About Style...

enigmatic

mail1hh8.jpg

1221061354ce1.jpg

1221061353pr8.jpg

Im posting up these flicks so you all can see were im at and what im struggling with. Everything that i draw seems so generic. Which leads me to some questions about style, when i started writing back in... september, i immediately started doing insane wildstyles... yeah right, insanely shit wild styles. ya know, the stuff most toys go through. of course i showed my stuff to some nice local heads who basically gave me a verbal asswhooping that was much needed. Told me to go back and do the letters off my keyboard, do block letters, and work from there, well i did all this and recently changed names. unfortunately im at a total and complete standstill, i can paint, cleanly, any of the thinkgs that i posted. but im not progressing. at all, its the same old stuff over and over again, because i was trained that way, is it okay for me to start to add my own style, ive been looking at a lot of different writers with seriously unique styles. Hepos from 666 for instance, the shit he does is insanely clean and original, and it all has a certain style to it, the same tweaking of the letters, use of shading, 3D etc.

Now that ive got the basics, where do i go from here, should i sit down and just start busting out letters, see what clicks, should i look at other writers. comic books. for inspiration? Let everything i like fall together? Im looking for writers that know what there talking ab out *you know who you are* to help me out, and others. what exactly is a style, and how do you develop your own?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

While this is in the totally wrong fucking place. Stop the arrows and keep doing it. I fill a note book wi th just one word fuckign with it and im still only happy with half of it. Your style isnt something you can describe, it something that appeals to you, something that you think is dope and you continue to do it no matter what some internet fuckhole said. Keep it going. Your not there yet but if you give up. well fuck you toy if you give it up.

no more arrows. arrows is something you have to know how to use..me and my boys sit around and just battle diffrent letters sometimes so we can work on new styles and maybe end up coming with some hot shit. you should do the same. see what letters you like best. and FILL your notebook till you cant see white anymore. do bombs handys pieces letters charecters..do it all and see what your best at. eventually you will find a good style and flow you like.

Rule number one for toys - just start biting everybody elses style, and draw every day. Fill your notebook. Throw it out and buy a new one. Do it again. Throw it out too. Repeat five, maybe six times. Now keep the next one, but only because there were a couple of cool pieces in there.

Wait, no. Throw that one out too, but tear out the good pieces.

Rinse and repeat. Now you got your own style accidentally, somewhere along the way.

^^Don't know what he's talking about - I like what you were trying for in that second to last piece. The letters need more definition, and the connections need reconsidering, but you've got an eye for it. You'll be rocking it soon enough. Just keep practicing, Enigmatic. You'll get there.

Rule number one for toys - just start biting everybody elses style, and draw every day. Fill your notebook. Throw it out and buy a new one. Do it again. Throw it out too. Repeat five, maybe six times. Now keep the next one, but only because there were a couple of cool pieces in there.

Wait, no. Throw that one out too, but tear out the good pieces.

Rinse and repeat. Now you got your own style accidentally, somewhere along the way.

That shit is FUNNY... save that one..wait no..throw that one out too.. HAAHH

I don't want to bite shit I know I got to get some kind of principal to the concept of this shit some how it just sucks cause what I put on paper looks like shit on walls.I guess just keep on keeping on and maybe one day I will find the fucking end of it all.

Style is described by some people as grace under pressure, making the impossible look easy. Your letters look kind of forced, like you aren't comfortable with them. You are trying to go for all these weird ass connections and funky letters and it just aint working for ya. Remember where style came from, hand styles. Practice that shit over and over and over again, see how your name flows around itself. People think its boring but its a lot of fun, you just got to figure out how your letters fit together. Don't try to be fresh and bold and orignal, be clean and confident. Ever look at freights? Your style should be aiming for that. Legible, simple, clean, bold. And stick with one style, like, you keep on changing it up from what I See. Practice one particular way of drawing, tweak it this way and that way, you will start to understand how your letter fit.

And no offense, but the C overlapping the A looks horrible.

But really, why do you draw? Do you do it to be cool? To stick out? Because everyone else is doing it? Or because you want to, because its fun, because the colors speak to you, because when you close your eyes to sleep at night you see half a dozen styles you know you can't do yet? If you really love it, you will just do it and progression will come. My suggestion is lay off the connections, space your letters a little bit apart and work with it. Besides, its a new name, give it time. Graff ain't easy.

I think you're going into each new piece thinking about how you can alter the old ones, because they all look so similar. Instead you should just throw out all your old sketches and start sketching from the top of your head.

You could also look for inspiration from writers you particularly like, it wont help you get a style, but if you look at enough different writers, you can begin to identify the qualities in their styles you like, and try to bring them together in your pieces.

Lastly, try going back to what you started doing, those "wildstyles," but go back to them with the knowledge and skill you have now that you've been practicing with simples.

Just sketch, sketch, sketch until carpal tunnel takes over. Then switch hands.

And by the way, get a new name, cause Caso's taken, locally too.

with a lot of probably overdue respect.

u gotta lotta feedback from people that was as positive as it gets because u

articulated ur ishu in a intelligent matter.

about style...

things like arrows and crazy fades. bubbles, highlights the whole nine yards...

is they serve purposes. for instance... arrows are always used to show vivid motion.

dude

as u chill.

and look at everypiece try to understand the science of it

go look at shit like old english and dont come back until u figure out how that dope as thin line is is as expressive as the thick lines...

EVERY SINGLE LETTER HAS A POINT OF EXPRESSION

AND U HAVE TO LEARN TO EXAGERATE THE RIGHT POINTS OF EXPRESSION.

and u wont know what to exagerate until ur a G.

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nobody can tell you what you think looks good. ALSO, JUST BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN DRAWING THE SAME SHIT FOR A WHILE DOES NOT MEAN YOU AREN'T PROGRESSING! Eventually it will become easier to freestyle, you will draw things faster and cleaner than ever before. The difference between a good artist and a bad one is not what you draw... (CAN SOMEONE DRAW MY WORD I WRITE KANE.) It is how easy it is for you to draw it. True self expression through art can only be obtained if your pen, can, pencil or whatever is an extension of your hand. And a King's medium is an extension their soul.

I hope that makes sense I went a little deep there hee hee hee...