<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Apparently my computer's registry is infected by a trojan.vundo and another trojan agent. This PC had symantec virus protection which obviously sucks since it didn't pick up on these infections. I initially was notified after running full scans of Spybot SD and Malwarebytes in safe mode after my computer started acting up.

I decided to switch to free AVG since the Symantec was telling me my PC was clean when it wasn't. I uninstalled all the Symantec software from add and remove software and shortly after that I could no longer browse the web. I am def. connected to the internet but any browser I attempt to use will not load. So now I can not update any of the programs I am using to try and clean the bugs with.

Did removing the symantec programs from the add/remove feature take away my ability to access the web? If so is there anyway to reverse this?

Also, do I need to make changes to my registry to get rid of the trojans since other removal tools don't seem to be working?

Or do I have the conficker and need to kill myself?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can provide some insight and help...

Apparently my computer's registry is infected by a trojan.vundo and another trojan agent. This PC had symantec virus protection which obviously sucks since it didn't pick up on these infections. I initially was notified after running full scans of Spybot SD and Malwarebytes in safe mode after my computer started acting up.

I decided to switch to free AVG since the Symantec was telling me my PC was clean when it wasn't. I uninstalled all the Symantec software from add and remove software and shortly after that I could no longer browse the web. I am def. connected to the internet but any browser I attempt to use will not load. So now I can not update any of the programs I am using to try and clean the bugs with.

Did removing the symantec programs from the add/remove feature take away my ability to access the web? If so is there anyway to reverse this?

Also, do I need to make changes to my registry to get rid of the trojans since other removal tools don't seem to be working?

Or do I have the conficker and need to kill myself?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can provide some insight and help...

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

downlaod and run the norton removal tool.

restart.

download, update, and run an anti malware program such as "spybot search and destroy", "a squared free", etc.

don't forget to immunize your system. spybot does it. spyware blaster block known spyware and malware proggies.

my internet has been slow past few days.... i just noticed that my router (wrt54g) fell off the desk and onto the floor prolly around the time the net started slowing down....... front cover of it fell off when it fell.... got it back together but still not working right..... how can i troubleshoot to prove its fucked up and/or how can i fix it? if its done then what should i get to replace it? i have a $300 store credit to microcenter but i need some of the money to get a wall mount for my 42" hd lcd tv for my new place and some for a halfway decent surround sound set up........

my internet has been slow past few days.... i just noticed that my router (wrt54g) fell off the desk and onto the floor prolly around the time the net started slowing down....... front cover of it fell off when it fell.... got it back together but still not working right..... how can i troubleshoot to prove its fucked up and/or how can i fix it? if its done then what should i get to replace it? i have a $300 store credit to microcenter but i need some of the money to get a wall mount for my 42" hd lcd tv for my new place and some for a halfway decent surround sound set up........

check for firmware updates. make antennas into a "v" shape. not straight up.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

downlaod and run the norton removal tool.

restart.

download, update, and run an anti malware program such as "spybot search and destroy", "a squared free", etc.

don't forget to immunize your system. spybot does it. spyware blaster block known spyware and malware proggies.

Thanks, I'm currently running updated scans and it's finding a ton of junk. Some how, my DNS server configs disappeared and that messed up my browser so I could not update any of the scanners. This scan looks to be more thorough.

How did it die?

i turn it on and nothing happens. the lights on the front turn on. i hear the fan starting up and after about a half second the fan stops. then after about another 3 seconds it starts again only to stop.

nothing comes up on the screen at all.

i didnt drop it.

i dunno what happened to it. i havent had the loot to take it to a repair shop or get it looked at.

ive been having problems with it tho. my internal network adapter(?) to connect to wifi stopped working a few months ago. i ended up getting an external one that plugs into the usb port.

then about a month ago, my laptop started not being able to update. avast, itunes, and a few others would update fine but windows couldnt.

when i took it in to get looked at for the wifi problem the guy said something about HDs going out in these and that the wifi problem was an early symptom.

i think someone else in here told me the same thing when i asked.

also

thanks lastboyscout.

How do I exit Safe Mode in the Firefox browser?

1. 1
    Exit your Firefox browser if it's open. Close all windows. If Firefox is stuck, visit your Task Manager, click on Firefox and select "End Task."
  2. Step 2
    Locate the Firefox shortcut on your computer's desktop. Right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties."
  3. Step 3
    Click on the "Shortcut" tab. Find the "Target" field. Look at the target path and find the phrase "-safe-mode" at the end of it. (If the Firefox path doesn't have the "-safe-mode" extension at the end of it, you are currently running Firefox out of safe mode.)
  4. Step 4
    Position your cursor so that it is to the right of the "e" in "mode." Delete all of the characters in the "-safe-mode" part of the path so that the path ends with "exe."
  5. Step 5
    Select "Apply" and "OK."
  6. Step 6
    Restart Firefox and enjoy it out of safe mode.

i turn it on and nothing happens. the lights on the front turn on. i hear the fan starting up and after about a half second the fan stops. then after about another 3 seconds it starts again only to stop.

nothing comes up on the screen at all.

i didnt drop it.

i dunno what happened to it. i havent had the loot to take it to a repair shop or get it looked at.

ive been having problems with it tho. my internal network adapter(?) to connect to wifi stopped working a few months ago. i ended up getting an external one that plugs into the usb port.

then about a month ago, my laptop started not being able to update. avast, itunes, and a few others would update fine but windows couldnt.

when i took it in to get looked at for the wifi problem the guy said something about HDs going out in these and that the wifi problem was an early symptom.

