be a side effect devastating legal citizens  even further more without any due process all in the name of national security. dirty politics in other words.  

In a hypothetical scenario if another country was buying up massive amounts of land and these lands have natural resources and the seller where offered enough money to sell the mineral rights with the land.  Then I can see a lot of potential harm to local economies for example drilling rights tougher to acquire which in deeper thought for example China/Russia would love this because would just export their recourses.  Win-Win.

However, I do not know why this has become an issue in the past couple days because there are Federal Laws that govern who can purchase specific types of properties/ranches/recourses anyhow.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2023/01/20/local-officials-speak-out-against-racist-bill-banning-citizens-businesses-from-china-iran-north-korea-russia-from-purchasing-land-in-texas/  

Anyhow, Waggoner Ranch was for sale several years ago with the HAR listing describing some type Title Clause relating to a federal law governing the ranch(s) and certain types of properties could not be sold to foreign entities/non us citizens.

With that being said, I don't know why a few politicians are panties-in-a-wad over this bill other than another attempt to squawk box. 

California does the same.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220SB1084

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/faith-freedom-self-reliance/california-farmlands-sale-foreign-governments

There are plenty of other states that have passed or been introduced to similar bills.  And it makes complete sense.

Anyone who screams racists or has an objective opinion in reference to these bills is an idiot and doesn't understand how business works.  They do not truly understand the consequences if they were to sell material/mineral rights to their competitor.  lolz...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...

Probably not the same, but in rural Oregon, especially near Bend, the amount of land being bought by weed growers has been wild. I admit I haven't read a lot about it but a few years back I stayed in a small town called Tumalo, just outside of Bend, and I was hanging out at a bar drowning my feelings after a 30 mile mountain bike race I crashed twice in (therefore finished poorly in after months of training) and I got to talking to a couple locals who've lived in the area since they were kids. They were telling me how people are driving onto folks land, knocking on their doors and offering millions in cash for their acreage because the region is perfect for growing. So of course these tired, old timers are selling their lands for double or triple their value and weed production in the area has skyrocketed. This has led to issues with traffic, odor from cultivation (which seems silly considering any rural farm is going to have odor), issues with grow lighting, etc.. 

After the chat I did a little research but there wasn't a ton of information out there at the time. Since then there's been a lot of legislation happening and folks never interested in politics now running for seats who are either pro or anti marijuana growing. I've no idea if any of the folks buying up land are corporations or just all small businesses trying to grow (pun intended) their business. Either way, it's kind of interesting. 

• Like 2

That's interesting.  Wish I owned massive amounts of land there,  would be doing pretty good right now.  Sell your land for millions, invest in grow ops, make more millions, buy more land, start a grow op and make more millions.   Doesn't sound that bad considering somebody walked up to my door and paid for it all.   

True. I mean, if some "kid" walked up to my door and offered me a ridiculous amount of money for my land I would sell it, too. From talking to those fellas it sounds like everyone in the small town isn't too happy with how the influx of growers has changed their quiet, sleepy town. Unfortunately... that's growth in any town. 

• Truth 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Republicans are fed up with democratic prosecutors being a soften crime and not charging some of these criminals so to keep their conservative presence strong they want to hold these softies accountable.  I guess it's kinda like clocking in and not doing your job. 

It's probably one of those things were the full story isn't told and someone noticed petty crime cost too much for the punishment and Republicans are crying at every angle to keep themselves relevant to a state that is purple and give it a few more years and it will be more blue.