Whoa, Dude, Are We Inside a Computer Right Now? - VICE

vanfullofretards

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
come on man u never thought of this when u were on the tumbleweedz?

Did you read the interview br0?

"It’s an idea that every college student with a gravity bong and The Matrix on DVD has thought of before"

But it goes on to give perhaps some truth to this idea" :eek:

btw that "What the Bleep Do We Know" movie is really misleading

Right now the fastest NASA supercomputers are cranking away at about double the speed of the human brain. If you make a simple calculation using Moore’s Law, you’ll find that these supercomputers, inside of a decade, will have the ability to compute an entire human lifetime of 80 years—including every thought ever conceived during that lifetime—in the span of a month.

That’s depressing.

Now brace yourself: In 30 years we expect that a PlayStation—they come out with a new PlayStation every six to eight years, so this would be a PlayStation 7—will be able to compute about 10,000 human lifetimes simultaneously in real time, or about a human lifetime in an hour.

There’s how many PlayStations worldwide? More than 100 million, certainly. So think of 100 million consoles, each one containing 10,000 humans. That means, by that time, conceptually, you could have more humans living in PlayStations than you have humans living on earth today.

So there’s a possibility we’re living in a super advanced game in some bloodshot-eyed goober’s PlayStation right now?

Exactly.

"As scientists, we put physical processes into mathematical frameworks, or into an equation. The universe behaves in a very peculiar way because it follows mathematics. Einstein said, “The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it’s comprehensible.” The universe does not have to work that way. It does not have to be so easy to abbreviate that I can basically write down a few pages of equations that contain enough information to simulate it."

Okay, I'm done.

If you apes aren't intrigued yet, I give up.

what exactly would be the purpose of computing a lifetime? is this strictly for use in video games or is there a real world application?

computers will one day completely make the human obsolete in terms of work so the human race will be able to lounge and laze about all day?

ill be over 100 if still alive, not going to get all concerned today

So there’s a possibility we’re living in a super advanced game in some bloodshot-eyed goober’s PlayStation right now?

Exactly.

My character keeps getting drunk and high..

And fuck the future PS player who is putting rust on my Caddy's tailfins.. Srsly.

Also this would be a great defense "Your Honor. Clearly you can see the future SIMS player has arranged my client to rape and kill that woman. We can only hope the player be brought to justice when available."

• Like 1

what exactly would be the purpose of computing a lifetime? is this strictly for use in video games or is there a real world application?

I think it's just a measurement. Like this computer has a 3 GHz processor. So it makes so many decisions per second.

Soon a processor will have the same processing speed as the human brain (which is pretty fast considering sight, spacial awareness, muscle movements, involuntary body functions, thought, speech, memory etc).

Possibly in 30 years a computer could process every decision a human brain makes over the period of an average lifetime in an hour.

It's also been thought that one day a computer will be able to process as much as all the decisions every human brain has ever made within a small period of time.

I have no idea why we'd need this. But MS Access will load very fast.

These guys are involved with pushing the limit of processing power. Also a customer.

cray_logo.jpg

I think it's just a measurement. Like this computer has a 3 GHz processor. So it makes so many decisions per second.

Soon a processor will have the same processing speed as the human brain (which is pretty fast considering sight, spacial awareness, muscle movements, involuntary body functions, thought, speech, memory etc).

Possibly in 30 years a computer could process every decision a human brain makes over the period of an average lifetime in an hour.

It's also been thought that one day a computer will be able to process as much as all the decisions every human brain has ever made within a small period of time.

I have no idea why we'd need this. But MS Access will load very fast.

These guys are involved with pushing the limit of processing power. Also a customer.

cray_logo.jpg

Once we hit the biological computers, which we already have a good start on, things are going to get super fucking futuristic.

http://www.scripps.edu/news/press/2012/20120207keinan.html

• Like 1