Joe Horn and the castle laws

shitting

this has been popping up abit in the Australian media and all I really want to say is that Horn deserves to be charged and that the so called castle laws are insane

If someones breaks and enters into your property you can legally shoot them dead without having to prove that you were threatened? crazy.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The point is that its now legal in 14 (I think it was 14) states to kill someone who trespasses inside your house despite whether they pose any threat to you. This means that unarmed 14 year old kids will be legally killed because they have been brought up in bad situations and wanted to rob a necklace. Maybe your ok with living in a country that allows this but I sure as hell wouldn't be. Someone please let me know if I misconstrued the article in the UK's Guardian weekly and the Sydney Morning Herald. This is certainly what they appeared to say. I find this fairly appalling.

oh and angel of death, please don't irrittate me with posts lacking in any semblance of intelligence. Thanks dude

Lets put it this way...

Would burglars be more or less willing to break into a house if there was no such law? Would juveniles be more or less ignorant to the law if their life was in jeopardy, every time they broke into a house, rather than just their freedom?

Have you had your home robbed by an armed assailant? I have, and every time I think of it I wish I had a gun instead of a phone. And thats that brothaaa

The point is that its now legal in 14 (I think it was 14) states to kill someone who trespasses inside your house despite whether they pose any threat to you. This means that unarmed 14 year old kids will be legally killed because they have been brought up in bad situations and wanted to rob a necklace. Maybe your ok with living in a country that allows this but I sure as hell wouldn't be. Someone please let me know if I misconstrued the article in the UK's Guardian weekly and the Sydney Morning Herald. This is certainly what they appeared to say. I find this fairly appalling.

oh and angel of death, please don't irrittate me with posts lacking in any semblance of intelligence. Thanks dude

the question is... what the fuck is someone doing in your house?

all these 'evil' laws mean, is dont go in someones house uninvited.

sorry, but if someone is in my house at 3 am that isnt supposed to be... its the combat triad for them.

Lets put it this way...

Have you had your home robbed by an armed assailant? I have, and every time I think of it I wish I had a gun instead of a phone. And thats that brothaaa

Yes i have... but if someone holds a weapon on you. that is threatening your life and there is has nothing to do with what we are talking about

I guess you guys aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. These 'castle laws' essentially permit summary executions of intruders under any circumstances; including if they are clearly unarmed, retreating, young and defenceless.

get it throught your fucking heads.

there is the shooter's version and the writer's version of what he was trying to do before he got shot.

still the version of the shooter is that he was trying to break into a building. not his house. could have been he lived there and forgot his keys, so it was wrong to react like that, the shooter did go over the limit.

tie was 5' 5'', 90 pounds and got a shot in the BACK of his head.

if a kid(16yrs old down) breaks into my house i wouldnt shoot him, i'll let him slide and go talk to his parents.

17 , 18, tide them up and call 5-0(if they are unarmed)

Some of you have no respect for the dead - leave the dude out of our petty arguments.

If any person is actually in my house, he is a threat to my personal security. If you wake up in the middle of the night and find someone in your room it is not your responsibility to assess to what degree you are threatened. The person breaking in should be on the defensive and the law should protect that. I'm liberal as they come, but the 'poor me' excuse is done.

im not sure if im in total agreement with what horn did. i would think twice about shooting someone just on my property. his case was however that the perp was coming towards him, with a crow bar, and was on his property. if you research this some, you'll find that most courts have rulings saying that lethal force was justified if someone had a knife and is 20 feet away. (dont quote me on that distance, but i could check it out if someone really wanted to know, i do know it did seem a tad far)

but what you have to realize is that it is not about killing someone, it is about stopping a threat to your life. sorry, but if someone is in your house at 3 am and its dark (most people arent capable of putting on night vision and using ir illuminators) its hard to tell what the guy is up to. all this law does is tilt the law toward the victim and not toward the aggressor.

Just because you can doesnt mean people actually will shoot. I believe that people have the right to self defense and that if your in my home I should have the option of shooting you. Joe Horn I support. From what Ive heard they came on his property and he thought that they were threatening him. If someone comes in my house then I am going to have a loaded gun ready.

It's simple. If someones in your home uninvited , then they have the right to nothing but a cap in the ass. Now, that said....If I heard someone in my house first thing I would do is grab my 12 guage and pop 2 shells in. (I don't keep it loaded because of the kids) Then I would yell as loud as I could a warning that whoever is there is about to get shot so if you don't want to get shot then GTFO. Simple. I wouldn't shoot through a wall or shoot in the dark or whatever because it might be one of my kids up getting a drink. I wouldn't even shoot a dude climbing out of my window after I warned him either. maybe a warning shot to let him know to never try and come back if I got the chance, but I'm not trying to deal with anyones bloody mess on my living room rug if I can avoid it.

• Like 1

Guest shai_hulud

Yeah, TIE was my friend. He was no thief, so this doesn't apply to him.

If someone broke into my house (as in, forcibly entered my house) while I was there and came at me, OF COURSE I'm going to assume the worst. If I have a 2x4 handy, they'll be lucky...just a couple blows to the backs of the legs. Maybe one to the head if it's necessary. If there's a knife, I'd just put it through a limb. It's hard to do much with a six-inch deep hole in your thigh.

If I had a gun, I would shoot them to protect myself. If they see me and the gun and leave, then I might chase them and beat on them for a while...but I'd never shoot someone in the back.

no one seems to get it whatsoever.

Castle laws allow you to kill without[/] being threatened, provided they have broken into your house.

I believe in the right to shoot to kill in self defence.

Shai, I don't care about any of your personal ethics. The fact is you can now shoot people in the back.

Guest shai_hulud

I don't mind that my ethics don't faze you, crunch, seeing as you're six thousand miles away...

That said, I think Dawood has the best solution. The cocking of a shotgun is one of those sounds that is unequivocal.

I thought Australia had really stringent gun laws. This is news to me.

Joe Horn was in Arizona I think. Either way if you are going to commit a crime then you run the risk of having this happen. Its not like all people who pull guns on people rob them. Why should I lose my right to self defense so that a criminal is protected? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d2d_1196845049

In Australia beliefs like yours are common but not quite so much in the US. Youve already lost your right to bear arms through feel good legislation.

http://www.rationalreview.com/content/40338

http://1redthread.blogspot.com/2007/10/alabama-couple-makes-robber-clean-up-at.html

Theres a few of many examples where robberies were stopped and the perpetrators were apprehended by civilians carrying or owning firearms.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Now STFU and GTFO

I took criminal justice and it is legal for someone to shoot someone entering your house without permission

it's for the sake of the old rights of an americans that someone is not allowed to be in your house with out your permission

such as the british back then

if someone is breaking into your house

does it means they mean no harm

no

it means they want your property or your body

thus giving the right to protect us

I feel sorry for you if you feel so threatened by those around you that you need to be in constant vicinity of a knife. where do you live?

Yum, with all due respects...Australia is NOT the United states and it's just a different mentality here. When you have crackheads around that will kill you for $20 , you definately become more alert and ready for whatever. The US has a wide spectrum of situations from very safe areas to extremely dangerous neighborhoods where your life expectancy is not very high. It's just how it is here and it's natural for people to adapt to their surroundings accordingly.