Armed Forces Photo Appreciation Thread

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is the canine vest worn during the famous DEVGRU (Seal Team 6) raid on Bin Laden's compound in Pakistan. It still has a bullet hole in it, and blood from when Cairo was shot in a previous raid.

BTW Cairo survived the raid, and died a natural death years later after his service. The vest is now on display the 911 memorial museum in lower Manhattan.

image.thumb.png.1bdae4c86881889783eda14ecfd68b5a.png

• Props 2

22 hours ago, Mercer said:

US Army Green Berets in Afghanistan:

image.thumb.png.04b0ba5bbcb18f380f95ea962c502c9c.png

@Hua Guofanghua- did you say you were an LMG guy? Maybe someone else? What would the benefit of collapsible stock be on an LMG? I don’t imagine length of pull is a huge concern because you’re not going to be clearing rooms, right? Would shedding any weight possible the driver? ounces = pounds and pounds = pain etc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

@Hua Guofanghua- did you say you were an LMG guy? Maybe someone else? What would the benefit of collapsible stock be on an LMG? I don’t imagine length of pull is a huge concern because you’re not going to be clearing rooms, right? Would shedding any weight possible the driver? ounces = pounds and pounds = pain etc

I can’t speak for other units but as an airborne unit we used folding stocks and carbines to reduce size and weight given that as you exit the aircraft al your kit is strapped to your body and the more weight you carry the harder you land. 

secondly, after your insert you carry everything on the man. You don’t have vehicles, so you hump the lot. The more weight you lose the more maneuverable you are or the more ammo you can carry. 

I’d say that mech infantry, airborne cav and other soldiers that are in and out of tight spaces have similar reasons to reduce size and weight.