As you know I have the same laptop, and (knock on wood) so far it's holding up fine. The only problem I've had is that it runs really hot for a dual core, so I avoid doing processor-intensive applications (transcoding movies, watching video and running torrents at the same time, etc.).

Oh yeah, and it's impossible to run XP or to get Linux to work correctly on it. It runs Vista fine, though.

Thanks, I'm currently running updated scans and it's finding a ton of junk. Some how, my DNS server configs disappeared and that messed up my browser so I could not update any of the scanners. This scan looks to be more thorough.

Continuation of this problem...

I ran updated full scans of AVG, Malwarebytes and SpyBotSD 3-4 times each in safe mode and regular and removed a ton of shit. Only three trojan variations remain and seem to replace themselves after each scan/restart I do.

At this point I figure my options are to research manual removal techniques and try to weed out the individual files (not something I'm familiar with). Or do a system restore to an earlier date. Another option I have heard fixed this specific problem is using SuperSpywareKiller. At the same time I also read some stuff saying SSK is corrupt and distributes malware itself? Anybody have recommendations on the easiest option to take? Just want to finally get this shit completely clean. Thanks in advance.

Continuation of this problem...

I ran updated full scans of AVG, Malwarebytes and SpyBotSD 3-4 times each in safe mode and regular and removed a ton of shit. Only three trojan variations remain and seem to replace themselves after each scan/restart I do.

At this point I figure my options are to research manual removal techniques and try to weed out the individual files (not something I'm familiar with). Or do a system restore to an earlier date. Another option I have heard fixed this specific problem is using SuperSpywareKiller. At the same time I also read some stuff saying SSK is corrupt and distributes malware itself? Anybody have recommendations on the easiest option to take? Just want to finally get this shit completely clean. Thanks in advance.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

try panda's new cloud antivirus.

buh buh buh badass.

if you let us know what the trojans name is, we might be able to help you ge tit removed.

Casek,

Do you like this Panda thing more than Antivir? If so, I'm switching.

i'm about to give it a shot. i've been waiting so long for cloud computing to make

the jump into mainstream apps.

btw: i'm reading good stuff about the panda cloud.

I tried the Panda Cloud...and it did nothing.

Do you have to verify the program through your email account or anything? I never received an email to the address provided so I just ran the scan and it took 5 minutes and said no threats were found. I didn't really like the interface so I uninstalled and went back to AVG. It seems like I might have missed a step because that experience didn't live up to what I expected from the video...

BTW the trojans that malwarebytes picks up but cannot clean are:

-Trojan agent(Infection of Registry data)/registry editor/userinstallable.drivers/ab-default and ab-wave

-Trojan Agent(file)/C/System32/win32hlp

-Trojan Downloader(file)/C/system32/Imppcsetup.exe

AVG picks up and cannot clean:

-C/windows/system32/userinit.exe

-win32/cryptor

Thanks.

I tried the Panda Cloud...and it did nothing.

Do you have to verify the program through your email account or anything? I never received an email to the address provided so I just ran the scan and it took 5 minutes and said no threats were found. I didn't really like the interface so I uninstalled and went back to AVG. It seems like I might have missed a step because that experience didn't live up to what I expected from the video...

BTW the trojans that malwarebytes picks up but cannot clean are:

-Trojan agent(Infection of Registry data)/registry editor/userinstallable.drivers/ab-default and ab-wave

-Trojan Agent(file)/C/System32/win32hlp

-Trojan Downloader(file)/C/system32/Imppcsetup.exe

AVG picks up and cannot clean:

-C/windows/system32/userinit.exe

-win32/cryptor

Thanks.

here ya go

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic197873.html

anyone else experience or know why firefox Mem Usage bloats out to like 1/2Gig after long use?

and wheres a good spot to learn about what all those processes are and which ones i can turn off in msconfig?

thanks

Geomat – The main issue with firefox memory consumption is caused by the performance enhancements that come from Fast access memory based caching for images and other cacheable objects. It’s quicker to retrieve images, pages and scripts from a memory based cache then a disk based cache and so if you load a page with a large CSS or allot of images you will use more memory.

It’s always a trade off in this situation as to whether you can spare the memory in order to gain a performance increase in browsing – allot of people seem to think more spare memory = better performance which to a point is true but it does get to a point where you’re paid for this memory so you may as well use it to increase performance of common tasks.

Some things you can do to reduce memory consumption if you want follow:

- ditch un-needed themes, extensions, toolbars..... all these will consume memory under the firefox process and if you don’t use them what’s the point.

