Apocalypto

Gunm

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i just came back from this movie and i have to say it was really entertaining and for once I didn;t leave a big theater pissed I wasted my money.

Propget1 is mad about this movie because he feels it's some awful exploitive piece of crap...well, good for you.

Those trhat go into this movie looking to see a good adventure flick get their moneys worth. There's some pretty funny scenes, tragic scenes, gory scenes and some really good chase shots.

There's some boobie shots but it wasn't gratuitous. just a few shots here and there which was good enough for me.

The costumes of the Aztec society are really well done and all the scenes were coordinated really well so that everything flowed good. There weren't any clunky parts to the movie and I didn't notice it was 2+ hours aside from needing to piss.

Go see it with an open mind and you've got a good time ahead of you. Be all butthurt like Prophet1 and of course you won't be into it.

CAUTION, SPOILERS BELOW

-Ritual decapitation

-Spooky passing of decimated villagers passing through the forest

-Underwater baby birth

-Waterfall to head plant on rock

-Hard core combat with blunt weaponry

-Lot of cute girls

maya civiliztion was already extinct when the spaniards came, so i guess its the Aztecs

The Mayans fought the invaders for 20 years, but eventually succumbed. The Mayans were slaughtered during the battles with the Spaniards, but imported European diseases decimated the population. The Mayans were moved into villages and paid heavy taxes to the Spanish government. There were periodic rebellions against the Spanish.

So i just came back from this movie and i have to say it was really entertaining and for once I didn;t leave a big theater pissed I wasted my money.

Propget1 is mad about this movie because he feels it's some awful exploitive piece of crap...well, good for you.

Those trhat go into this movie looking to see a good adventure flick get their moneys worth. There's some pretty funny scenes, tragic scenes, gory scenes and some really good chase shots.

There's some boobie shots but it wasn't gratuitous. just a few shots here and there which was good enough for me.

The costumes of the Aztec society are really well done and all the scenes were coordinated really well so that everything flowed good. There weren't any clunky parts to the movie and I didn't notice it was 2+ hours aside from needing to piss.

Go see it with an open mind and you've got a good time ahead of you. Be all butthurt like Prophet1 and of course you won't be into it.

CAUTION, SPOILERS BELOW

-Ritual decapitation

-Spooky passing of decimated villagers passing through the forest

-Underwater baby birth

-Waterfall to head plant on rock

-Hard core combat with blunt weaponry

-Lot of cute girls

you see, the problem is that you crackers still like to entertain yourselves by the expense of humiliation and degradation of others, just like the slave masters liked to see a "funny nigger" act a fool and just for the master and his family to get a good laugh.... it brings joy to you..... you feel all warm inside. You ever wonder why the bigest "stars" of entertainment are people of color, because you love to see a "nigga" run, jump and shoot....

same shit with this film, and all other films made in relation with Indigenous people, you like to "entertain"yourself with films about other people's culture and history, no matter how far from the truth they may be, you just want to sit on your fat ass with popcorn on the side and enjoy, how nice. any further discussion i will be glad to chop it up wit you personally

Profet TNS

I went and saw this. It was like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome set in the Yucatan peninsula circa 14&who gives a crap. Good action. I think all the talk about the movie being exploitative is a little off. I mean, all movies are exploitative. Don't get me wrong, I think Mel Gibson is a huge asshole, and I think that movie is full of random violence set in Central America. But how is that any different from random violence set in any other place? Since when were action movies supposed to be anthropological studies?

Honestly, I think Gibson is an asshole, and I feel the tiniest fraction of guilt that he received some of my money/box office scores, but really, since when are action movies supposed to be cultural studies. I think he exploited Maya culture for this movie, but he also exploited Scottish culture in his William Wallace schtick. I'm not "colorblind" the way that Steven Colbert claims to be, but it seems silly to hold this movie to higher cultural-sensitivity standards than other movies. Sure, it's probably not the greatest PR moment for the Mayans and the title, "Apocalypto" makes me wonder, but if you ignore Gibson's subversive "faith" thing, and all of that, it's an enjoyable movie.

I did enjoy the movie, but it did make me think (confirm): Mel Gibson is one sick motherfucker. The whole movie was cringe-worthy. I mean, if Gibson is not an out & out S&M guy, he's clearly repressing his own sexuality. I thought there were some boring moments, like duriing the endless march to the capital city, but the chase scene was really good. Let's get back to Mel being crazy, anti-semetic Mel now: The childbirth scene was way over the top LOLs. But all the uber-religious crap is ignorable. If you like great dialogue (and who doesn't?) this may not be the movie for you, but if you like good-guys vs bad-guys and hit you in the gut type violence, this is a good movie.

