IRAK CREW CLOTHING

The Hipster

response on Wooster to the earlier Irak article

Joe responds to today's NYT article on Simon Curtis from the Irak Crew:

"I love your site and have been doing graffiti/street art in some form or another and following it since about 1989. But I do not agree at all about that Simon Curtis article being so great from the Times. This dude acted like a fool, straight up and people are gonna glorify yet another suburban kid and his friends who obviously come from above avearge lifestyles and come to New York acting up and gettin all fucked up on whatever, and then they are made out to be some kind of cool, hip rebels. I am sorry, but I went through hanging in NYC since I was about 15, skating, chillin, doing whatever. Everyone experimented with this and that, got wild, went out, partied, had their fun, etc, etc. So why then is this dude made out to be some "graf rebel". The media comes up with some of the wackest, conrniest stories on things they don't know the half of. It's the same dumb scenario over and over. "Oh he hung out with a crazy group of bandits, he did this and that, he got fucked up" blah blah blah. What a fuckin dumb situation that was. I am not impressed at all with a 31 year old man getting all fucked up and then wondering why the fuck he got into some stupid situation like that. You're not 18 anymore. Yeah it was a prank, yeah he was fucked up on who knows what, but you start putting people's lives and well being at stake, and not knowing when to stop, and you are a grown man, you deserve what you get. If these were kids from the ghetto, they would have never heard the end of it. It would have been attempted murder charges. But these are some rich kids driving around in daddy's mercedes and acting like they are living the rough life. I see way too much of that these days. And then the stupid media bullshit of how they try to portray the dark underworld of what these kids do. It's so corny. The lower east side stopped being any kind of underworld about 15 years ago, so people need to chill with the dramatics. I am just really not impressed with a lot of these portrayals from young artists who have so much, go to expensive ass colleges and pretend they have nothing and are made out to be some kind of geniuses. I am way more impressed with artists who are doing their thing on the down low, not getting all fucked up every night, just into creating and being themselves. Not having to wear all the trendy $100 nike dunks and pre-ripped $100 soho boutique pants. Everyone is trying to live out some NYC fantasy that they saw in movies and read in books, and now they want to pretend they are a part of some movement. NYC will always be one of my favorite places and I grew up here, but any original movements died a long time ago. Maybe that's why all these so called hip people are trying to move near the projects in Brooklyn now, so they can try to convince people they are living the struggle. Life is just not like that in NYC anymore unless you are in the projects. It is the same thing with graffiti, a lot of street art people do not have respect for the art that started what they do. Cost and Revs were doing it years ago, it just wasn't labeled as anything else but graff. Tons of people were doing stickers back then. It just got bigger now and is evolving. But it seems like a lot of street artists really don't know the unwritten rules of it such as going over other people's shit. That's flat out disrespect to wheat paste over a fill in that is someone else's art creation. I am into both street art and graff and I will tell you, if a graff writer saw that happening to his fill in, he'd be pissed and probably fight the dude. Don't get me wrong, a lot of graff writers are caught up in so much unnecessary drama that is such bullshit like all the beef between writers. I could ramble on and on and I am sure you might not agree with everything and it is no disrespect to you directly, I just felt the need to give you my 2 cents on this. I know a lot of street artists and graff wirters are good people with good hearts, but this is aimed more towards the ones who are glorified for all the wrong things, living some soap opera lifestyles that they created all by themselves. I just don't think it is something to look up to when you have these cool people who try to do the right thing and are more on the down low with their art and personalities, not trying to live the rock star lifestyle.

PEACE and keep up the good work!"

Joe

http://www.woostercollective.com

also http://www.hurtyoubad.com for the notification via there blog

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been good friends with Sam, Simon, and Ryan, years ago when i too went to Parsons....I had lost contact with them before these events had took place...But had heard about that night, after it happened....I had no idea that Simon spent a year upstate for that shit...Although his actions that night were very much wrong, Simon was a very good person...Big heart, but it does not surprise me at all that this shit happened...This is an example of when the alcohol and drugs blind you from what is really meaningful in life....This is why the glorification of the hard drug life is troubling...Because going to jail is going to happen, or even death, if you live like that for too long...Constantly getting drunk and high is not cool...Shit, Dash had liver failure???That is sad...Not surprising though....Im just glad no one ended up dead...I hope things really have slowed down...After i left NYC, i carried a lot of the "I dont give a fuck attitude" back to where i grew up and lost 5 years of my life to alcohol and drugs...Ive finally ended up on the right track again...If Simon, or anyone who knows him reads this (i know simon used to come on here back in the day), I still got love for yall...I hope you are allright....JEMS KFD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is very true....