- When you minimize then maximise an application then windows will attempt to trim excess memory as it becomes a background process – you may not save allot but you may save a little.

- Restart firefox if your memory footprint – this will clear the memory cache

- About:config is the parameters for firefox to run under. There are numerous settings in here to tune firefox far too many to go into but Google is your friend.

- I’ve not tried this one because when I used firefox I set it to clear download history on shutdown but apparently a bloated firefox download history can consume memory.

Again with processes and what you need and dont need google is the font of allknowledge - but my rule is if I dont recognise it ditch it. Msconfig will also show you the path to the process so if the path is C:\program files\Really fucking important\process.exe then you probably shouldnt get rid.

hope it helps

Isn't Firefox self-contained as far as processes go?

I've been using FF after a long break for the exact same reason (memory leaks) and I'm happy to say they finally took care of that (or so it would seem). Try updating FF and all of your extensions, you'll probably get some memory back.

LUGR- I have a couple programs that might help, so I'll zip them up and send you a link to them.

As you know I have the same laptop, and (knock on wood) so far it's holding up fine. The only problem I've had is that it runs really hot for a dual core, so I avoid doing processor-intensive applications (transcoding movies, watching video and running torrents at the same time, etc.).

Oh yeah, and it's impossible to run XP or to get Linux to work correctly on it. It runs Vista fine, though.

best of luk to you

i really like it. im just so fucking glad i got an external HD like 3 weeks before this.

is it expensive to get a new HD installed?

would it be more practical to get it repaired or to get a new one?

http://www.directron.com/wd1600bevs.html

There's the drive you need, and it's not hard to put them in yourself (takes a screwdriver and 5 minutes).

That's assuming that it's actually the drive and not something else. To check that, download this-

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdamnsmalllinux.org%2F&ei=Nnj7Sb6THIOQtAPvyOTqAQ&usg=AFQjCNE9r8ImeVb-vgqER1uO8lj4OsYFAA

-burn it as an ISO onto a CD, then try booting from it (turn on the computer and press F9 at POST, and select the boot from CD option). If it starts up and gets you to a desktop then you're probably okay. I'd double check and see before you bought a drive you don't need, though.

thanks, woah that about:config is comprehensive it seems.. always keep it up to date and no silly themes etc.. and the msconfig yeah i just need to take the time to trial and error it, cheers

on a side note on updates, i always keep my winXP update but i now have the 'victim' of non-genuine software annoying popups etc:

mate came round the other night with his new laptop, he had to get it with vista as it's new and high end but wisely stripped vista, tried to install XP, couldn't, so installed unbuntu9 and runs xp in VM which he is loving, best of both worlds, claims he doesn't need to update windows now cause it's untouchable inside the virtualness, thoughts? think i'm goin get a new drive and move to this sorta setup, it's been too long since i played with debian but all my CAD stuff needs windows..

check for firmware updates. make antennas into a "v" shape. not straight up.

it was so bad i couldnt even get the linksys site to load.... but i ended up fixing it by cycling the power and pulling the battery out of my comcast modem, and cycling the router power..... i think something funky happened between the router and modem after the router hit the floor...

one thing thats weird though is that although the signal strength is steady 'excellent' the speed of the connection is staying between 11 and 24 mbps....... it was at a steady 54 prior to all this bs......

quick question: i need a wall mount for my 42" lcd hdtv and a surround sound system too..... i have about $300 total to spend at microcenter.com

any suggestions on whats i should get? also whats anyone with a wall mounted tv do for holding the cable box, dvd player, receiver, wii, etc...............? keep in mind i gotta keep it child proof........

it was so bad i couldnt even get the linksys site to load.... but i ended up fixing it by cycling the power and pulling the battery out of my comcast modem, and cycling the router power..... i think something funky happened between the router and modem after the router hit the floor...

one thing thats weird though is that although the signal strength is steady 'excellent' the speed of the connection is staying between 11 and 24 mbps....... it was at a steady 54 prior to all this bs......

quick question: i need a wall mount for my 42" lcd hdtv and a surround sound system too..... i have about $300 total to spend at microcenter.com

any suggestions on whats i should get? also whats anyone with a wall mounted tv do for holding the cable box, dvd player, receiver, wii, etc...............? keep in mind i gotta keep it child proof........

yeah, something definitely happened to your router.

no ideas for the all mounts. mine came from an online place that i cannot recall at the moment.

as for childproofing:

http://www.instructables.com/tag/?sort=none&q=shelves&limit:type:id=on&offset=20http://www.instructables.com/tag/?sort=none&q=shelves&limit:type:id=on&offset=20

browse instructables. i'm sure there's something for you in there.

gah. is your little one already walking jb?

not yet, but hes mobile as fuck.... 8 months old as of yesterday.....he wont even crawl, but he rolls over like crazy to get where he wants, and he gets into everything.....

we are moving to a new spot in a couple weeks and we are just trying to keep everything safe from the start cuz time flies and he will be walking soon enough...

plus hes got a little brother due in 3 months, so we wanna be able to let him run around and entertain himself while we focus on the new baby.......

heres a few recent pics of lil man and the wife.....

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg