Game: Opinions are like kittens, and you're giving them away

earl broclo ESQ

first and foremost, i've been drinking sake and smoking, so hopefully this isn't a fucking yes/homo failboat "tits or gtfo" emo thread. but seeing as people like to talk art, artists, art history, and mediums, i figured we can all learn, inspire, educate, but even better, piss on anything with our opinions.

simple rules:

1. an artist (any kind, even graffiti) is posted, with examples if possible.

2. after that, you state your YES.....NO....OR.....ON THE FENCE type the answer in bold so it's seen.

3. with your answer, give a reason for that answer. try and be a little more descriptive than "he's a fucking cocksucker" or "fuck that, i hate hipster art fags."

4. after 10 or whatever votes, the last person to answer, or someone else, can post an artist.

5. keep the hate alive in good humor only. remember, opinions are like assholes....

easy enough. and they don't have to be strictly followed.

so i'm going to start this off with someone i hear mixed feelings on:

David Kinsey (aka. bust) (aaka. the dude who's artwork is all over rob & big) (aaaka. http://www.kinseyvisual.com)

kinsey_3.jpg

dave-kinsey-art-05.jpg

kinsey-room-2.jpg

504.jpg

27.jpg

i know some people on here, hate this dude. feel free to state your shit, it's your opinion. for those that like this guy, say so, who gives a fuck, it's your opinion.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've met him before

he was not very chill with chatting it up seemed to be in a rush or something at his own show

jeff soto was much more talkative and genuine at that show hes a cool dude

I dont know how I feel about his art, I dont love it but its cool I guess

I'd say yes, based on the last three pieces alone. Very nice, love seeing some negative stuff happening.

Can't say I know him on a personal level though, like the person above, but I don't think that should skew your perception of their work. I'm judging on a purely aesthetic view alone.

gay

not feeling dude at all. he's always struck me as a twist/doze/fairey/generic juxtapoze rip off.

uninspiring, boring bullshit. he's 'cool' because he's in the 'scene', but seriously, has dude ever done anything that ever made anyone 'feel' anything? it makes me feel like i want to sleep. it's like a giant ambien, minus the awesome part before i sleep where i feel like im on acid. he makes me feel like im on a deserted island and there are 9 hours till my boat comes back.

i wish people like him were forced to stop making art.

I'm judging on a purely aesthetic view alone.

if I were to try to do that I would dislike his work because of the way he acted when I saw him

I cant just look at his art because his attitude always comes to mind

so yeah I dont like him as an artist or a person

ok next person

i'll play...

so last weekend randomly went to this shit..

skinny store art shows are wack as fuck, but someone had the good sense to hordack the flyer up

tidesofmarch_frontweb2.jpg

hordak on a scooter with a wolf. shits is bang.

(i'm none of them artists or could care less)

anyhowitzer.

damien loeb

like or hate?

i personally dig.

he's done some cool shit throughout the years and some not so cool shit as well.

but, feeling realist paintings lately so whatever...

noticeschool-large.jpg

goodafternoonmramer-large.jpg

greatexpectations-large.jpg

fleshandblood-large.jpg

scream-large.jpg

these aint even the pics i wanted to post, so i'm gonna get back to the guinness and find some shit..

have fun

On Kinsey

Nope

He's been around to do his thing and some of the middle pieces are alot better than his traditional style. But he just doesnt say much to me. From a design point of view i hate to say this but if your gonna be a design artists why paint on a canvas. Great design artists are held at high esteem after decades of work and as a designer they break through with there overall lifework.

I like illustrative work just as much as the next guy, but you really have to honor what it is you do. Painting is a process, and most the time the only reason why we relate to these artists like kinsey cause its our culture. But they really wont stand the test of time.

damien loeb

Respect his craft

But without seeing his work in person i dont like to judge realist painters. his themes are ok, but i really dont care for them as they are on the screen. If in person they grabbed me maybe.

His name reminded me of this guys work

Leon Golub

EXPRESS_Beattie_golub_2.jpg

artwork_images_373_200247_leon-golub.jpg

Leon_Golub1.jpg

kinsey just sucks.

end of story.

i like that loeb guy i suppose. like poesia, i respect the technique. the images themselves dont do a lot for me though. the way i figure it, is if you can do very realistic paintings, why paint normal shit that might as well be a photo? if you're not going to manipulate things or create a world that could not exist in ours, what's the point? or at the very least, you should depict a very emotional scene. i dont dislike the guy, i just think you could do more with an ability like that.

• 2 weeks later...