Joe responds to today's NYT article on Simon Curtis from the Irak Crew:

"I love your site and have been doing graffiti/street art in some form or another and following it since about 1989. But I do not agree at all about that Simon Curtis article being so great from the Times. This dude acted like a fool, straight up and people are gonna glorify yet another suburban kid and his friends who obviously come from above avearge lifestyles and come to New York acting up and gettin all fucked up on whatever, and then they are made out to be some kind of cool, hip rebels. I am sorry, but I went through hanging in NYC since I was about 15, skating, chillin, doing whatever. Everyone experimented with this and that, got wild, went out, partied, had their fun, etc, etc. So why then is this dude made out to be some "graf rebel". The media comes up with some of the wackest, conrniest stories on things they don't know the half of. It's the same dumb scenario over and over. "Oh he hung out with a crazy group of bandits, he did this and that, he got fucked up" blah blah blah. What a fuckin dumb situation that was. I am not impressed at all with a 31 year old man getting all fucked up and then wondering why the fuck he got into some stupid situation like that. You're not 18 anymore. Yeah it was a prank, yeah he was fucked up on who knows what, but you start putting people's lives and well being at stake, and not knowing when to stop, and you are a grown man, you deserve what you get. If these were kids from the ghetto, they would have never heard the end of it. It would have been attempted murder charges. But these are some rich kids driving around in daddy's mercedes and acting like they are living the rough life. I see way too much of that these days. And then the stupid media bullshit of how they try to portray the dark underworld of what these kids do. It's so corny. The lower east side stopped being any kind of underworld about 15 years ago, so people need to chill with the dramatics. I am just really not impressed with a lot of these portrayals from young artists who have so much, go to expensive ass colleges and pretend they have nothing and are made out to be some kind of geniuses. I am way more impressed with artists who are doing their thing on the down low, not getting all fucked up every night, just into creating and being themselves. Not having to wear all the trendy $100 nike dunks and pre-ripped $100 soho boutique pants. Everyone is trying to live out some NYC fantasy that they saw in movies and read in books, and now they want to pretend they are a part of some movement. NYC will always be one of my favorite places and I grew up here, but any original movements died a long time ago. Maybe that's why all these so called hip people are trying to move near the projects in Brooklyn now, so they can try to convince people they are living the struggle. Life is just not like that in NYC anymore unless you are in the projects. It is the same thing with graffiti, a lot of street art people do not have respect for the art that started what they do. Cost and Revs were doing it years ago, it just wasn't labeled as anything else but graff. Tons of people were doing stickers back then. It just got bigger now and is evolving. But it seems like a lot of street artists really don't know the unwritten rules of it such as going over other people's shit. That's flat out disrespect to wheat paste over a fill in that is someone else's art creation. I am into both street art and graff and I will tell you, if a graff writer saw that happening to his fill in, he'd be pissed and probably fight the dude. Don't get me wrong, a lot of graff writers are caught up in so much unnecessary drama that is such bullshit like all the beef between writers. I could ramble on and on and I am sure you might not agree with everything and it is no disrespect to you directly, I just felt the need to give you my 2 cents on this. I know a lot of street artists and graff wirters are good people with good hearts, but this is aimed more towards the ones who are glorified for all the wrong things, living some soap opera lifestyles that they created all by themselves. I just don't think it is something to look up to when you have these cool people who try to do the right thing and are more on the down low with their art and personalities, not trying to live the rock star lifestyle.

PEACE and keep up the good work!"

