Aesop Rock

Daddy Screw

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, his wordplay is baffling at times. sometimes i think he's not even saying anything with it, just saying all these exotic and academic terms without any underlying point or story, which results in people like me relentlessly searching for substance in his material.

(can't that be a valid way of working? does it have to make sense?)

definitely flashes of it though.

wutt

KimJungilla:

That's ALL he does

he just takes a bunch of words from the rhyming thesaurus and strings them together, then coffee house retards listen to his gimmicky bullshit and try and figure out the significance. It's like trying to find meaning in a fucking word jumble in the Sunday paper.

is that who his main fanbase is? (i don't have a clue, never been to America)

i don't think its actually that simple...i think there is meaning and there isn't. he's describing life most of the time, a lot of which often doesn't make sense, or carries no meaning at the time its experienced.

MrChupacabra:

I'll take Cage over Aesop Rock any day. Granted, anything Cage did after Movies For the Blind is awful, but he's still got Leak Bros, the Conspiracy mixtape, Nighthawks, etc, where as Aesop Rock has what, Float? Labor Days? fucking garbage.

i like Fast Cars, Danger, Fire & Knives, and some of the singles, like Tomorrow Morning and Facemelter. he definitely isn't consistently good, but occasionally, he sounds right. gonna check that Leak Bros thing now.

opinions are like assholes

Theres nothing objectionable or agreeable

about aesop rock. It is what it is.

yeah i know. i spose i just wanted a general ch0/NYC/American consensus on this topic.

Boris The Butcher

Aesop Rock is garbage....faggot music.

how did you reach that conclusion?

see, i can already guess what this lp/mixtape/movie is gonna be about. same old washed out concepts about selling cocaine/wanting to be scarface, that ghost, rae, big and a few others did better than anyone else, back in the golden era.

how is this going to improve my way of life/thinking?

ill still listen to it though, like a bit of ignant hip hop.