Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

Guest Sparoism

Hey, Mainter, I might need that prefetch app too...I think I deleted that .ini a while back (bad advice) but my comp seems to be no worse for it...anything helps, though.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Sparoism@Feb 10 2006, 02:03 PM

Hey, Mainter, I might need that prefetch app too...I think I deleted that .ini a while back (bad advice) but my comp seems to be no worse for it...anything helps, though.

besure to check if its there goto start/run type PREFETCH it will come up and check if the layout.ini is there like before its only on some computers that it will not come back

Repairing the Prefetch Folder:

If this has happened to your prefetch folder DON'T WORRY because here is how, in 5 easy steps how you can rebuild the -> (layout.ini) <- file again.

1): make sure that the task scheduler is enabled. If you are un-sure, go to-> Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/ Click on Services/ Then in the list of services make sure the Task Scheduler is enabled & restart the service by clicking on Start. Close the Services Folder & go back to desktop.

2): Then go to START/RUN/ and TYPE IN/->cmd<-(without the arrows) CLICK OK. This will bring up the DOS Command screen.

3): You will need to copy and paste this entry in at the flashing cursor

-> rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks <-(without the arrows) and press ENTER.

4): Now reboot three times and your Prefetch folder will be rebuilt. (It takes 3 reboots for the prefetch folder to work out what it needs)

5): Then go BACK to ->Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/ / Services/ Once again find TASK SHEDULER in the list and stop the service and then set it to disabled. This will stop any more entries going into your Prefetch folder.

If you need to leave your task scheduler enabled, (No Drama) you will just have to clean out your Prefetch folder manually from time to time. Just remember not to remove the layout.ini file

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 10 2006, 02:10 PM

i usually delete the cookies and temp files on the regular (and run adaware)... but wouldnt that only effect browser speeds and shit?

im gonna try all this shit as soon as i get home... and then im gonna get in a fight with my girl cuz im not givin her any attention... but fuck it... if some of this ish works i'll be happy.

give it to her on V :love2: day and tell her to shutup til lthen

Originally posted by Mainter+Feb 10 2006, 02:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Feb 10 2006, 02:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-johnny ballbags@Feb 10 2006, 02:10 PM

i usually delete the cookies and temp files on the regular (and run adaware)... but wouldnt that only effect browser speeds and shit?

im gonna try all this shit as soon as i get home... and then im gonna get in a fight with my girl cuz im not givin her any attention... but fuck it... if some of this ish works i'll be happy.

give it to her on V :love2: day and tell her to shutup til lthen

[/b]

take a few screenshots lemme look

or type out the list

so you could go to the folder... view/details... arange by date... select the old ones... shft+dlt... no harm done...?

i thought all those suggestions came from Mainter... didnt even see that that was you, mv... i though maint was arguing with himself or thinkin out loud or something...

my brain saw the m on your post and filled in the rest for me i geuss..

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 10 2006, 04:38 PM

so you could go to the folder... view/details... arange by date... select the old ones... shft+dlt... no harm done...?

i thought all those suggestions came from Mainter... didnt even see that that was you, mv... i though maint was arguing with himself or thinkin out loud or something...

my brain saw the m on your post and filled in the rest for me i geuss..

hahahha that was funny.........

but yeah you can do that or like that program i posted called ccleaner it will do it for you

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle@Feb 10 2006, 02:48 PM

What about the whole AGX (?) / PCI Plus deal? The guy at the store said he needed to know which one it was...

AGP and PCI-Express are two different types of connections for graphics cards on the motherboard. PCI-Express is a newer technology, so the newest graphics cards use it. AGP is older, but not by much... it's still enough for most people.

2004_pcie_008.gif

That's the best photo I could find in 1.5 minutes of searching (ha) to show the difference between how they look. Look at your motherboard and see what you have. AGP will be indented closer towards the center... that's probably the easiest way of telling.

Guest Sparoism

Thanks, Mainter...I just made a note of that, so maybe later on tonight I'll look into it.

Casek, any word on why my Looking Glass CD won't boot? I'm bummed, I'd like to try it out.

One of my friends may or may not have dropped her laptop and now it's acting up.

Her warranty doesn't cover dropping.

Supposing she did drop her laptop, she would have to lie to get it fixed under warranty.

Would the manufacturer be able to tell that the laptop had been dropped?

Any suggestions on how she should say it was damaged?

-fuse.

Originally posted by fuse=--action@Feb 10 2006, 08:16 PM

One of my friends may or may not have dropped her laptop and now it's acting up.

Supposing she did drop her laptop, she would have to lie to get it fixed under warranty.

-fuse.

add more info on that

what is it doing?

yes they can tell if its dropped

open it up and press in the hardware it prolly came loose thats it

once i got alcohol to burn the barely naked xp i realized i had no clue what i was doing

not sure if after i unzip the first rar do i unzip the other ones.. or keep them zipped

and then in alcohol wich i never used ... i wasnt sure as to how to burn the image tp a cdr

or could i just burn it with anything as a data cd? or should i have used alcohol 52 instead of 120?

Originally posted by Mainter+Feb 10 2006, 10:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Feb 10 2006, 10:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fuse=--action@Feb 10 2006, 08:16 PM

-fuse.

add more info on that

what is it doing?

yes they can tell if its dropped

open it up and press in the hardware it prolly came loose thats it

[/b]

It often tells her that it needs to restart.

And you can't really move it because it will do the same thing.

Sliding it across a surface is alright though.

So I gues it's as long as you don't lift it or move it quickly.

-fuse.

All theoretically of course.