Has anyone here ever used Rosetta Stone?

MAR

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I want to learn Dutch. I'm thinking of taking a semester abroad in the Netherlands. Although everyone there speaks English I'm not sure if I could go to a university without knowing at least a little bit.

It's fairly easy to learn, extremely hard to pronounce correctly, and there's no such thing as a sure thing in terms of grammatical accuracy, because you can formulate a sentence in 3 ways, if you so choose.

We also use more idioms than even America. Odd ones, like, "An apple to peel" (een appel te schillen) instead of "A bone to pick".

Edit: Not to deter you, cause Dutch is indeed in danger of dying out, but the Dutch will try their best to only speak to you in English. If you continue on in Dutch, expect extremely fast speaking to try to get you to speak English.

Good luck, though.

It's fairly easy to learn, extremely hard to pronounce correctly, and there's no such thing as a sure thing in terms of grammatical accuracy, because you can formulate a sentence in 3 ways, if you so choose.

We also use more idioms than even America. Odd ones, like, "An apple to peel" (een appel te schillen) instead of "A bone to pick".

I'm already working on it on my own; I found a few good sites. I have learned the alphabet and pronunciation is hard but I think i have a leg up bc Hebrew's also fairly guttural and structured similarly grammatically.

Anyhow its seems pretty neat so far and I'm psyched to learn what I can, even though most people speak English.

I have a Rosetta Stone DVD with Levels 1 and 2 of 27 languages. shit is intense.

each level of each language is like 209-239$

there's 2 levels for each of the 27 languages

thats about $12,000 worth of shit on this dvd

there's 19 exercises total in the 2 levels

and then there are 11 sub things in each of the 19

and then theres 5 different exercises in those sub things

you start with listening and reading, then just listening, then just reading, then speaking, then writing

it's very dope for learning shit. I pulled it off newsgroups btw

it might be good for spanish or other romance languages

but i've used it a bit in combination w/ my arabic course, and i can see it being very unhelpful

the white car

the car is white

many examples of unclear/unspecific grammar is given...

Yeah thats why I'm looking for an immersion program.

• 2 weeks later...