as the year is coming to an end...

taper

the counting thing really fucked up trains.

some guys say they did 350 or something, all full color pieces, yet there's a pretty good chance like like 349 of them look like something they've already done almost exactly.. (yeah i know thats because its your "style", great. are you sure its yours?)

maybe you're the 1 exception, but i cant think of anyone thats ever done more than a handfull of pieces in a year on freights that actually held their wieght individually, like as pieces you could look at it with a decent level on interest next to one another... i guess characters are a good way to trick your shit out if you want the letters the same every time.. ?

people say they dont count throwups, but count silvers, everyone that fucks shit up knows that a straight letter takes way less paint and time to fill in than a throwup... especially silver since it spreads.

so im not sure ones really better than the other? i get way more with bars than bubbles.

when you do a piece, you should make that shit count, like when you first started learning to paint.. (remember?)

otherwise dont trick yourself into thinkin you arent painting for quantitys sake. just do a bunch of two colors and throwups, its the same exact thing you can just do more of them.

then again.. what do i know.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Handjob
Originally posted by chester copperpot

the counting thing really fucked up trains.

some guys say they did 350 or something, all full color pieces, yet there's a pretty good chance like like 349 of them look like something they've already done almost exactly.. (yeah i know thats because its your "style", great. are you sure its yours?)

maybe you're the 1 exception, but i cant think of anyone thats ever done more than a handfull of pieces in a year on freights that actually held their wieght individually, like as pieces you could look at it with a decent level on interest next to one another... i guess characters are a good way to trick your shit out if you want the letters the same every time.. ?

people say they dont count throwups, but count silvers, everyone that fucks shit up knows that a straight letter takes way less paint and time to fill in than a throwup... especially silver since it spreads.

so im not sure ones really better than the other? i get way more with bars than bubbles.

when you do a piece, you should make that shit count, like when you first started learning to paint.. (remember?)

otherwise dont trick yourself into thinkin you arent painting for quantitys sake. just do a bunch of two colors and throwups, its the same exact thing you can just do more of them.

then again.. what do i know.

I enjoy knowing where I'm at...

Just paint consistantly...

seems like finally some of you are starting to set goals for quality.i've done a relatively small amount of freights for 2001,but probably spend just as much time at the spot as someone that would accomplish a lot more in quantity.most nights i just end up doing one.i try to paint something different everytime since that's what really motivates me and makes me happy.if you look at it with numbers this year, it was nothing special.but overall i'm pretty satisfied with this year.i avaregely spend more time, energy, colors, cleanliness and heart than before.i also switched to thins, and tried to use those consistently.almost each train i painted means something to me, because i had different ideas for most of them.now my photo album is starting to look a lot nicer.oh well i don't consider myself FREIGHT writer anyways.i like all aspects.

its funny when i read this thread and i ponder on how the whole numbers thing got started. the whos and whens is irrelavent but what was initally friendly comp. between two writers who dont even know each other has turned into something so "important" in the freight scene

ive met writers for the first time and the second thing out of their mouths (after saying what they write) is how many freights theyve painted. or even worse asking me how many ive done this year. painting 3 or 4 thousand freights in the course of one or two years has one basic result. two or three years later less than 30% of all those trains will still be running. i am by no stretch of the imagination hating. i mean id love to give my life to painting trains, rocking thousands of pieces a year, but hey im far too lazy and just dont have the time. writers like cense, shor, cavs, mber, ...to name a few, will always get my complete respect because they have remained brutally consistent since the day they began. it seems to me that writers who constantly brag about on the number of pieces they can do in a year, one wont really be around for long so there tryin to get it all in in one shot and two have something to proove to everyone else, like some sort of badge that makes you "real" or "hardcore".

in my opinion the real hardcore writers are the ones that never quit.

Originally posted by Average White Railfan

its funny when i read this thread and i ponder on how the whole numbers thing got started. the whos and whens is irrelavent but what was initally friendly comp. between two writers who dont even know each other has turned into something so "important" in the freight scene

ive met writers for the first time and the second thing out of their mouths (after saying what they write) is how many freights theyve painted. or even worse asking me how many ive done this year. painting 3 or 4 thousand freights in the course of one or two years has one basic result. two or three years later less than 30% of all those trains will still be running. i am by no stretch of the imagination hating. i mean id love to give my life to painting trains, rocking thousands of pieces a year, but hey im far too lazy and just dont have the time. writers like cense, shor, cavs, mber, ...to name a few, will always get my complete respect because they have remained brutally consistent since the day they began. it seems to me that writers who constantly brag about on the number of pieces they can do in a year, one wont really be around for long so there tryin to get it all in in one shot and two have something to proove to everyone else, like some sort of badge that makes you "real" or "hardcore".

