<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

You guys have helped before, so why not try again?

There is some sort of malicious bullshit on my computer. I've run AdAware and Spybot in safemode and it seems like most of the shit is cleaned up, but there is some process that either attached itself to iexplore.exe or that's just its name. I don't use IExplorer, nor is the process ever running up until now. I get fake "You have Spyware on your computer, download our software" bullshit here and there also. Usually I can figure this shit out, but this one seems rather tough

Any ideas?

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest shai_hulud

Clean your registry. That should make a difference.

Google Ccleaner. I'm having some problems with Google right now, or I'd give you a link.

Install that and do what it tells you to do. It should take care of the problem.

Also, get Avast! and use that, too. It's a free anti-virus app. If you have another AV running, disable it or uninstall it. Avast! is about as good as it gets.

Guest shai_hulud

I'm not the Windows expert around here, but I know that Mainter speaks very highly of Avast! and Ccleaner.

If you wait around, someone with a little more insight can help you set things right.

You guys have helped before, so why not try again?

There is some sort of malicious bullshit on my computer. I've run AdAware and Spybot in safemode and it seems like most of the shit is cleaned up, but there is some process that either attached itself to iexplore.exe or that's just its name. I don't use IExplorer, nor is the process ever running up until now. I get fake "You have Spyware on your computer, download our software" bullshit here and there also. Usually I can figure this shit out, but this one seems rather tough

Any ideas?

download and install and configure all of these i list below, remove any other cleaning tools because they will conflict with the cleaning process

Windows Defender ( only use this if you got a legit version of windows)

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Avast Antivirus Professional

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupengpro.exe

CCLEANER

http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup203.exe

after installing each of these 1 at a time in order we will configure them.

to save myself some time use this website to configure Windows Defender

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/glenn_windefender.mspx

only change i recommend is to select Install definition updates only. This option installs new definitions but does not enroll your computer in the SpyNet Community.

Avast Antivirus - use this tutorial http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial104.html

and for CCleaner

Select yer Language

Press: Next

Press: I Agree

Press: Next ( Leave Default)

Now the install options: keep everything checkedExcept the last one which is a yahoo toolbar install ( have it unchecked)

Press: Install

Press: Finish

now open ccleaner from the desktop

when it opens/ scroll all the way to the bottom and checkmark all the boxes till you reach advanced check mark that box you will get alot of prompts just press ok for them all then after it is finished you need to uncheck a few of them

we will start from the top

under the Internet Explorer section uncheck Autocomplete Form History

scroll all the way back down to the bottom in the advanced section and uncheck the bottom 2 Hotfix Fix Uninstallers / Custom Files and Folders

now press run cleaner ( you will be prompted to close all internet browsers ( you need them closed to run the cleaner or it will not clean)

for the first time it will take a few minutes to clean after it has ran, run it 1 more time then on the left select Registry ( have all these checkmarked and scan for issues this might also to a few after its finished (checkmark all the issues if not done so already) select fix selected issues ( make a backup sense it is the first time cleaning ( save it to yer documents folder) then select Fix All Selected Issues.

whilst we are on the topic... my avast tray icon thing has disappeared. i tried turning it off and on again in settings but had no luck. theres a space in between two of the other icons where it should be...

do i need to just reinstall maybe?

whilst we are on the topic... my avast tray icon thing has disappeared. i tried turning it off and on again in settings but had no luck. theres a space in between two of the other icons where it should be...

do i need to just reinstall maybe?

: The blue ball icons have disappeared from my system tray. How do I get them back there? A: If you´re using Windows XP, the icons are probably hidden. In that case right-click on your Taskbar and choose Properties. A dialog box "Taskbar and Start menu properties" would appear. Then uncheck Hide inactive icons check box.

If you´re not using Windows XP, OR if the previous solution doesn't fix the problem, run the ashDisp.exe program (it´s in C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4 directory). It should bring the icons up again. If they disappear after restart again, make a shortcut to the ashDisp.exe file in your Start-up folder.

Guest shai_hulud

God, it's nice having Mainter back. I was worried I was gonna hose someone's computer long distance with some bad Windows advice.

Mainter, you know anything about iPods? I just got a 4th gen from Sleeping Pills, and it no worky after the FW update. Of course, it worked fine BEFORE the update. Naturally.

The fucksticks at the Apple store are probably going to do everything I tried to do, and then say, "It's fucked, buy a new one. Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!!!"

I'm in a mood. It's raining, I'm complaining. Fuck it.

God, it's nice having Mainter back. I was worried I was gonna hose someone's computer long distance with some bad Windows advice.

Mainter, you know anything about iPods? I just got a 4th gen from Sleeping Pills, and it no worky after the FW update. Of course, it worked fine BEFORE the update. Naturally.

The fucksticks at the Apple store are probably going to do everything I tried to do, and then say, "It's fucked, buy a new one. Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!!!"

I'm in a mood. It's raining, I'm complaining. Fuck it.

nope sorry have you tried restoring it ( it does lose all yer music on it though

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

yo everytime i type something into a search engine like google or yahoo and then click on a link it keeps takin me to this bullshit server even on legit links.

any help????

google spyware blaster and spybot.

download them both, update them, use them.

you got hijacked by spyware.

• Like 1

fucko use this...............

download and install and configure all of these i list below, remove any other cleaning tools because they will conflict with the cleaning process

Windows Defender ( only use this if you got a legit version of windows)

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Avast Antivirus Professional

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupengpro.exe

CCLEANER

http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup203.exe

after installing each of these 1 at a time in order we will configure them.

to save myself some time use this website to configure Windows Defender

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/glenn_windefender.mspx

only change i recommend is to select Install definition updates only. This option installs new definitions but does not enroll your computer in the SpyNet Community.

Avast Antivirus - use this tutorial http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial104.html

and for CCleaner

Select yer Language

Press: Next

Press: I Agree

Press: Next ( Leave Default)

Now the install options: keep everything checkedExcept the last one which is a yahoo toolbar install ( have it unchecked)

Press: Install

Press: Finish

now open ccleaner from the desktop

when it opens/ scroll all the way to the bottom and checkmark all the boxes till you reach advanced check mark that box you will get alot of prompts just press ok for them all then after it is finished you need to uncheck a few of them

we will start from the top

under the Internet Explorer section uncheck Autocomplete Form History

scroll all the way back down to the bottom in the advanced section and uncheck the bottom 2 Hotfix Fix Uninstallers / Custom Files and Folders

now press run cleaner ( you will be prompted to close all internet browsers ( you need them closed to run the cleaner or it will not clean)

for the first time it will take a few minutes to clean after it has ran, run it 1 more time then on the left select Registry ( have all these checkmarked and scan for issues this might also to a few after its finished (checkmark all the issues if not done so already) select fix selected issues ( make a backup sense it is the first time cleaning ( save it to yer documents folder) then select Fix All Selected Issues.

I've been playing around with a VNC connection between my desktop and my ipod touch.

Two questions:

1. I'm using real VNC on my desktop with a new password (not the default). Can i keep it running at all times without worry or is that a huge security risk?

2. Will this VNC connection work outside of my home wireless network?

I remember reading somewhere that you had to change the IP to some other number for it to work outside of the network or something like that.

Guest shai_hulud

I think it should be secure. I would use a password like "oldmcdonaldhadafarmeieio" or something. I only messed around with VNC a little bit, maybe casek will know more about this.

That's cool the Touch can VNC into your desktop, though.