IMO, all Hollywood movies, especially historical ones, use stereotypes. I don't mean to sound like the white guy crying "no fair," but I think that cultural sensitivity and accuracy has a very small place in entertainment.

If you watch action movies in lieu of real research, you're probably A.) One of the millions of assholes who make up the U.S. B.) Not me C.) A total fucking idiot, who noone will ever listen to anyway. Exceptions being: Sean Hannity, etc.

I say, have your fun America. Anything to take your mind off the war in Iraq. What's that? Oh, it's just a country that we invaded in a state of post 9-11 delirium. And the military coups and dictatorships sponsored by the U.S. in Latin America? Don't worry about that.

It's the movie theater for god's sake (lower case "g" intentional). Sure, boycott it if you think Mel's a psycho (like I do), but be careful about imposing too much PC on Hollywood. It's better to concentrate those efforts on the legislature and the President.

you see, the problem is that you crackers still like to entertain yourselves by the expense of humiliation and degradation of others, just like the slave masters liked to see a "funny nigger" act a fool and just for the master and his family to get a good laugh.... it brings joy to you..... you feel all warm inside. You ever wonder why the bigest "stars" of entertainment are people of color, because you love to see a "nigga" run, jump and shoot....

same shit with this film, and all other films made in relation with Indigenous people, you like to "entertain"yourself with films about other people's culture and history, no matter how far from the truth they may be, you just want to sit on your fat ass with popcorn on the side and enjoy, how nice. any further discussion i will be glad to chop it up wit you personally

Profet TNS

wow, you're a fucking retard.

I went and saw this. It was like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome set in the Yucatan peninsula circa 14&who gives a crap. Good action. I think all the talk about the movie being exploitative is a little off. I mean, all movies are exploitative. Don't get me wrong, I think Mel Gibson is a huge asshole, and I think that movie is full of random violence set in Central America. But how is that any different from random violence set in any other place? Since when were action movies supposed to be anthropological studies?

The childbirth scene was way over the top LOLs. But all the uber-religious crap is ignorable. If you like great dialogue (and who doesn't?) this may not be the movie for you, but if you like good-guys vs bad-guys and hit you in the gut type violence, this is a good movie.

well said.

I rest my case with this statement,

i couldnt watch memoirs of a geisha without cringing everytime i heard a chinese accent come out their mouths. i love gong li, zhang yi, michelle yo, but wtf they're geishas not flower girls. but then again japanese actresses suck. they most likely couldnt speak english either to the level that most chinese actresses can. so the only way to make that retards book into a movie was to go with chinese actresses. couldnt that be the same problem with using the native south american indians? maybe they didnt have enough acting experience. i hear what you're saying but the shit does look pretty good.

i couldnt watch memoirs of a geisha without cringing everytime i heard a chinese accent come out their mouths. i love gong li, zhang yi, michelle yo, but wtf they're geishas not flower girls. but then again japanese actresses suck. they most likely couldnt speak english either to the level that most chinese actresses can. so the only way to make that retards book into a movie was to go with chinese actresses. couldnt that be the same problem with using the native south american indians? maybe they didnt have enough acting experience. i hear what you're saying but the shit does look pretty good.

funny you mention that, I was in japan when memoirs... got released, a few people told me her accent (zhang)was appalling. to be honest, I didn't notice. probably not something the average gaijin tourist picks up though.

Gibson should just combine braveheart, the passion of christ, and apocalypto, into one movie called "MEL PROPHECY."

...and i coundn't stop laughing when that huge tree randomly falls and the warrior bad guy yells "I'M WALKING HERE!"

...AND, America is looking for a new beginning in the Middle East...ANYONE!?

god this movie was so strange.

prophet man, you are way too fucking hippie status dude

its a movie, get over it

its meant to entertain and make money off of those that are in it, plain and simple

yes, i enjoy watching silly niggers fight, shoot and run

but guess what, i also enjoy when gooks, crackers, chinks, phlips and any other deragatory race does it, it makes no difference to me, as long as im entertained.

oh poor expoited athletes

motherfuckers getting millions to play a game

fuck off

first, how do you know the accents where bad? have you ever heard some one speak mayan? no. you havent. i havent either. but i have heard my elders speak in thire native tongue, and both sound some what similar. maybe cause the "mayan" is coming from an native american........i think your trying to find something to bitch at.........

second, when that mayan chick came runing out and chugged the water was fuckking great! and made me think "the history of head" hummm?????????? do you think eve was slobbing adams nobb?