Everyone listen to this man! He has some very valid points that he has touched on............. don't think being the loc'ed out all city/one year and you're done fr8 savage really pays off!! There are plenty of people who are still fabled because of the amount of restitution they had to pay or the amount of jail time they spent because they got caught in their prime trying to push too hard and getting busted!!! I remember along time ago when ESPO said something to the effect of "when I was working on "On The Go" magazine I'd work my ass off for two weeks and then I'd paint my ass off for two weeks after I handled my business"........... my point is that graff isn't everything in life...........

I think a lot of people on this board are here because of the rare common bond that we share with each other which would be what???

That we write on other people's shit??? It's a funny thing when you think about it.............. Keep a balance in your life!! Make friends from this shit and enjoy the experience of it as a whole: the travelling, the racking or sticker swapping, the escape stories. Then share it on the board here 'cause that's what matters......

Originally posted by Average White Railfan

its funny when i read this thread and i ponder on how the whole numbers thing got started. the whos and whens is irrelavent but what was initally friendly comp. between two writers who dont even know each other has . turned into something so "important" in the freight scene

ive met writers for the first time and the second thing out of their mouths (after saying what they write) is how many freights theyve painted. or even worse asking me how many ive done this yearpainting 3 or 4 thousand freights in the course of one or two years has one basic result. two or three years later less than 30% of all those trains will still be running. i am by no stretch of the imagination hating. i mean id love to give my life to painting trains, rocking thousands of pieces a year, but hey im far too lazy and just dont have the time. writers like cense, shor, cavs, mber, ...to name a few, will always get my complete respect because they have remained brutally consistent since the day they began. it seems to me that writers who constantly brag about on the number of pieces they can do in a year, one wont really be around for long so there tryin to get it all in in one shot and two have something to proove to everyone else, like some sort of badge that makes you "real" or "hardcore".

i cant really find anything to disagree with in this post, im pretty set on the "pace yourself or you'll burn out" ethic... i know the thing that got most of the people i know counting was king coming out and saying he did 200 or whatever in 94? .. it wasnt untill about 96 and 97 that a few writers out this way started aiming in that realm for a years goal.

the only thing i wonder, theres constantly talk of people coming out "one year" and doing thousands or something, im wondering if there is actually any examples of a 1000's in one year one hit wonder, or if all this based on assumption?

if im wrong let me know. the only writers i know of that have gotten those kind of numbers in the past have had trains rocked steadily over a pretty good span of time with both quality and quantity, and put in just as much work in the citys at the same time.

i've tried to keep a count of my shit on two seperate years, once was when i first started, and the next time it was just a joke to get people that cared about numbers all sad. its definately a lot more relaxing, and easier to fuck with new ideas when theres not a quota to meet.

i just thing the quality of pieces on trains have gotten super wack since counting became the standard. id rather just go smash 20 drunken throwups than do 4 crappy pieces that look like the night before's with some scraggly ass thoughtless 2 color fillin, a highlight, and some mist in the 3-d to make it a "full color piece", it seems like people scrape out the bare minimum for that "full color piece" claim to fame. this is just my observation of most of the shit i see rolling these days.

whatever though, i think the freight scenes lame. freights are dope, and so are some of the people that paint them. later.

Originally posted by chester copperpot

i cant really find anything to disagree with in this post, im pretty set on the "pace yourself or you'll burn out" ethic... i know the thing that got most of the people i know counting was king coming out and saying he did 200 or whatever in 94? .. it wasnt untill about 96 and 97 that a few writers out this way started aiming in that realm for a years goal.

the only thing i wonder, theres constantly talk of people coming out "one year" and doing thousands or something, im wondering if there is actually any examples of a 1000's in one year one hit wonder, or if all this based on assumption?

if im wrong let me know. the only writers i know of that have gotten those kind of numbers in the past have had trains rocked steadily over a pretty good span of time with both quality and quantity, and put in just as much work in the citys at the same time.

i've tried to keep a count of my shit on two seperate years, once was when i first started, and the next time it was just a joke to get people that cared about numbers all sad. its definately a lot more relaxing, and easier to fuck with new ideas when theres not a quota to meet.

i just thing the quality of pieces on trains have gotten super wack since counting became the standard. id rather just go smash 20 drunken throwups than do 4 crappy pieces that look like the night before's with some scraggly ass thoughtless 2 color fillin, a highlight, and some mist in the 3-d to make it a "full color piece", it seems like people scrape out the bare minimum for that "full color piece" claim to fame. this is just my observation of most of the shit i see rolling these days.

whatever though, i think the freight scenes lame. freights are dope, and so are some of the people that paint them. later.