Joe

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Jun 29 2005, 09:02 PM

for those that don't know....

jason dill has been an underground legend for years. ever stop to think that he's affiliated with these people cos they are on his dick, and not the other way around?

i dont know,

ever since he left 101, i think hes been lost,

trying to find another niche,

cause he was hot shit with 101,

then he fell off a while,

then got down with Alien...

then he was just going back and forth between coasts, gettin grimier and grimier,

i remember seeing him skating in ny round the late 90s, with most of the supreme cats,

then he got hooked up with earsnot, i assume

whom around the mid to late 90s, was just doing the irak thing on the low,

only catchin tags at the skate spots, and not really painting as much.

then dill fell hard to the nyc party scene, like many cali skaters come to ny for...

and just got hooked, and been here ever since.

1977back.jpg

1977 + IrakNY present: Misfits Night - tonight!

Misfits Night! Tonight, Wednesday July 6th 2005, 10PM. Live performance by A.R.E. Weapons, DJ's Jake Boyle and Daniel Jackson of Surface to Air, plus and exclusive Tshirt by Kent Irak! Joe's Pub on Latfayette in NYC, see flyer for details...

only found this aday late!

• 3 weeks later...

Bombers

Works by:

Earsnot

Giz

JA

Nato

Skuf

VFR

Bombers is a collaboration between Jeffrey Charles Gallery, Martinez Gallery (Brooklyn, NY) with Antonio Zaya and Whitechapel Project Space. The show will be divided between Jeffrey Charles Gallery and Whitechapel Project Space, just around the corner at 20 Fordham Street. Bombers is a group show of New York graffiti art spanning the last three decades. The show includes work by six of the leading exponents of the NYC graf scene since the Reagan years: Earsnot, Giz, JA, Nato, Skuf and VFR.

To visit certain institutions within the 'new' New York, that disremembered, forgotten, or simply amnesiac city, is to be assaulted by a seemingly unprecedented strategy of reactionary conceptual revisionism with respect to graffiti. It's a vision that tries to trick us, to make us unwilling participants in a shameful communion, all strapped to the same heavy grindstone. But we shouldn't miss out, instead, on the chance to show the work of artists who have, historically and legitimately, blazed a path of courage and honesty; pioneers with a body of work so different than can be found in so-called Piecing, legality, muralism and the 'Fine Arts.' Thus we will be able to cross all the 't's,' as it were, a kind of insurance and plan of attack against that lone naïf that still lets himself, from ignorance or weakness, be fooled by the machinations of the market, by the deep discounts of the slow summer months.

The primary examples of this bloodline of real, authentic Bombers in New York City are VFR, in the mid 1980s, JA, starting in mid 80s, NATO since 1990, Skuf and Giz from 1993, and Earsnot from 1998. This group, which have, individually and in a collective sense, dominated the graffiti scene in the form's Mecca for 20 years, brings their work across the Atlantic to spread the message that they have been toiling at for their whole creative lives:

That not one of them kowtows before the idols of (1) legality, which of course changes with time; (2) Muralism, practiced so majestically by the Mexicans in the wake of their 20th century revolution (Orozco, Rivera, Siquieros) and from which Jackson Pollock, among many others, learned so much; nor (3) the 'Fine Arts,' which are the exact opposite of the kind of work seen, for example, in the extraordinary Thomas de Quincey, that opium-eating murderer of art and life; and of course (4) the piecing, or assembly-line repetition that feeds the hungry maw of the market; not to mention even remoter influences, each with their appellation d'origin.

Before this great conceptual swindle, which won't even admit to its own name, only the Bombers propose to do battle, Counter Current. Only the Bombers dare to look across the river of lies that so many pay tribute to, that so many permit by averting their eyes -- those mute masses that know nothing of true graffiti and even less of its spirit, philosophy and world vision. 'Bombers' preaches the real gospel of the street: anarchism, iconoclasm and revolution.

Jeffrey Charles Gallery is an artist-run space. Bombers is the 15th show.

Private view Thursday 24 July 6-9pm

Image: a work by Earsnot

Hours: Saturdays 12-6 or by appointment

Jeffrey Charles Gallery

34 Settles Street

London

E1 1JP

Whitechapel Project Space

20 Fordham Street

London

E1 1HS

Wow!

'Extreme Hipsters' isnt that bordering on an being an oxymoron.

Seems as if the 'lifestyle' of a real hardcore writer is being hijacked by those

on the fringes of the culture.

We all have a friend who turned out to be

mentaly challenged in later life (or eventualy dead),

due to excess partying during thier younger years.

Hipster shit is starting to look real tired real fast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived