__/.:*-PHYSICS SUPERTHREAD-*:.\__

ohnoone

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this seems to have evolved into a more philosophical type of discussion that I quite frankly don't know enough about to add to or even comment. So I just read and learn.

Consider it a little tangent. He's a philosophy major, I'm a physics major. I'm sure you have some physics related information to add.

lets lighten the mood in here.

i guess it was only a matter of time.

Hahahaha. That's ridiculous. A friend of mine's roommate lost his mind about some shit like this last year. Literally. He started believing he was god and he could control and define the world around him with his mind. Then one day he tried to have sex with my friend, failed since my friend isn't gay, then got naked and started running around town jumping cars and stuff until the police found him.

I'm gonna watch that Feynman lecture. I definitely don't study or go to lecture as much as I should to really get a handle on some of this stuff. Oh and I used to work at the national laboratory up above UCB. It's impressive to tell people I worked on the development of femtosecond lasers and neutron generators, but the truth is I got paid for doing almost nothing. It was a chill place to work though. Another kid who worked there did nothing all day but sit around and do nothing, occasionally stealing york peppermint patties and freezing them in liquid nitrogen before eating them.

Consider it a little tangent. He's a philosophy major, I'm a physics major. I'm sure you have some physics related information to add.

I'm just glad I came to pilosophy through physics. I feel like it grounds me from being too rediculous. It also allows me to understand the more structured, if not rediculously stated, arguments in analytic philosophy.

The awesome thing for me is I am surrounded by people doing the same shit as me from all different perspectives. There is a kid I live with who is doing theoretical physics. As much as I think he is full of shit, he has his head on straight and thinks about a lot of the same things I do. I live with another kid who went through the same ideological transition I did at the same time. He was coming from the perspective of cognitive science and nueroscience, but then ultimately switched to philosophy at the same time as me cus of almost the same reasons. We started to feel that because of the inherit disparity between the attempt to understand reality and what reality actually is, we didn't wanna spend the entirety of our lives dedicated to something that would ultimately be discarded. I realized I just wanted to read theory to get up to speed so as to be comfortable in my own thoughts and beliefs about things. Not to mention to see if I can apply philosophy in to some marketable skill.

I heard of some grad program at University of Chicago that is something like "Philosophy, Physics, Economics." I personally think that would be the most amazing thing ever. Basically you have a post grad degree saying that you understand the fundamentals of any system and as such could give important perspectives on a respective system if given enough information about it. Essentially, I wanna turn my philosophy degree into some job or higher egree that will lead to a job where I get paid to consider things and tell other people my thoughts. I wanna be a consultant, And I think I can use my school to make it happen.

ok, nermind, I am just rambling in a thread about physics. Sorry guys, I just find it interesting everybody's respective path and perstective in relation to what they post about on here. ps. halloween is a hilarious thing at some campuses. specifically mine. I am trashed, three forties deep, multiple blunts, etc. all in some rediculous fairyland where nothing can happen in a bad way. two thumbs up for college.

back to physics...

Perhaps you will want to call me a dualist, but I think that is ok. The scale I was speaking of was maintaining itself to quantum because I was only speaking of conciousness not the brain. I don't necessarily know if I believe the brain contains the essence of conciousness alone.

Just because our "bodies" exist in space does not necessitate that our conciousness does. You may say it's in your brain, but I ask you to find the place that allows you the continuous awareness of your own self.

I think this is the major point of disagreement between us. If you are saying that consciousness cannot be confined to material reality, then I could equivalently ask you where, if not the material world, is consciousness located? The trans-dimensional aether? This viewpoint brings up a whole host of other questions: what happens to consciousness when we die? how can the net number of conscious individuals continue to increase? where do you draw the line between animal, corporeal existence and 'consciousness'? what was consciousness doing before advanced life developed anywhere in the universe? This begins to recall Plato's strange spirit-world from the end of The Republic. I have a lot of issues with Plato, as you might be able to tell. I would go as far as to say that he was responsible for most fundamental misconceptions in western thought, mostly because of his influence on the Greek bible. If there's anything I've really taken away from my limited exposure to pure philosophy (and, I guess I should add, psychedelic drugs), it's a profound mistrust of dualism.

That said, I agree with what you said about mathematics and the limitation of physics. Of course, from a philosophical point of view, physics can never really answer the question of "why?" only the question of "how?" or "what?" I'm not sure philosophy can do this either. But the reason I have stuck with physics is that I think this is sufficient. I think anyone who approaches physics as a philosophy is on the wrong track. I approach it as no different than learning any other kind of skill, hobby, or trade, in a Daoist sense. As Einstein once said, it is more about "the religious feeling engendered by experiencing the logical comprehensibility of profound interrelations....It is more a feeling of awe at the scheme that is manifested in the material universe." I think focusing on those atavistic whys is meaningless, because there are no atavistic whys, nothing is fundamentally logical. I intuitively prefer focusing on what is real and simply engaging myself with reality, instead of abstractions of nonexistant "forms."

Perhaps we agree more than I think, but I've made a habit throughout college of disagreeing with almost everything my teachers throw at me. I sort of mistrust words, especially when it comes to philosophy.

Almost time to don my Frank Thomas mask and get drunk...peace

the electrons travel by way of quatum tunneling, ( he thinks) something that apparently happens in the quantum world quite often, that gives observers the impression that they are one second in one place (inside the nucleus, for instance) and then one second outside, without actually going through the physical texture or space of the object, in a sense teleporting.

Quantum tunneling is an interesting phenomenon. Last semester I learned about a sort of macroscopic manifestation of this effect (Bose-Einstein condensate) where liquid helium in a container is cooled to slightly above absolute zero temperature. At a certain point one notices that the helium creeps up the sides of the container, down the outside, and drips from the bottom. This is basically a consequence of quantum tunneling. Because of the strange, quantum properties of Bose-Einstein condensate, it's considered a separate phase of matter.

• 1 month later...
im sorry, but shouldnt have this interview come out in the early nineteen eighties?

This is where Quantum Theory has come thus far. She's denouncing string theory as guess work and throwing a few new problems ( & solutions) on the board. I suppose the clip's a little long. It would have been better to fastforward about half way through it to get to the real crux of her argument and data.

On the other hand Charlie Rose will always be in the 80's. I mean, listen to that banger he's got for theme music.

• 1 year later...

ahh my old friend......

its been a while since ive done my reading. i branched out to whackos like daniel pinchbeck breaking open the head. he likes to take native cultures hallucinagens and talk about the brain and stuff. also i read the cosmic serpent, which is also about shamans accessing truths about highly complex bio chemistry (that they use in thier medicinal herbs ) through tripping on ayuhuasca. pretty wild shit.