RIP Thomas Kinkade

CALIgula

He has a gallery in every local mall. He was not an artist, he was a famous craftsman and entrepreneur who made hollow, meaningless, lowest-common-denominator paintings that appeal to people who don't understand that art is supposed to actually say something; the visual equivalent of a lifetime movie or a Danielle Steele novel.

/thread

seriously. you can't counter this.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
He has a gallery in every local mall. He was not an artist, he was a famous craftsman and entrepreneur who made hollow, meaningless, lowest-common-denominator paintings that appeal to people who don't understand that art is supposed to actually say something; the visual equivalent of a lifetime movie or a Danielle Steele novel.

Raight orn.

I become incandescent with anger whenever I stroll past and happen to catch a glimpse of any airbrushed barber shop portraits. What are they trying to convey? They're devoid of any perceptable nuances.. what relevance does a fuckin' French crop or a flaptop have to do with the inquiry into Marxism? Do values of a bygone era successfully transcend into a kitsch self-indulgent observation of somebody's countenance and hairstyle? No. Of course not. Art isn't subjective, and that's a fact, in my opinion.

Raight orn.

I become incandescent with anger whenever I stroll past and happen to catch a glimpse of any airbrushed barber shop portraits. What are they trying to convey?

Apples and oranges, and it was his own choice. Thomas Kinkade billed himself as a fine artist, the "painter of light"- not as a sign painter, illustrator, or airbrush barber shop painter; in doing so he opened himself up to criticism as such. Painter of light? You know who painted light? Vermeer painted light. Monet painted light. Van Gogh did it, John Singer Sargent, even Edward Hopper painted light. What Kinkade did was valueless, talentless kitsch.