Ordering thangs from China - gon get raped?

nsmbfan

I had a good experience with Alibaba. I took a risk in ordering 2500 custom made 'mirror socks' at $1.45/ea from a supplier in China whom I paid via wire transfer. I got them and they looked good. Not bad considering she could of kept my money and I'd have no recourse.

Unfortunatly almost all of them are sitting in my basement.. FML.

puerto%20rico%20flag.JPG

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good experience with Alibaba. I took a risk in ordering 2500 custom made 'mirror socks' at $1.45/ea from a supplier in China whom I paid via wire

Unfortunatly almost all of them are sitting in my basement.. FML.

puerto%20rico%20flag.JPG

NEW USES FOR OLD NEW OLD MIRROR SOCKS

old%20mirror%20sock%20idea2.jpg

what was your ideal retail price for these? also, you set up shop at the NYC PR parade? :confused:

At first I thought $11.99 retail would be good since that's what others in the US were selling then for on ebay. I would sell them to retailers for ~$6ea for 25 pairs. This was around Christmas of 2010. Instead a couple stores offered to put them on consignment at $4 for each sold. One store put a retail price of $7 and only sold 2. I took the rest back. Later one guy at the flea market bought 20 at $4ea. When I want back to sell him more he said no one was interested in them.

I eventually gave up trying to go through retail and have been having a good time giving them away to some and asking others for like $6.. When one-on-one with people showing them the product, they're usually thinks it a great idea.

So yeah... I fucked up. I thought they would be a slam here in the city.

Reason #1 why I thought it would be a good idea

I have never seen or heard of these mirror socks before.

Reason #2 why I thought it would be a good idea

Why do Ricans hang CD's (* or hanging flags, or little boxing gloves with flag graphics) from their rear-view mirrors?

Also, $1.45/ea for those Rican spandex?! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiet.

What's worse is that's about what they go for on ebay now. I put a few on ebay for $2.00 which is my breakeven price with shipping, import tax and printed hanger cards for the bag. Does not even include all the time I spent stapling the hangers to the bags. Not one sold.

I'll take $1.45 per pair. I got others!

dominican%20flag.JPG

guatemala%20flag.JPG

mexico%20flag.JPG

I see where you went wrong...no USA socks?!

car-mirror-socks-american-flag.jpg

I just can't see the sustained demand for these things. But I would def hit the different cultural events for each country you got like IR said.

Any good stories about the import tax or customs? Or was it all pretty straight forward?

That's what my buddies and everyone at work said. :o

* You're probably right about sustained demand. I was hoping it was going to be a fad and I was going to make some $$. Since then these like family stickers that people put in their back windows have sold like crazy. I was hoping it would be like that.

Customs was pretty easy. All 200lbs were shipped UPS. I gave the seller my phone number. When they reached Newark airport, a person from UPS called to verify who I was and required my business tax id number (TIN). When UPS arrived I gave them a check for duty.

I got these:

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Nissan-Plastic-Push-Clips-Fender-liners-Splash-Shield-20-pack-CLVRCLIP.htm

$18/20 here

Or

~$3/20 China

I bet I could sell those mirror bras if t they have Mexican or Filipino flags

Or the Pacquiao logo

or a rooster

Or a cowboy hat and boots on them

Paisas and flips decorate the fuck out of their cars.