Solarwinds HQ raided in Austin, TX

Dirty_habiT

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/12/breaking-fbi-texas-rangers-us-marshals-raid-solarwinds-hq-austin/

"Last night the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) issued a rare Emergency Directive 21-01, in response to a KNOWN COMPROMISE involving SolarWinds Orion products. This was only the fifth Emergency Directive issued by CISA under the authorities granted by Congress in the Cybersecurity Act of 2015. CISA reported a breach of the SolarWinds Orion…"

Discussion from some of my security/computer science friends related:

So the government's entire infrastructure has been compromised.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

US Treasury

Dept Homeland Security

Dept of Def

State Dept

Natl Institute of Health (wild card?)

Dept of Commerce 

McAfee saying also hit:

UK

China

Germany

France

Australia

India

Spain

Ireland 

Italy 

Turkey

Netherlands

Singapore 

Saudi Arabia

Columbia

Finland

Israel

Peru

Thailand 

this is massive 😳

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-55318815

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/lp/insights-preview.html#

I was just explaining zero-day vulnerabilities in the "professional advice" thread yesterday.

This is where the rubber meets the road everyone.  This solarwinds thing wasn't just "found" the other day.  Someone, perhaps many people, or groups, were exploiting the snot out of this prior to it becoming public.

• Truth 1

https://justthenews.com/government/security/pentagon-imposed-emergency-shutdown-computer-network-handling-classified

https://web.archive.org/web/20190714085412/https://www.solarwinds.com/company/customers

SolarWinds’ Customers

SolarWinds’ comprehensive products and services are used by more than 275,000 customers worldwide, including military, Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and education institutions. Our customer list includes:

• More than 425 of the US Fortune 500
  • All ten of the top ten US telecommunications companies
  • All five branches of the US Military
  • The US Pentagon, State Department, NASA, NSA, Postal Service, NOAA, Department of Justice, and the Office of the President of the United States
  • All five of the top five US accounting firms
  • Hundreds of universities and colleges worldwide

Partial customer listing:

Acxiom
Ameritrade
AT&T;
Bellsouth Telecommunications
Best Western Intl.
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Booz Allen Hamilton
Boston Consulting
Cable & Wireless
Cablecom Media AG
Cablevision
CBS
Charter Communications
Cisco
CitiFinancial
City of Nashville
City of Tampa
Clemson University
Comcast Cable
Credit Suisse
Dow Chemical
EMC Corporation
Ericsson
Ernst and Young
Faurecia
Federal Express
Federal Reserve Bank
Fibercloud
Fiserv
Ford Motor Company
Foundstone
Gartner
Gates Foundation

General Dynamics
Gillette Deutschland GmbH
GTE
H&R; Block
Harvard University
Hertz Corporation
ING Direct
IntelSat
J.D. Byrider
Johns Hopkins University
Kennedy Space Center
Kodak
Korea Telecom
Leggett and Platt
Level 3 Communications
Liz Claiborne
Lockheed Martin
Lucent
MasterCard
McDonald’s Restaurants
Microsoft
National Park Service
NCR
NEC
Nestle
New York Power Authority
New York Times
Nielsen Media Research
Nortel
Perot Systems Japan
Phillips Petroleum
Pricewaterhouse Coopers
Procter & Gamble

Sabre
Saks
San Francisco Intl. Airport
Siemens
Smart City Networks
Smith Barney
Smithsonian Institute
Sparkasse Hagen
Sprint
St. John’s University
Staples
Subaru
Supervalu
Swisscom AG
Symantec
Telecom Italia
Telenor
Texaco
The CDC
The Economist
Time Warner Cable
U.S. Air Force
University of Alaska
University of Kansas
University of Oklahoma
US Dept. Of Defense
US Postal Service
US Secret Service
Visa USA
Volvo
Williams Communications
Yahoo

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 9.01.43 AM.png

You know what though, now that I think about it, yes selling off your stock knowing that the price would drop is illegal af.... but these guys just "took their cash" and will stash it.  That 280M is already spread out or put in some spot where it cannot be easily taken from them.  It only makes sense.  They're probably sitting around waiting for the feds to come knocking on their doors knowing that when it's all ironed out they'll still have most of their money they took.

Me personally, I'm not so much against "insider trading" as broad as the SEC's definition goes myself. Having advanced knowledge, or a belief an investment will go up, or down is exactly what everyone investing is exploiting. How specific that knowledge is is really of no consequence because somebody is already going to lose money. The situation's morality, legality, or NAP compliance should be decided using the same framework used to decide if a transaction is fraudulent. So some insider trading is a violation, and some isn't.

My problem is this type of trading activity is so common, and difficult to prove, it's only a good tool for going after people who get caught slipping. Kind of a waste of enforcement effort, like if only 1 out of 1000 speeders gets a ticket. Nobody gives a fuck and just makes sure they don't get caught. Another reason decentralized (free market) finance systems are far superior to regulated markets. Decentralized finance isn't bent by regulatory distortion and reflects a market reality based in real world conditions.

On 12/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, Mercer said:

Me personally, I'm not so much against "insider trading" as broad as the SEC's definition goes myself. Having advanced knowledge, or a belief an investment will go up, or down is exactly what everyone investing is exploiting. How specific that knowledge is is really of no consequence because somebody is already going to lose money. The situation's morality, legality, or NAP compliance should be decided using the same framework used to decide if a transaction is fraudulent. So some insider trading is a violation, and some isn't.

My problem is this type of trading activity is so common, and difficult to prove, it's only a good tool for going after people who get caught slipping. Kind of a waste of enforcement effort, like if only 1 out of 1000 speeders gets a ticket. Nobody gives a fuck and just makes sure they don't get caught. Another reason decentralized (free market) finance systems are far superior to regulated markets. Decentralized finance isn't bent by regulatory distortion and reflects a market reality based in real world conditions.

i've legitimately never heard this argued before and... kinda agree? mercer you're radicalizing me

Edited by Elena Delle Donne
  • Like 1