<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Ok... so I am trying to fix my roommates laptop right now... It boots into windows, but doesn't display any icons, the mouse is turned off, and ctrl-alt-dlt doesn't work...

I can boot into safe mode, and run programs through cmd...

I got a bootable version of erd commander that i just burned... (thanks for the demoniod invite seffiks)... but it won't boot it... it also won't run it from cmd... Actually it won't run anything from cmd... it just opens the program window then shuts it down immediately...

any suggestions...

edit: also a xp pro cd key would be nice.. then i can just do a clean install... fuck it...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
When ever i watch a movie on my computer now it lags ALOT!

This shit never happened before i reinstalled Windows Xp.

you watching it from a dvd/ or is it downloaded/ is it mounted to a virtual drive?/ do you have hyperthreading on yer laptop? and what dvd decoder do you got installed? try another codec because some work better than others wheen it comes to dvd playback

Ok... so I am trying to fix my roommates laptop right now... It boots into windows, but doesn't display any icons, the mouse is turned off, and ctrl-alt-dlt doesn't work...

I can boot into safe mode, and run programs through cmd...

I got a bootable version of erd commander that i just burned... (thanks for the demoniod invite seffiks)... but it won't boot it... it also won't run it from cmd... Actually it won't run anything from cmd... it just opens the program window then shuts it down immediately...

any suggestions...

edit: also a xp pro cd key would be nice.. then i can just do a clean install... fuck it...

use this activator PM......

I have an older laptop with only a floppy drive.

The program Im trying to get onto the laptop from the PC is able to save onto a floppy disc and start up on the PC.

It is not however able to load up on the laptop from the floppy disc.

Good news is, I can install a CD drive into the laptop, and probably use the program on a CD.

But, is there a way to attach a serial cable between the laptop and PC and install the program on the laptop that way?

ummmmm

you got a cd burner?

( does the laptop read CD-r's?)

did you just try to run the program straight from the floppy when inserted into the laptop?

or did you pull the data from the floppy to a folder on the laptop? (which you should do)

are you sure you grabbed all the data for the program?

the reason it runs on the PC is because some data is prolly still stored in the registry and in the windows folder on the PC

do you have the setup.exe for the program ( run the setup and not just the program on the laptop)

you got a cd burner?-----

( does the laptop read CD-r's?)

did you just try to run the program straight from the floppy when inserted into the laptop?

or did you pull the data from the floppy to a folder on the laptop? (which you should do)

are you sure you grabbed all the data for the program?

the reason it runs on the PC is because some data is prolly still stored in the registry and in the windows folder on the PC

do you have the setup.exe for the program ( run the setup and not just the program on the laptop)

Totally forgot about this thread, sorry for the one I made. My laptop only has a floppy drive. Yes, I tried to run the floppy on the laptop straight off. How do I pull the data from the floppy into a folder on the laptop? I hear you about the registry, but I am pretty sure the floppy has all the data. Is there anyway you can transfer programs from the PC to laptop through a cable instead of software? I cant get ahold of a CDROM drive for this laptop, all the portable/USB ones I can find all require more memorry an MHz than what my laptop has. My laptop has a 166mHZ Pentium processor and 32MB of RAM.

Totally forgot about this thread, sorry for the one I made. My laptop only has a floppy drive. Yes, I tried to run the floppy on the laptop straight off. How do I pull the data from the floppy into a folder on the laptop? I hear you about the registry, but I am pretty sure the floppy has all the data. Is there anyway you can transfer programs from the PC to laptop through a cable instead of software? I cant get ahold of a CDROM drive for this laptop, all the portable/USB ones I can find all require more memorry an MHz than what my laptop has. My laptop has a 166mHZ Pentium processor and 32MB of RAM.

damn bro, you might want a new laptop ( pick one up on ebay for 100 that is better than the one you got)

USB pen drive, put pc files on pen drive, remove & insert pen dribe into laptop, copy files.

External zip drives can do same a pen drive.

Network: enable file sharing on both computers and connect them using a crossover cat5 network cable.

email - email the files from the pc to yourself and retrieve the email using the laptop. (note-isp may limit attachment sizes on email)

ftp: your isp probably gives you free web space, ftp upload the files to your free personal web space and download using the laptop.

last but not least if both computerrs are running xp on them the software is built in - Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > File and Settings Transfer Wizard. use a serial cable to both ends and let it run

you watching it from a dvd/ or is it downloaded/ is it mounted to a virtual drive?/ do you have hyperthreading on yer laptop? and what dvd decoder do you got installed? try another codec because some work better than others wheen it comes to dvd playback

Its downloaded to my hard drive. i dont have HTT. I dont think i have a DvD Decoder, i just installed Itunes so i could play the Mpeg-4 but didnt work lags.

what else do you got running ( does it only peak to 80% when you are playing the video?

go to the task manager > processes> press the memory tab that will categorize it from least to most > scroll to the bottom and see whats taking up the memory other then that you may need to go buy some more memory

damn bro, you might want a new laptop ( pick one up on ebay for 100 that is better than the one you got)

USB pen drive, put pc files on pen drive, remove & insert pen dribe into laptop, copy files.

External zip drives can do same a pen drive.

Network: enable file sharing on both computers and connect them using a crossover cat5 network cable.

email - email the files from the pc to yourself and retrieve the email using the laptop. (note-isp may limit attachment sizes on email)

ftp: your isp probably gives you free web space, ftp upload the files to your free personal web space and download using the laptop.

last but not least if both computerrs are running xp on them the software is built in - Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > File and Settings Transfer Wizard. use a serial cable to both ends and let it run

Looks like its going to have to be a USB pen drive, or a zip drive. What is needed to run a Zip drive? Are they universal or require software? The PC and laptop I have share no common software or hardware whatsoever. I am seeing if I can use this thing before I buy it from my homie for $50. The laptop does have two USP ports. What requirements do pen drives need to work?

This mother has invited itself to computer: AVS systemcare

I'm having trouble removing it.. Tried the Google search, but that has yet to completely remove. The only way I can run anything is by going through the Windows Task Manager. I can't use the Start menu and my Desktop is blank.

No idea.

I just reinstalled the latest version of AIM from filehippo, install went fine, then teh fucker decided to eat all my system resources when i tried to close it.

Checked Windows task manager, and it was running my cpu at 100% so I canceled that fucker. AIM is fucking gay, and I hate using pigin as I don't like the interface as much as msn.

Does anyone know how to use the HP restore so I can start my computer afresh, as apparently I have like 65 processes running at once and my computer is getting worse. Should I save all my installed programs before I do this too? Or should I just start afresh?

^^

When you restore your computer, you have the option to completly clean your comp to stock, or restore it, while saving some files and programs.

I did that second option and some of the programs didnt work. I had to re-install them. Not to mention the drivers.....

I would save the files that your really want onto a data disk, and for the programs, if you have the instalation disk, then your fine restoring it at stock.

IOU can you run explorer? sounds similar to the problem i was having with my roommates laptop.. try running explorer from task manager... and you might want to check your registry settings... the file might have messed with settings somewhere? can you use your mouse? do other hot keys work?