That "KING" shit is interesting to hear.........

i have accomplished 18 freight and or hoppers this year and everyone has been unique unlike a lot of motherfuckers that be gettin up these days. im not the best im just sayin its pie to rock the same style everytime. then it looks like your good because youve mastered your lines and colors on that piece but fuck put that shit up side by side and peoples would be like wtf???? this kat got no skills. but who cares.. if you all wanna talk about numbers.. how many legal walls has everyone pieced this year with permission???? thats somethin to fuckin have under your belt

I didn't paint a ton of freights this year, or last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. But then again, how many is a ton? I guess by todays standards, a ton of freights is 300 or 1000, but I guess that's who you ask. I remember someone posted a long time ago saying Nace did a lot, and someone replied, that he hadn't done 800 yet, so he wasn't on the map. What the fuck is that? What map are we looking at here? 800 is a lot of pieces. If you ask me, there's not many people that could match Nace's body of work.

I don't see much point in going to a spot and firing out a half dozen simples, all messy and half assed. That's just kinda dumb and greedy to me. When you walk into a yard or go bench, what do you notice? There's a stamp on virtually every car nowadays. Nothing really grabs my attention besides pieces and really good stuff. Having something in every yard is useless if it's all junk.

Just my opinion. I like painting pieces and that's what I like to look at. I can dig the fact that someone likes to do scrub fillins, and maybe that's what they like to catch. The thing to remember about graffiti in general is that it's personal, and you shouldn't cheat yourself to meet a quota or a standard. 20 years from now graffiti trends aren't going to mean shit, and the only thing you have to show for your youth are the flicks. I'd like to still be heading to the yards when I'm 40-50, with my teenage son or daughter, but at the rate freight painting is going, I don't think it'll happen.

Guest Graff Jesus
Originally posted by HAL

I didn't paint a ton of freights this year, or last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. But then again, how many is a ton? I guess by todays standards, a ton of freights is 300 or 1000, but I guess that's who you ask. I remember someone posted a long time ago saying Nace did a lot, and someone replied, that he hadn't done 800 yet, so he wasn't on the map. What the fuck is that? What map are we looking at here? 800 is a lot of pieces. If you ask me, there's not many people that could match Nace's body of work.

I don't see much point in going to a spot and firing out a half dozen simples, all messy and half assed. That's just kinda dumb and greedy to me. When you walk into a yard or go bench, what do you notice? There's a stamp on virtually every car nowadays. Nothing really grabs my attention besides pieces and really good stuff. Having something in every yard is useless if it's all junk.

Just my opinion. I like painting pieces and that's what I like to look at. I can dig the fact that someone likes to do scrub fillins, and maybe that's what they like to catch. The thing to remember about graffiti in general is that it's personal, and you shouldn't cheat yourself to meet a quota or a standard. 20 years from now graffiti trends aren't going to mean shit, and the only thing you have to show for your youth are the flicks. I'd like to still be heading to the yards when I'm 40-50, with my teenage son or daughter, but at the rate freight painting is going, I don't think it'll happen.

just start going over the small stamps like i do with a nice piece. i just hope all these number counters keep painting small so i can keep going over them all.

think about it in a couple years almost every freight will have something on it at the rate shit is going. are people gonna be capping the simples or the dope pieces?

fuck numbers. i'll take quality every day. my goal this year was to paint some dope burners, have some fun, and not get caught. so far i've met my goals.

the only reason i would go for numbers is to have some sort of goal to reach, just to keep me painting consistently which is a little hard for me right now.....

its beyond me how someone can get so wrapped up in trains, much less find the time to do 500 or 1000 peices in a year....seems like it would stop being fun after a while and just turn to routine....

Guest THE LAW

if the ONLY thing that mattered was style, we'd all paint on canvasses or under out of the way bridges.

fact remains: 100 trains get around a lot more than 10

less trains=smaller audience

Guest professor poopatronic

i didn't do very many this year... probably less than a hundred. i'm pretty happy with what i've done though, knowing that they all burn just about anything i did last year

i think that numbers are relative to how much a person just loves to be out working their shit, for instance do you think someone who paints 1000 in a year does it just to get to 1000.....hell no thats alot of damn work and time. people like sigh and ono dont paint trains as much as they do just to get the numbers, they do it because they love to be in the yard and love the idea that they can go to sleep at night and know that all those pieces are out there working for them......what do numbers matter anyways i know that anyone who truely loves freight writing would rather spend all night in a yard with a hand full of meanstreaks than not go at all......anyways sorry to go off on a tangent.

i tried for 500 this year but lost track along the way......so i figure im somewhere around 350-400.

Originally posted by baLLeRplAyA

i think that numbers are relative to how much a person just loves to be out working their shit, for instance do you think someone who paints 1000 in a year does it just to get to 1000.....hell no thats alot of damn work and time. people like sigh and ono dont paint trains as much as they do just to get the numbers, they do it because they love to be in the yard and love the idea that they can go to sleep at night and know that all those pieces are out there working for them......what do numbers matter anyways i know that anyone who truely loves freight writing would rather spend all night in a yard with a hand full of meanstreaks than not go at all......anyways sorry to go off on a tangent.

i tried for 500 this year but lost track along the way......so i figure im somewhere around 350-400.

you leave me wondering who you are...

ha ha...i wish i coulda popped 350-400.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived